Twitter and Musk

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.

Musk buying Twitter for $43bn?

You may select 1 option

View results

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

Twitter and Musk

#1 Post by kestasjk » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:55 am

Interested in a data point from outside the Twitter bubble, what do you think?

TheFlyingBoat

Re: Twitter and Musk

#2 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:18 am

Good for Twitter shareholders because Twitter is dramatically overvalued as is, neutral for Twitter in terms of user experience (Twitter sucks and will continue to suck), bad for Musk in terms of material gains, could be good if he has other goals, but I'm not sure what goal he has that it advances.

Octavious

#3 Post by Octavious » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:44 am

Seems an odd question, as I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone cares whether or not something is good for Musk or Twitter. Musk is an eccentric billionaire who enjoys the media spotlight, so in that sense it's good for him as it keeps him there. Twitter is a hypocritical mess of censorship and free for all craziness, so it's hard to imagine how it can get worse... Musk is quite resourceful in that regard though...

Still, the only thing that really matters is whether or not it's good for the people in the countries in which it operates. The answer being who knows? I'd say it was akin to giving a broken machine a big kick in the desperate hope it is shaken back into life. Often it just breaks some more, but occasionally it actually works.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4 Post by goldfinger0303 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:48 am

TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:18 am
Good for Twitter shareholders because Twitter is dramatically overvalued as is,
Twitter's stock price was higher than Musk's offer like a year ago. The whole market was overvalued, so hard to say that this is "good" for those shareholders when some are coming out and saying his bid undervalues the company

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by bo_sox48 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:30 pm

I don't really understand the need to answer this question based purely on financials. bUt iT's a bUsiNeSs yeah I don't care. Twitter's platform is the only merit-based social media game left in town, and while they're doing their best to take that away as is it would be a shame to see wholesale changes to their platform. Musk would almost certainly push for changes (though the direction those changes would take Twitter was never really clear). The nature of the changes he would try to make would determine whether or not this is a good thing for Twitter, not whether or not their present day shareholders make a buck.

LeonWalras

#6 Post by LeonWalras » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:06 am

Musk either doesn't understand or deliberately misrepresents free speech. He's going to have a bad time. As is everyone on twitter, but that is true regardless of what happens.

Jamiet99uk

#7 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:54 am

"Elon Musk" is short for Elongated Muskrat.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Regular Person

#8 Post by Regular Person » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:21 pm

Hard to answer either way, as how does anyone know what you mean by "good" for Twitter and Musk.
Is "good for twitter" the shareholders making the most money, the most possible users, the least restrictive platform, the most protected platform, the most dedicated users, the best advertising revenue?
Is "good for Musk" the most profit to made with $44bn, the most increase in net worth in general, more control over his public image, hero status to some, being even more famous?

without what these values of "good" are, it is impossible to answer.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#9 Post by kestasjk » Tue May 03, 2022 4:50 pm

Regular Person wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:21 pm
Hard to answer either way, as how does anyone know what you mean by "good" for Twitter and Musk.
Is "good for twitter" the shareholders making the most money, the most possible users, the least restrictive platform, the most protected platform, the most dedicated users, the best advertising revenue?
Is "good for Musk" the most profit to made with $44bn, the most increase in net worth in general, more control over his public image, hero status to some, being even more famous?

without what these values of "good" are, it is impossible to answer.
I mean in the sense of do you think chocolate chip cookies are good or bad? Is Enron good or bad? It was very good for a minority of investors, but I think most people would say Enron is bad for the world.
Seems an odd question, as I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone cares whether or not something is good for Musk or Twitter. Musk is an eccentric billionaire who enjoys the media spotlight, so in that sense it's good for him as it keeps him there. Twitter is a hypocritical mess of censorship and free for all craziness, so it's hard to imagine how it can get worse... Musk is quite resourceful in that regard though...
I think Twitter is generally a good thing for the world; it can be a crazy toxic trollfest, but it's definitely cemented a niche in the social media space.
I also think Musk is generally a good thing for the world; he's stirring things up, disrupting and reinvigorating some stagnant industries and creating good products, and generally has been pretty apolitical which I think is best in business leaders.

So if Musk takes $44bn and uses it to make Twitter more friendly to Donald Trump (the only person afaik who has a reason to complain about Twitter and "free speech", after trying to use violence to stop the peaceful transfer of power), I would consider that a bad thing for Musk and Twitter.
Still, the only thing that really matters is whether or not it's good for the people in the countries in which it operates.
Agreed
The answer being who knows? I'd say it was akin to giving a broken machine a big kick in the desperate hope it is shaken back into life. Often it just breaks some more, but occasionally it actually works.
Hmm.. I think you overestimate how broken Twitter is at the moment. People might say Facebook is awful and broken etc, but it has a solid user base and good platform; it's a long way from MySpace.

Twitter is a long way from whatever its nearest competitor is, and unlike a lot of other social platforms like Reddit it's relatively free of group-think and has a diverse user-base.

Interesting to see a wide range of views though, in the thread and the poll. I thought most would say bad for Musk bad for Twitter but it looks like people have hope.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#10 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed May 04, 2022 1:14 pm

Greetings whippersnappers, it is enjoyable & imforming reading your posts, particularly those from kestas.
I care little about the financial outcomes for Twiiter, it's shareholders or Elon Muskrat(?)

I ventured into Farcebook as a casual, infrequent user many years ago, yet when my career changed from casual security work & other capers to "will be a standup comedian" as a result of my being a 1st responder in April 2020.

This led me to create new Farcebook pages for my fictional standup comedy characters Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher and Mini~Xu Artistic Freedom Activist, many entertainers have Farcebook pages for promotional use, so I did likewise.

It's a low cost promotional platform and enables networking, I found open mic venues, opportunities in Adelaide & this week Sydney as preparation for an imminent roadtrip from my shack in Ramindjeri country to Sydney to play golf, do open mics, get a Sydney City Council 3 month low impact class Buskers permit for $Aus 15 which enables me to lawfully busk at Circular Quay and near adjacent Sydney Opera House, or in parks, in the "Red Light" Kings Cross etc.

So Farcebook with it's imperfections has been, continues to be for me a low cost extremely useful tool.

I had those extra Farcebook pages going for a year then briefly tried Twitter.

I agree with the observation that Twitter is a kaliedoscopic mix of trolls, the reasonable participants and i am.unsure why, but an avalanche of advertising by young ladies offering erotic therapuetic services at exorbitant costs and links to sites that want a credit card to charge immediately.

I will express the opinion, will not describe Twitter as a virtual defacto pimp, that is harsh and dificult to establish as fact & in a litigious world a chap has to be cautious in what he posts, it would not do to use this Bwave New Forum with More Decorum to land Omnipotent Xultar in the Law Courts in a defamation or libel action like Johnny Depp & former partner ?

The outcome of my Twitter experience was to abandon using it, then I tried Plurk but hardly use it, can't figure it out.

Thanks Kestas for a new interwebby social platform to investigate .. My Space

Only 5 more days until my self requested ban on me joining games ends,I am undecided, contemplating going for the record of the longest self requested ban by asking for another 6 months ban.
I have to concentrate on real world problems and ambitions ahead of diplomacy, tried but failed to get a f2f game up at Easter.
MySpace, will investigate.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#11 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed May 04, 2022 1:17 pm

Tyoo,
I will not express the opinion will not describr Twitter as a virtual defacto pimp.
Gosh, hope I havrn't got us in a defamation action, i will.be banned for eternity and longer if i have...