Rhubarb Pie

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
sweetandcool

Re: Rhubarb Pie

#21 Post by sweetandcool » Tue May 30, 2023 1:28 am

DougJoe wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 1:19 am
sweetandcool wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 10:25 pm
Bay leaf kind of reminds me of nutmeg.

Your version of vanilla sounds yummy (:

Also, I forgot to acknowledge that berries are a fine addition that I forgot about.

Yeah, I'd encourage you to try infusing your milk/cream with flavour, since you can do just about anything. Earl Grey is another choice I really like.
Ah, ok. I do use lots of nutmeg usually.
Foxcastle wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 12:47 am
I have only seen rhubarb in combination with strawberry. I do not myself care for it.
I did not like it when I was younger, way too tart. That was a few dozen orbits back, though.
That's funny, I've always found strawberry-rhubarb to be sickly sweet. I think grocery stores and home cooks tend to go overboard with the sugar and strawberries, in an attempt to tame the tartness of the rhubarb.

Bonatogether

#22 Post by Bonatogether » Tue May 30, 2023 2:42 am

DougJoe wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 2:19 pm
Is it a thing where you live? If so, what do you think of it? (Especially those of you on the other side of the big pond - I've watched a lot of GBBO and tastes seem different when it comes to fruit pies such that I'm really curious). We have a small patch of Rhubarb in our yard and my wife made a spectacular pie yesterday and it got me wondering...
i highly support

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#23 Post by gimix » Tue May 30, 2023 7:43 am

In Italy rhubarb is mainly used to make a relatively light liqueur, the most well-known brand being Rabarbaro Zucca.
But ages ago my grandma always had rhubarb candies for me, bittersweet and so good. Or the even more bitter boldo/artichoke ones. I still remember that taste, although I still don't know what Boldo is :D

brainbomb

#24 Post by brainbomb » Tue May 30, 2023 7:35 pm

pretty sure rhubarb is toxic if you eat the leaves of it

Octavious

#25 Post by Octavious » Tue May 30, 2023 9:32 pm

gimix wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 7:43 am
In Italy rhubarb is mainly used to make a relatively light liqueur, the most well-known brand being Rabarbaro Zucca.
But ages ago my grandma always had rhubarb candies for me, bittersweet and so good. Or the even more bitter boldo/artichoke ones. I still remember that taste, although I still don't know what Boldo is :D
We made rhubarb gin one year. Sadly it tasted of rhubarb.

Truth be told I don't mind rhubarb. The trouble is that rhubarb plants make far more rhubarb than you could possibly want. Crumble is far inferior to pie, and rhubarb pie is far inferior to apple and blackberry pie (which is the king of desert pies). But a stick of rhubarb dunked in sugar is pleasant enough, and rhubarb when cooked benefits massively from ginger.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

DougJoe

#26 Post by DougJoe » Wed May 31, 2023 1:30 pm

Octavious wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:32 pm
Truth be told I don't mind rhubarb. The trouble is that rhubarb plants make far more rhubarb than you could possibly want. Crumble is far inferior to pie, and rhubarb pie is far inferior to apple and blackberry pie (which is the king of desert pies). But a stick of rhubarb dunked in sugar is pleasant enough, and rhubarb when cooked benefits massively from ginger.
Straight apple pie is still my favorite, and I also prefer a pie to a crumble, although when I make apple I will sometimes do a pie crust with a crumble top because pastry hates me and I get flustered and impatient enough and just say "screw it" instead of doing a full or lattice top.

My wife has made simple syrup out of rhubarb to use in cocktails, it works pretty well. You're not wrong about growing more than can be used at the time when it is ripe, although a couple of years we've frozen some to use later.

Ginger, eh? Gotta try that.

DougJoe

#27 Post by DougJoe » Wed May 31, 2023 1:50 pm

sweetandcool wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 1:28 am

That's funny, I've always found strawberry-rhubarb to be sickly sweet. I think grocery stores and home cooks tend to go overboard with the sugar and strawberries, in an attempt to tame the tartness of the rhubarb.
...gotta avoid that strawberry pie goo they sell at the stores.

Mark Murray
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#28 Post by Mark Murray » Wed May 31, 2023 6:06 pm

Rhubarb Pie is awesome. My mother made it with and without strawberries. I have not had any in a long time. I often look for it but cannot find it in the area where I live now. I don't know if I'd like anyone else's rhubarb pie because I would compare it to my mother's. Much like I don't totally enjoy anyone else's Lasagna other than my mother-in-law's Lasagna. She made the best.