Video Games

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Doom427

Video Games

#1 Post by Doom427 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:48 pm

Let's chat about something a little more fun- what video games have y'all been enjoying?

I've been going through Bayonetta 3, now that my mail order finally got in. It's been fun, if not as good as the first game. Also had some fun with an emulated copy of Valkyrie Profile. It's shockingly beautiful, and the writing has been great, though I've only just started it.

Jamiet99uk

Re: Video Games

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:57 pm

Recently I've finally gotten around to playing The Witcher 3 and it's pretty good I have to say.

I also sometimes play World of Warships.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Octavious

#3 Post by Octavious » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:10 pm

Witcher 3 is up there with FFVII on the all time greats list.

Recently I've been mostly playing Stellaris... which is one of those games that just falls short of being a classic
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Jamiet99uk

#4 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:25 pm

Octavious wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:10 pm

Recently I've been mostly playing Stellaris... which is one of those games that just falls short of being a classic
It looks similar to Master of Orion, a game I certainly enjoyed back in the day.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Doom427

#5 Post by Doom427 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:05 pm

Everyone has nice things to say about Witcher 3- I'll have to give it a shot sometime.

I really liked the first game but I thought making a sequel was a little much- though I've heard both witcher 2 and 3 are better then the first.

Fluminator

#6 Post by Fluminator » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:05 pm

Octavious wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:10 pm

I've been playing through that one recently to replace my obsession with Crusader Kings 2. My latest playthrough I got annhilated after opening an L gate to a borg like race taking over.

Octavious

#7 Post by Octavious » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:17 am

Yeah, shit can happen in a big way very quickly with Stellaris if you're unlucky. The biggest failing is the long periods of time where nothing much seems to happen at all. You just sit there thinking that making the universe as big as possible may not have been such a good idea after all as the only vaguely interesting things seem to be on the other side of it and you can't for the life of you work out what you're meant to research in order to be able to make gateways. Then your main fleet vanishes into the ether because some pitiful neighbour has randomly decided to close their space to you as you were passing through (and apparently just carrying on isn't an option for some reason), and a rival attacks you and steals half your systems.

You start off thinking you rather like the idea of focusing on the gameplay rather than cinematic distractions that used to fill classics like Imperium Galactica... Then you start to miss the distractions... And then you're bloody well craving them whilst zooming in on Earth in a fit of boredom to try and find where you live, only to see a load of cloud in the way.

It is a good game to play whilst watching test cricket

In terms of gaming experience... the general effect is akin to playing Crusader Kings as a Count. It promises so much, then sod all happens, then you die.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience