I am resigning as Archduke of Hell

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
brainbomb

I am resigning as Archduke of Hell

#1 Post by brainbomb » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:12 pm

as many of you have come to know me over the years as Baal, lord of Hell. I have given it alot of thought and with the way things are going currently I find that administering torture to gelugons and baatezu was never my plan for
my life. I had dreams of getting to sit in the deepest layers of hell and speak to Brutus and Cassius about their roles in betrayal of Julius.
Ive decided to step down as lord of hell where I can work on my hobby of taking tasteful photos of peoples forearms.
I know many of you will miss me and hell is going to be just a little colder without me.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: I am resigning as Archduke of Hell

#2 Post by Chaqa » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:22 pm

O Captain my Captain

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#3 Post by dargorygel » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:25 pm

I should lock this post, and ban the so-called author.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#4 Post by Chaqa » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:39 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:25 pm
I should lock this post, and ban the so-called author.
Merge it into a random thread

Octavious

#5 Post by Octavious » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:35 pm

I call bullshit. If you're anything more than a Viscount of Limbo I'll eat my tail
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

PRINCE WILLIAM

#6 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:19 pm

Dear brainbomb, you are mistaken. If you rule in Hell, your title is this of a Prince, not of Archduke. You know, the Prince of Darkness (also the Prince of Lies etc.).

JECE

#7 Post by JECE » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:55 pm

You would know about such things, my prince?
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

Jamiet99uk

#8 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:33 pm

Much respect to Brainbomb for showing solidarity with Gary Lineker.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Octavious

#9 Post by Octavious » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:31 pm

For our non-British audience, Gary Lineker is a man who is given over a million pounds of the British public's money every year for having a head that vaguely resembles the FA Cup.

Jamiet99uk

#10 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:23 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:31 pm
For our non-British audience, Gary Lineker is a man who is given over a million pounds of the British public's money every year for having a head that vaguely resembles the FA Cup.
Haha. Harsh. He is an excellent presenter and was a legend in the game during his playing career.

For our non-British audience, I am making reference to Gary Lineker, a former footballer who is now one of the UK's most recognisable football journalists, and who presents the flagship Saturday evening football programme "Match of the Day". However, he will not be presenting it tonight because of a tweet he posted earlier this week, criticising the UK Government's latest anti-immigration policy (featuring proposed legislation which will breach the UK's international treaty obligations). The BBC have suspended him for this tweet. In solidarity, many other BBC sports pundits and presenters have temporarily resigned or are refusing to appear on BBC sports coverage unless Lineker is re-instated.

So there we are, now you know.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

damo666

#11 Post by damo666 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:46 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:23 pm
Octavious wrote:
Haha. Harsh. He is an excellent presenter and was a legend in the game during his playing career.

For our non-British audience, I am making reference to Gary Lineker, a former footballer who is now one of the UK's most recognisable football journalists, and who presents the flagship Saturday evening football programme "Match of the Day". However, he will not be presenting it tonight because of a tweet he posted earlier this week, criticising the UK Government's latest anti-immigration policy (featuring proposed legislation which will breach the UK's international treaty obligations). The BBC have suspended him for this tweet. In solidarity, many other BBC sports pundits and presenters have temporarily resigned or are refusing to appear on BBC sports coverage unless Lineker is re-instated.

And his ears do not resemble the handles on the FA Cup.

Octavious

#12 Post by Octavious » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:02 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Octavious wrote:

There are a few things we don't know. Rather a lot of companies, for example, include in their contract of employment a social media policy. Whilst I worked at the Environment Agency, for example, I was not allowed to make any posts like Gary's on any social media account where my profession was known. It's easy enough for me to keep my personal opinions entirely separate from my work, but for Gary it is impossible for obvious reasons.

If he has broken his contract (after what one can imagine are multiple warnings from previous actions) then a suspension is perfectly justifiable. Whether or not it is wise of the BBC to do so, or whether it is at all desirable that such terms in contracts can exist, are other matters entirely

Jamiet99uk

#13 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:35 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:02 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Octavious wrote:

There are a few things we don't know. Rather a lot of companies, for example, include in their contract of employment a social media policy. Whilst I worked at the Environment Agency, for example, I was not allowed to make any posts like Gary's on any social media account where my profession was known. It's easy enough for me to keep my personal opinions entirely separate from my work, but for Gary it is impossible for obvious reasons.

If he has broken his contract (after what one can imagine are multiple warnings from previous actions) then a suspension is perfectly justifiable. Whether or not it is wise of the BBC to do so, or whether it is at all desirable that such terms in contracts can exist, are other matters entirely
Oddly, during the Brexit referendum campaign, Gary Lineker campaigned for a "remain" vote. He then publicly backed the "People's Vote" campaign in 2018.

In response to this, in 2018, the BBC made a statement which said:

"Gary is not involved in news or political output for the BBC and, as such, any expression of his personal political views does not affect the BBC's impartiality".

In that context their current position seems odd.

damo666

#14 Post by damo666 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:13 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:35 pm
Octavious wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:02 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:

Oddly, during the Brexit referendum campaign, Gary Lineker campaigned for a "remain" vote. He then publicly backed the "People's Vote" campaign in 2018.

In response to this, in 2018, the BBC made a statement which said:

"Gary is not involved in news or political output for the BBC and, as such, any expression of his personal political views does not affect the BBC's impartiality".

In that context their current position seems odd.
impartiality with respect to political parties I guess. The Leave/Remain being not along party lines.

The latest tweet was clearly against the government party. That's the difference I think. Please note I am not commenting on the rights and wrongs of Lineker's tweet, the BBC or government policy. Just pointing out the difference between the two occasions.

Doom427

#15 Post by Doom427 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:30 pm

Eh, no one went broke betting the bbc is gonna be racist (I assume, I needed the explanation for Jamie's joke)

Jamiet99uk

#16 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:32 pm

This afternoon the England rugby team also demonstrated solidarity with Gary Lineker and Brainbomb, by failing to show up for their match against France.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#17 Post by kestasjk » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:38 am

Sorry to see you go my lord; you helped make Hell the place it is today and I enjoyed my service as your right hand man

Wusti

#18 Post by Wusti » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:30 pm

damo666 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:46 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Octavious wrote:

And his ears do not resemble the handles on the FA Cup.
Britain reserves that honour for their monarch. Oh shit so does Australia. Sick burn backfires in colonial backwoods - news at 11, but not from Gazza
Octavious is an hypocritical, supercilious tit.

Octavious

#19 Post by Octavious » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:06 pm

It is fun to observe that, even though people will insist that he doesn't look like it at all, people instinctively know exactly which part of Gary's head doesn't in any way resemble exactly which part of the cup ;) .