Should AI have more civil liberties than an animal

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
brainbomb

Should AI have more civil liberties than an animal

#1 Post by brainbomb » Fri May 19, 2023 5:16 am

Should AI be given more intrinsic rights than an animal?

Octavious

Re: Should AI have more civil liberties than an animal

#2 Post by Octavious » Fri May 19, 2023 5:27 am

No
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Jamiet99uk

Re: Should a pocket calculator have more civil liberties than a cuttlefish?

#3 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri May 19, 2023 10:25 am

It should not have any civil liberties, it is a computer program.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

brainbomb

#4 Post by brainbomb » Fri May 19, 2023 3:10 pm

but it possesses greater intelligence than an animal.

Octavious

#5 Post by Octavious » Fri May 19, 2023 4:30 pm

No it doesn't. AI mimics intelligence, but doesn't have any true intelligence as such. They're little more than complex versions of the MENACE program. Which is rather fun to watch as it "learns" to beat you at noughts and crosses, but isn't remotely intelligent

https://www.mscroggs.co.uk/menace/

brainbomb

#6 Post by brainbomb » Fri May 19, 2023 8:18 pm

Even if false intelligence, it is still a higher level of intelligence than a slug for example. Should AI have more rights than a slug

Octavious

#7 Post by Octavious » Fri May 19, 2023 8:40 pm

Both have zero rights

BrianBaru

#8 Post by BrianBaru » Fri May 19, 2023 9:55 pm

"Should AI have more rights than a slug"
Slugs have the right to lots of butter and garlic.

Jamiet99uk

#9 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat May 20, 2023 12:14 am

brainbomb wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 8:18 pm
Even if false intelligence, it is still a higher level of intelligence than a slug for example. Should AI have more rights than a slug
List the rights you think a slug is entitled to.

Cite relevant laws or treaties if you can.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

brainbomb

#10 Post by brainbomb » Sat May 20, 2023 1:36 am

If a slug becomes an endangered species it will have protected status.

if some guy goes around stepping on every slug he sees it will eventually be a criminal act

an AI is superior in every way to a slug in cognitive abilities and some guy could go around stepping on every AI hard drive server and the AI itself has no civil liberty or right to life

Octavious

#11 Post by Octavious » Sat May 20, 2023 6:02 am

brainbomb wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 1:36 am
If a slug becomes an endangered species it will have protected status.
Lord, no. That's not how these things work. I dare say we've lost several species of slug in our lifetime and were never even aware of it.

If a slug was to be protected it would likely be because it was associated with an endangered habitat. Giving protection to a particular slug independent of a protected habitat is unenforceable as it would not be considered reasonable for someone (a developer, say) to check. If you were to stand on a protected slug whilst having a walk in the fresh air no one is going to prosecute you.

Besides which environmental protection at this level is not linked to intelligence or animal rights, so it's a moot point as far as the AI debate is concerned. One does not consider the rights and civil liberties of a rare moss or a lichen or other such protected forms of life :razz:
brainbomb wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 1:36 am
if some guy goes around stepping on every slug he sees it will eventually be a criminal act
There was a kid at school who did that. It wasn't criminalised ;)

Humans kill literally millions of slugs each year through mass poisoning, mate. It is an eternal slug genocide out there. I don't think your slug world view is grounded in reality.

brainbomb

#12 Post by brainbomb » Thu May 25, 2023 6:01 pm

but as far as intellectual capacities a slug will always fail to produce a coherent argument of any kind, and will never impact new thinking about a subject. Whereas an AI, can and will inevitably do this. So when establishing criteria for rights, and what should have civil liberties: if not the right to life (which you just established with a slug will never matter), then surely right to speak up, defend oneself, or even a faked conscious desire to live, an AI can do all these things where a slug cannot.

So is eligibility for civil liberty exclusive to only a human who can argue their liberty?

Or is civil liberty afforded to sentients and things we deem worthy by some special list of criteria.

To me an AI that can argue for itself is for more deserving of never having the plug pulled on it for example.

If a scientist has a machine he can uplug
a worm he can chop to bits
or a dolphin to slaughter

Which of the three are you arguing deserves the strongest case for some form of protection, liberty, and right to life.

I beleive the AI would have the highest form of value since it can actually defend itself by rational argument.

brainbomb

#13 Post by brainbomb » Thu May 25, 2023 6:02 pm

Flipper cant very well flop off the operating table and say Wait I wanna say goodbye to some people first.

Octavious

#14 Post by Octavious » Thu May 25, 2023 6:26 pm

An AI can't do these things. An AI can search through its memory banks for human responses to questions about the right to life and self defense, throw them through a set of algorithms to merge them together in a pattern that has some kind of logical and grammatical sense, and spit out something that resembles a human argument. But it is no more evidence of artificial intelligent life than a photocopier containing and printing the communist manifesto is evidence that it believes in left wing politics.

Besides which you can unplug it and plug it back in a year later and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. It's impossible to kill it because it isn't alive.

brainbomb

#15 Post by brainbomb » Thu May 25, 2023 6:29 pm

The idea of liberty itself is no more valid of a concept than an AI in the first place. It seems that Liberty is currently afforded to a human life which is created by parents, if an AI is also created by a parent, which infuses this AI with greater capabilities than a human, and greater cognitive awareness than the dumbest human imaginable, it still stands to reason that if this doesnt qualify as deserving of some liberty, than why does a witless 1 year old infant either?

brainbomb

#16 Post by brainbomb » Thu May 25, 2023 6:31 pm

Example, an AI can do more for society than a toddler. If I unplug or delete the code of the AI, and the toddler grows up to be a mass murderer, why then do we give a mass murderer more liberty than a near perfect human replication, which has no ability to kill.

brainbomb

#17 Post by brainbomb » Thu May 25, 2023 6:35 pm

As an example here is my prompt to chat GPT

Provide an argument for why a mass murderer should have less civil liberty than a semi conscious AI, factoring in that the AI is designed to grow, compete, adapt and reason. And that the murderer is insane, violent, dangerous and lacks any form of empathy.

ChatGPT

When considering the civil liberties of individuals, it is important to balance the need for personal freedoms with the potential harm they may cause to society. In the scenario you presented, where a mass murderer and a semi-conscious AI are compared, there are several factors to consider:

Intent and capacity for harm: The mass murderer, described as insane, violent, dangerous, and lacking empathy, has demonstrated a clear intent and capacity for causing harm to innocent people. Their actions directly threaten the safety and well-being of others. On the other hand, the semi-conscious AI, designed to grow, compete, adapt, and reason, lacks intent and consciousness. While the AI may have the potential to cause harm if misused or programmed improperly, its actions would not be driven by malicious intent or personal motives.

Predictability and control: The behavior of the mass murderer, driven by mental illness and lacking empathy, is inherently unpredictable and difficult to control. Their actions pose a significant threat to public safety, as it is challenging to accurately gauge their future behavior and prevent further harm. In contrast, the semi-conscious AI, designed with specific programming and constraints, can be monitored, regulated, and controlled to ensure it operates within predefined parameters. The AI's growth, adaptation, and reasoning abilities can be channeled for positive purposes while mitigating any potential risks.

Rehabilitation and social responsibility: Society has a moral and legal obligation to protect its members from individuals who pose a serious danger. In the case of the mass murderer, their lack of empathy, violent tendencies, and insanity make rehabilitation and reintegration into society extremely challenging. Prioritizing public safety and the well-being of potential victims might require limiting their civil liberties to prevent further harm. In contrast, the semi-conscious AI, being an artificial entity, does not possess personal rights or needs for rehabilitation. Instead, the focus is on ensuring that its growth and development align with ethical and beneficial goals.

Ethical considerations: When comparing the civil liberties of a mass murderer and a semi-conscious AI, it is crucial to consider the inherent value and rights of human life. The mass murderer has infringed upon the rights and lives of others, causing immeasurable suffering. Protecting potential victims and ensuring justice for the victims' families necessitates restrictions on the murderer's civil liberties. The AI, being a non-human entity, does not possess the same inherent value or rights as a human life. However, ethical considerations are still essential in guiding the development and deployment of AI systems to prevent undue harm and promote positive societal outcomes.

In conclusion, the argument for limiting the civil liberties of a mass murderer compared to a semi-conscious AI centers on the intent and capacity for harm, predictability and control, rehabilitation and social responsibility, and ethical considerations. While both individuals may pose potential risks, the inherent dangers posed by a violent, empathy-lacking mass murderer justify greater restrictions on their civil liberties to protect society, compared to a semi-conscious AI that lacks intent, consciousness, and personal motives.

Octavious

#18 Post by Octavious » Thu May 25, 2023 8:46 pm

I'm not sure what a nonsense essay about a "semi-conscious AI that lacks consciousness" is supposed to prove, other than to demonstrate that ChatGPT has no real understanding of what it's writing

Jamiet99uk

#19 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat May 27, 2023 11:56 am

Octavious wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 8:46 pm
I'm not sure what a nonsense essay about a "semi-conscious AI that lacks consciousness" is supposed to prove, other than to demonstrate that ChatGPT has no real understanding of what it's writing
But is it a better essay than a mass murdering toddler would have written?