What makes your life worth living?

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Tolstoy

What makes your life worth living?

#1 Post by Tolstoy » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:49 am

An honest question. Please explain your answer in detail.

damo666

Re: What makes your life worth living?

#2 Post by damo666 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:05 am

Pondering the very question is sufficient.

Jamiet99uk

#3 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:31 pm

Love. Interactions with other human beings. Helping people to be happy. Music. Hugs. Learning interesting new things. Good sex.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Tugster

#4 Post by Tugster » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:22 am

Actually there is scientific research on this exact topic. University studies on happiness, there is even a happiness institute in Denmark that studies it. Studies have attempted to correlate happiness with various things such as Fame, Career, Money, Success, etc. etc. None of these things correlate in any way with Happiness, some of them have inverse correlations, such as Fame. The only strong correlation is good relationships with other humans => leads to increased happiness, and this is not just your closer circle of partner, family, close friends, it includes all other human interactions, even routine ones with clerks at a store. So, just be kind to all people, and pay attention to the people around you, all the time. It's really that simple. Except while playing diplomacy, of course, dig your knife in and twist it. There ARE exceptions to every rule, of course...

Octavious

#5 Post by Octavious » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:03 am

I've had a look at a few scientific papers on the subject, and there doesn't seem to be any consensus of opinion regarding money and happiness. Whatever your views, there's a scientific study to back it up.

In terms of happiness, hope is a key factor, which I guess can be roughly translated as a belief that things will get better. As you get older this hope is invested less in your self and more in your family that will outlast you. For those with no family (and I use the broadest definition of family here, being the people who are deeply important to you) the potential for happiness is bleak
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Fluminator

#6 Post by Fluminator » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:19 pm

Nothing on this planet makes my life worth living (although family and friends are definitely the closest thing you get)

It's about the bigger purpose behind consciousness and existence, which is a bit of a mystery but also makes it fun. We're parts of the universe that have essentially become self aware and it's clearly a significant thing.

I don't understand the nihilists who so confidently say there is no purpose or meaning to existence. It's a very egotistical view to say that because you personally can't figure it out, there can't be a reason.

We've only scratched the surface of the universe and all that is within, so stop being edgy and continue the important adventure in this corner of the universe.

Strauss

#7 Post by Strauss » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:06 am

A philosophical question. Philosophers usually reply that it is thought itself that makes life worth living. Wisdom, reflection, values ​​and their worth, morals and ethics come only through time, resonance and the leisure to take a step back from today's hectic zeitgeist. And then the adventure begins...

Octavious

#8 Post by Octavious » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:44 am

Philosophers would say that, wouldn't they? A class of people whose chief goal in life is to convince the rest of us that they should be well paid for sitting in a comfy chair and thinking, come up with the idea that what they happen to enjoy doing is in fact the key to human existence. The only surprising thing about this is that so many of the rest of us actually believe it.

JECE

#9 Post by JECE » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:00 pm

Octavious wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:03 am
I've had a look at a few scientific papers on the subject, and there doesn't seem to be any consensus of opinion regarding money and happiness. Whatever your views, there's a scientific study to back it up.
I thought that there was a consensus about the importance of having enough resources to cover your basic needs. Without that, happiness is more difficult, but there obviously have to be diminishing returns after the basics are met.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

JECE

#10 Post by JECE » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:27 pm

Tolstoy wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:49 am
An honest question. Please explain your answer in detail.
Be careful how you interpret the answers to your question, Tolstoy. You could talk to thousands of people and each one might give you a reason for living that doesn't quite sound right to your lived experience. (If you asked me, I might even give you different answers depending on when you asked, since I haven't given the question too much thought.) You could use process of elimination to dismiss all of them, one by one. But don't forget that you are unique. Nobody is going to have the same reasons for living that you do, even the proud few who like you have stalked this same forum for over a decade.
See my full Profile:

Strauss

#11 Post by Strauss » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:40 am

@Octavius

I understand you. Just one example of great philosophers, Socrates was not paid a cent for his philosophy, on the contrary, he was handed the cup hemlock mug and accepted it for his convictions. Philosophers are not a wage-writing profession like today, they are clowns. Everyone is a philosopher in their own way. Let's orientate ourselves to the best.

Strauss

#12 Post by Strauss » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:43 am

@Octavious...

