Gender information for academic purposes

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.

Which gender are you?

You may select 1 option

View results

JECE

Re: Gender information for academic purposes

#21 Post by JECE » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:09 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:36 pm
Apparently Ashburn (in the USA) is a major hub for Internet data centres, so I'd guess we don't actually have hundreds of users living there.
Or maybe we do with all the bots.

But yes, Northern Virginia has a lot of data centers.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

momom2

#22 Post by momom2 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:29 am

Kestasjk, this infographic is incredibly helpful! Where did you find it?

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#23 Post by kestasjk » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:34 am

momom2 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:29 am
Kestasjk, this infographic is incredibly helpful! Where did you find it?
No worries, it's from google analytics. Trying to add some more tags etc in there as it's kinda hard to tell which parts of the site are doing well, bot games, play.webdiplomacy.net, legacy vs new, etc, so as I add some more of these tags the data should get more useful

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#24 Post by gimix » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:08 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Apparently Ashburn (in the USA) is a major hub for Internet data centres, so I'd guess we don't actually have hundreds of users living there.
Kestas, as Jamie said traffic from Ashburn is traffic by bots, moving from the big data centers Amazon and others have there. You can easily check that, just by looking at the average length of those visits: it should be 0.0 seconds :lol:

That said, I wonder how are these bots classified in terms of age & gender & interests...

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#25 Post by kestasjk » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:50 am

gimix wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:08 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Kestas, as Jamie said traffic from Ashburn is traffic by bots, moving from the big data centers Amazon and others have there. You can easily check that, just by looking at the average length of those visits: it should be 0.0 seconds :lol:

That said, I wonder how are these bots classified in terms of age & gender & interests...
Hmm, I would've thought analytics would filter bot visits out..

Ultimately our usage right now looks like this:
Screenshot 2023-08-26 174724.jpg
If it's all bots from Ashburn(?) I do wonder why it would vary over time, how they would decide it's male / female etc.. I definitely need to do better about our stats and that's a work in progress, but I think that how these numbers vary over time isn't only due to what's going on in Ashburn (and these aren't great numbers by any stretch)

Don't get me wrong this could all be bot activity and a red herring, we need better tags etc in place to be able to tell and that'll be in place soon

edit: Where are our African and Arabic friends btw? Why would they not be into playing European conquerors? /s