Why does god always whisper?

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Fluminator

Re: Why does god always whisper?

#21 Post by Fluminator » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:43 am

Bonatogether wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:47 am
these religion threads are stupid

it's just the same 4 or 5 people just going around chest thumping about how their position is self-evidently right and the other side is closed-minded and not listening to them for like 90 posts

why dont yall do something productive with your day? take a walk or look at a flower or do anything worthwhile
To be fair it started fun, but you're totally right now.

Octavious

#22 Post by Octavious » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:33 am

aardvarkarmy wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:30 pm
Octavious wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:40 am
Priests are like lawyers. There's nothing to stop you from doing the work yourself, but at the end of the day they provide a useful shortcut. And, also like lawyers, they have a tenancy to use fancy language that's hard to understand and a lot of them are crooks.
Well, this seems closely related to the "god whispering" problem - if a god has important truths to reveal and important rules to be followed, why should it be necessary to study extensively in a "law library" to discern those truths?
You see a problem?

You seem confused by the message. It's not necessary to do any of those things, and the rules are pretty simple. Don't be a twat and, if you want to make an extra effort, actively try to make things better. And when you are being a twat you tend to feel pretty shitty, which is God's way of telling you that you've made a tit of yourself.

The message is loud and clear. For those people who need a lot of guidance to feel happier with life, this can be found. If you don't need it don't follow it.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Octavious

#23 Post by Octavious » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:00 am

Bonatogether wrote:

why dont yall do something productive with your day? take a walk or look at a flower or do anything worthwhile
Mate... you're a member of a Diplomacy playing website... Glass houses and all that :lol:

Bonatogether

#24 Post by Bonatogether » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:12 pm

i'm only in one gunboat game - i'm not an addict 😎

JECE

#25 Post by JECE » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:29 pm

Octavious wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:33 am
aardvarkarmy wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:30 pm
Octavious wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:40 am
Priests are like lawyers. There's nothing to stop you from doing the work yourself, but at the end of the day they provide a useful shortcut. And, also like lawyers, they have a tenancy to use fancy language that's hard to understand and a lot of them are crooks.
Well, this seems closely related to the "god whispering" problem - if a god has important truths to reveal and important rules to be followed, why should it be necessary to study extensively in a "law library" to discern those truths?
You see a problem?

You seem confused by the message. It's not necessary to do any of those things, and the rules are pretty simple. Don't be a twat and, if you want to make an extra effort, actively try to make things better. And when you are being a twat you tend to feel pretty shitty, which is God's way of telling you that you've made a tit of yourself.

The message is loud and clear. For those people who need a lot of guidance to feel happier with life, this can be found. If you don't need it don't follow it.
For once, Octavious, I completely agree with you! Of course, the bible is loud and clear in telling us not to follow our own moral compass:

https://thebricktestament.com/the_law/f ... 29_19.html
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

JECE

#26 Post by JECE » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:34 pm

Bonatogether wrote:
these religion threads are stupid

it's just the same 4 or 5 people just going around chest thumping about how their position is self-evidently right and the other side is closed-minded and not listening to them for like 90 posts

I completely agree with you, ha ha, and actually spend most of my free time walking and hiking. But boredom brings me back to webDip when there's nothing else to do. By all means, start a more fruitful discussion!
See my full Profile:

Octavious

#27 Post by Octavious » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:31 pm

JECE wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:29 pm
For once, Octavious, I completely agree with you! Of course, the bible is loud and clear in telling us not to follow our own moral compass:
Wow... you've literally listened to nothing anyone has said :razz:. It is almost impressive how rigidly you cling to your belief system and defend it by blocking out the words of potential alternatives.

aardvarkarmy

#28 Post by aardvarkarmy » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:14 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:41 am
aardvarkarmy wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:47 am
Fluminator wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:14 am
Lol I wasn't aware aardvarkarmy was asking about how to get religious knowledge 500+ years ago. My bad
Clever diversionary one-liner.

But - with the partial exception of Mormonism - EVERY religion being discussed in this thread (and pretty much all the other religion-topic threads) are derived from holy books and traditions that range from 1300 to 2000 to 3400 years ago. Bronze age and Iron age stuff.

So, yeah, how that information came into our modern hands is actually the ENTIRE crux of the issue
Islam/Christianity/Judaism, when they were written down they were all pretty readily available and read orally all the time (so your point about - books are bad durr - doesn't really hold either).
How lucky for you to have access to some of the apocryphal writings - isn't modern technology wonderful?

Before the 1500's, EVERY copy was hand-transcribed. Ever try to hand-copy every word in even one book of the gospel?

To say that the writings were "readily available" is ludicrous beyond words.

Any given church/community MIGHT have a letter or two from a church leader, and if they were super lucky, they might have fragmentary bits of what we now call the gospels - most likely selected quotes that the letter-writer sends to support a point he is making in his letter

JECE

#29 Post by JECE » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:41 pm

Octavious wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:31 pm
JECE wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:29 pm
Wow... you've literally listened to nothing anyone has said :razz:. It is almost impressive how rigidly you cling to your belief system and defend it by blocking out the words of potential alternatives.
Ditto, mate. So glad that you took the time to respond to Deuteronomy 29:19-20 and how it isn't relevant to this thread rather than completely ignore it and even cut out that reference from the reply quote.
See my full Profile:

Fluminator

#30 Post by Fluminator » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:30 pm

aardvarkarmy wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:14 pm
Fluminator wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:41 am
aardvarkarmy wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:47 am

Clever diversionary one-liner.

But - with the partial exception of Mormonism - EVERY religion being discussed in this thread (and pretty much all the other religion-topic threads) are derived from holy books and traditions that range from 1300 to 2000 to 3400 years ago. Bronze age and Iron age stuff.

So, yeah, how that information came into our modern hands is actually the ENTIRE crux of the issue
Islam/Christianity/Judaism, when they were written down they were all pretty readily available and read orally all the time (so your point about - books are bad durr - doesn't really hold either).
How lucky for you to have access to some of the apocryphal writings - isn't modern technology wonderful?

Before the 1500's, EVERY copy was hand-transcribed. Ever try to hand-copy every word in even one book of the gospel?

To say that the writings were "readily available" is ludicrous beyond words.

Any given church/community MIGHT have a letter or two from a church leader, and if they were super lucky, they might have fragmentary bits of what we now call the gospels - most likely selected quotes that the letter-writer sends to support a point he is making in his letter
The church later on banned stuff, so yes if you look at certain periods there is a priestly class who censored stuff. That isn't the case now or when it was first written for at least the main abrahamaic religions though. I really don't get why you think some corrupt priests in some periods of history is a compelling argument against religion.
Or your later argument that a lot of people couldn't read so anything written shouldn't be divinely inspired.
It's one of those "so weak I don't know how to respond to it" arguments to me.

Octavious

#31 Post by Octavious » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:58 pm

JECE wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:41 pm
Ditto, mate. So glad that you took the time to respond to Deuteronomy 29:19-20 and how it isn't relevant to this thread rather than completely ignore it and even cut out that reference from the reply quote.
I can give you my response again if it helps

If you ask really nicely I'll even repeat it a third time for you