Ginge86

#13 Post by Ginge86 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:55 am

My children, without them, life would not be worth living

JECE

#14 Post by JECE » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:34 pm

Strauss wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:40 am
@Octavious

I understand you. Just one example of great philosophers, Socrates was not paid a cent for his philosophy, on the contrary, he was handed the cup hemlock mug and accepted it for his convictions. Philosophers are not a wage-writing profession like today, they are clowns. Everyone is a philosopher in their own way. Let's orientate ourselves to the best.
Octavious' criticism would have been stronger without a reference to remuneration.
See my full Profile:

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#15 Post by flash2015 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:59 pm

Strauss wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:06 am
A philosophical question. Philosophers usually reply that it is thought itself that makes life worth living. Wisdom, reflection, values ​​and their worth, morals and ethics come only through time, resonance and the leisure to take a step back from today's hectic zeitgeist. And then the adventure begins...
Which philosophers? That load of platitudes sounds like something off the back of a Hallmark card.

learnedSloth

#16 Post by learnedSloth » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:47 pm

I follow Jesus to everlasting life. I recollect that he promised to lead to it in the tenth chapter of John. I believe him, because his doctrine is sound and he rose from the dead three days after brutal execution by professional killers; he appeared to his disciples multiple times before ascending to heaven before them. Their accounts are in the New Testament. They had also found his tomb open and empty; the watch that was supposed to guard it had fled.

Now you would probably ask what makes the everlasting life worth living. It is described in the Book of Revelation. I quote from the 21st chapter:

AND I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
¶ Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
-- Proverbs of Solomon, chapter 4, verse 23

Octavious

#17 Post by Octavious » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:27 pm

I like a good tabernacle as much as the next man, don't get me wrong, but I confess that neither the tabernacle of the Lord, nor the awning of Allah, nor even Buddha's basha, add significantly more worth to life. The portaloo of Pan, now... People come for the tabernacle, but they give thanks to the portaloo

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#18 Post by MajorMitchell » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:34 pm

Thank you Octavious for an exquisitely dosed dash of amusing scepticism in response to learnedSloths sincere expression of confidence in his eternal life with God, JC & HG after his mortal life ends.
Apart from a few paragraphs from Revelations, an exciting & imaginitive part of the Old Testament learnedSloth omitted his synopsis of what makes his mortal.life worth living beyond worshipping the Christian God.

My mortal pilgrimage is full of Cosmic Madness and the single pursuit that now gives it purpose and meaning is my new career as an actor, on a stage doing standup comedy live with an audience eager to worship or crucify you is whete I am truly alive, on a film set.
Defeating protagonists in real life has always had it's rewards, and my run as a candidate for Councillor indulges my political passions and has it's rewards up the high end of Mazlov's chart
Satiating my desires including the intermittent desire to help others.

A film.is out on Youtube sesrch for Formosus, the Mystic and the Witch by Robert Drusetta.

@learned Sloth .. please look up.that film, it's based on the Cadaver Synod, a 9th century post mortem trial of Pope Formosus.
I remain unrepentant for my role strangling Pope Steven 6th in his prison cell in the portrayal of Pope Steven 6th's in his last moment in this mortal world & his ascent to Paradise.

PRINCE WILLIAM

#19 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:57 pm

I have to say it's not something I've ever given much thought to, maybe because I've always liked how I've shaped my life. I have always worked in a job that I wanted, I did not live in conditions that I did not want, except in a few cases, and these were mainly illnesses. Also, I must say that I am not particularly inclined towards philosophy and don't expect any philosophical analysis or great wisdom.
The answer is simple now that I think about it. What makes my life worth living and enjoying is these things that I look forward to after a long day, writing and reading, a good game of chess and some music.
Nothing will relax me more after a hard day than sitting down to write with some music and a cup of hot chocolate or juice in the summer. An evening is pleasant and ideal with a good chess game and a book.
Simple things that keep me happy and make my life worthwhile.

Jamiet99uk

#20 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:03 pm

learnedSloth wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:47 pm
I follow Jesus to everlasting life. I recollect that he promised to lead to it in the tenth chapter of John. I believe him, because his doctrine is sound and he rose from the dead three days after brutal execution by professional killers; he appeared to his disciples multiple times before ascending to heaven before them. Their accounts are in the New Testament. They had also found his tomb open and empty; the watch that was supposed to guard it had fled.

Now you would probably ask what makes the everlasting life worth living. It is described in the Book of Revelation. I quote from the 21st chapter:

AND I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
Bullshit, nonsense, hogswallop.

The concept of a loving, redeeming God is inconsistent with God's slaughter of babies and toddlers on a regular basis. Either God does not exist or he is evil based on his own capricious demands. Horrible.

Do what you want.
With love in your heart.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.