Is it okay for adults to play videogames?

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Fluminator

Is it okay for adults to play videogames?

#1 Post by Fluminator » Mon May 15, 2023 5:17 pm

I think I lean towards no, but I'm open to arguments to change my mind. There comes a point where you need to live in the real world, and video games are just a form of escapism that is unhealthy.

Society would be better if people spent more time leveling up real skills and getting experience in practical stuff (instead of learning how to stomp on koopas)

President Eden

Re: Is it okay for adults to play videogames?

#2 Post by President Eden » Mon May 15, 2023 5:56 pm

if the real world wanted my attention, it shouldn't have sucked so much

gottem

sweetandcool

#3 Post by sweetandcool » Mon May 15, 2023 6:30 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 5:17 pm
I think I lean towards no, but I'm open to arguments to change my mind. There comes a point where you need to live in the real world, and video games are just a form of escapism that is unhealthy.

Society would be better if people spent more time leveling up real skills and getting experience in practical stuff (instead of learning how to stomp on koopas)
I kind of agree, but kind of disagree. At least, agreeing makes me feel uneasy.

Is there a difference between video games particularly, and recreation generally? Is recreation bad? Does it depend on the recreation? Video games can be educational, can teach strategic thinking, etc. Recreation could be physical and give you exercise. Recreation could also just be drinking copious amounts of booze, which is clearly unhealthy.

I conclude it depends on the type of video games and the frequency of play. Any recreation could be judged positively or negatively in the same scope.

Octavious

#4 Post by Octavious » Mon May 15, 2023 6:56 pm

Yes
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

jamesa7171

#5 Post by jamesa7171 » Mon May 15, 2023 10:34 pm

Is it okay for adults to play Diplomacy?

I think I lean towards no, but I'm open to arguments to change my mind. There comes a point where you need to live in the real world, and Diplomacy is just a form of escapism that is unhealthy.

Society would be better if people spent more time leveling up real skills and getting experience in practical stuff (instead of learning how to stab Austria)

Fluminator

#6 Post by Fluminator » Tue May 16, 2023 1:32 pm

Learning how to stab Austria would have been a good life skill for Germany before WW1 started

brainbomb

#7 Post by brainbomb » Tue May 16, 2023 2:11 pm

Fluminator wrote:

okay joe rogan

Doom427

#8 Post by Doom427 » Tue May 16, 2023 2:28 pm

Looks like I just time traveled to 2003, which is the last time troll bait like this would be believable

Jamiet99uk

#9 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue May 16, 2023 6:26 pm

Fluminator wrote:

What do you call your participation on this website?

Webdiplomacy is an online game.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Jamiet99uk

#10 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue May 16, 2023 6:27 pm

Why don't you let people do whatever they want and drop this navel-gazing fake moralising?

Fucking hell.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

jozoe

#11 Post by jozoe » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:52 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Society is so spoiled that if I spend 100 hours a week on a new Diablo instead of communicating with people, I will lose nothing... I will get pleasant emotions from the game instead of spending my resources on other people, adapting to them, their character, their mood... no, please spare me. :sick:

Jamiet99uk

Re: Is it okay for adults to masturbate for 100 hours a week?

#12 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:32 pm

jozoe wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:52 pm
Fluminator wrote:
Society is so spoiled that if I spend 100 hours a week on a new Diablo instead of communicating with people, I will lose nothing... I will get pleasant emotions from the game instead of spending my resources on other people, adapting to them, their character, their mood... no, please spare me. :sick:
I love communicating with people. Spending quality social time with people I like is my favourite thing.

Jamiet99uk

Re: Is it okay for adults to masturbate for 100 hours a week?

#13 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:06 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:32 pm
jozoe wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:52 pm
Fluminator wrote:
I love communicating with people. Spending quality social time with people I like is my favourite thing.
Having said that I have also spent the past two hours playing videogames.