Study on artificial intelligence and decision making

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Julia.acd

Study on artificial intelligence and decision making

#1 Post by Julia.acd » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:30 pm

Dear Diplomacy players,

I am asking for your help!

I am writing a thesis on the educational potential of Artificial Intelligence for decision-making at the University of Geneva. Therefore, I am looking for players who are willing to train against Diplomacy’s AI and participate in an interview.

If you are interested, please answer to this post. Your participation would be really appreciated and would be a huge help for the end of my cursus.

Thank you all!

- Julia

Jamiet99uk

Re: Study on artificial intelligence and decision making

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:16 pm

How many games would you need us to play, over what sort of time period?
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Tugster

#3 Post by Tugster » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:24 pm

I would love to do this, but against real AIs, that actually know how to play please, like recognize and stop solos, see stalemate lines, etc. The Regular bots on this sight are awful, I would like to play against diplodocus type bots, strong Ais, that are actually good players.

Julia.acd

#4 Post by Julia.acd » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:24 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:16 pm
How many games would you need us to play, over what sort of time period?
It would need to be a three weeks - one month training. However, it is not necessary to train everyday. I just need to see a progression!

Julia.acd

#5 Post by Julia.acd » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:26 pm

Tugster wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:24 pm
I would love to do this, but against real AIs, that actually know how to play please, like recognize and stop solos, see stalemate lines, etc. The Regular bots on this sight are awful, I would like to play against diplodocus type bots, strong Ais, that are actually good players.
Unfortunately, I do not have the resources to design such an algorithm, since it is for my master degree. However, I completely agree with you! It would be so much more interesting and useful…

Tugster

#6 Post by Tugster » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:23 pm

Who controls the real AI Dip players? Diplodocus and the others that can actually play? Why don't you ask them to participate? I mean, not to throw shade on anyone, but the regular normal bots here are so very, very awful... They poach SC when I am trying to stop a solo, they are so very, very easy to solo against, they keep fighting each other when they should set up the lines, they never do. They never change alliances when it is obvious that they should. They look barely in front of their own noses... And signaling to them with support orders nd such is worthless, they never respond to stuff like that. Someone must know who controls the REALLY good AI players, if you can ask us to play, you could ask them to play too, why not? Ask the Mods, they probably know. I just watched a video on you tube from a guy who player in a tourney vs diplodocus and humans mixed. Someone knows how to get the real AIs to show up...

captainmeme

#7 Post by captainmeme » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:08 am

What kind of skill level are you looking for? If the purpose is to train against AI, I guess maybe you're looking for newer or less experienced players?

Bonatogether

#8 Post by Bonatogether » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:16 am

I'd be interested, depending on how the format is set up.

Julia.acd

#9 Post by Julia.acd » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:02 am

captainmeme wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:08 am
What kind of skill level are you looking for? If the purpose is to train against AI, I guess maybe you're looking for newer or less experienced players?
I’m not necessarily looking for new players, as it is the starting point on a study on how to enhance policy makers decision making.

Julia.acd

#10 Post by Julia.acd » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:08 am

Tugster wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:23 pm
Who controls the real AI Dip players? Diplodocus and the others that can actually play? Why don't you ask them to participate? I mean, not to throw shade on anyone, but the regular normal bots here are so very, very awful... They poach SC when I am trying to stop a solo, they are so very, very easy to solo against, they keep fighting each other when they should set up the lines, they never do. They never change alliances when it is obvious that they should. They look barely in front of their own noses... And signaling to them with support orders nd such is worthless, they never respond to stuff like that. Someone must know who controls the REALLY good AI players, if you can ask us to play, you could ask them to play too, why not? Ask the Mods, they probably know. I just watched a video on you tube from a guy who player in a tourney vs diplodocus and humans mixed. Someone knows how to get the real AIs to show up...
Thanks for the info! The AI here was designed in collaboration with a team of searchers from Canada and the US. I am not sure if diplodocus is free of access though, I’m pretty new to this game. If someone knows a bit more about it, tips are more than welcome!

Julia.acd

#11 Post by Julia.acd » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:11 am

For anyone willing to participate, if you could send me your email or WhatsApp number in private. I’ll create a group where I’ll post the infos as soon as everything is settled!

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#12 Post by kestasjk » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:36 am

Tugster wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:23 pm
Glad you’re excited about getting new AI models in; we’re definitely planning to allow different AIs in over time, and a lot of these AIs are trained and tested against players here so we’re right on the cutting edge, but bear in mind the Diplodicus paper was only published a few weeks ago and it takes time to go from research paper to production use. AI models are often created and trained using very powerful computers with very powerful GPUs, and to scale them to play against a whole site isn’t a trivial task.

But watch this space; if you’re looking to play against the best Diplomacy AI you’re in the right place :)

Julia.acd

#13 Post by Julia.acd » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:44 am

Hi everyone!

For anyone willing to participate in the study, if you could send me your email or WhatsApp number in private. I’ll create a group where I’ll post the infos as soon as everything is settled!

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#14 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:40 am

Thanks for the good news Nearly Omniescent Kestas and an opportunity to ingratiate myself with you by giving you a +1

Jamiet99uk

#15 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:49 pm

rowposse wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:42 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:16 pm
How many games would you need us to play, over what sort of time period? slope game
That's not important. I just need to see some kind of improvement.
Really weird to get this answer from a random new account, but ok.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

captainmeme

#16 Post by captainmeme » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:35 pm

That person was a spammer, making random comments to disguise the links they were posting elsewhere. They have now been banned.