does anyone know good (power) metal bands?

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Message
Author
Jamiet99uk
Posts: 16557
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 7451
Contact:

Re: does anyone know good (power) metal bands?

#21 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:03 pm

tobieee911 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:05 am

I'm sorry Jamie :cry:

Btw don't you think this is the best power metal song there is? https://youtu.be/0jgrCKhxE1s
No, I'm afraid I don't.

Dragonforce are shit.

draco2111
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:25 am
Karma: 3

Re: does anyone know good (power) metal bands?

#22 Post by draco2111 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:49 am

@ faircell21
This is still a question of taste. I find Doom extremely boring. Black is just shrieking.
MeloDeath is good too. But pure death? There's no melody.

And tobieee911 asked about power metal. So why do you come up with that?
1

draco2111
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:25 am
Karma: 3

Re: does anyone know good (power) metal bands?

#23 Post by draco2111 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:51 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:03 pm
tobieee911 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:05 am

I'm sorry Jamie :cry:

Btw don't you think this is the best power metal song there is? https://youtu.be/0jgrCKhxE1s
No, I'm afraid I don't.

Dragonforce are shit.
Okay, I see. No decency here in the forum. :eyeroll:
Trolls everywhere.

Jamiet99uk
Posts: 16557
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 7451
Contact:

Re: does anyone know good (power) metal bands?

#24 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:25 pm

draco2111 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:51 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:03 pm
tobieee911 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:05 am

I'm sorry Jamie :cry:

Btw don't you think this is the best power metal song there is? https://youtu.be/0jgrCKhxE1s
No, I'm afraid I don't.

Dragonforce are shit.
Okay, I see. No decency here in the forum. :eyeroll:
Trolls everywhere.
I'm not trolling.

I am a huge music fan with a large record and CD collection. I play the bass in a local metal band where I live (we will record our first EP as soon as the Covid lockdown ends). I was the editor of a regional rock and metal music zine for about 30 issues. I have been to hundreds of metal gigs.

I genuinely think that Dragonforce are shit. They demonstrate a high level of technical competency, sure. But their composition, their songwriting, their arrangements, are utter shit, displaying little or no creative vision or flair. The songs are interchangeable, forgettable shit when you look beyond the 4,000,000,000 beats per minute wankery. Their entire formula is "ZOMG FAST GUITAR PLAYING WOWW" and that's it. They've got nothing.

Absolute rubbish.

I am not trolling.

Octavious
Posts: 2400
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:16 pm
Location: The Five Valleys, Gloucestershire
Karma: 1918
Contact:

Re: does anyone know good (power) metal bands?

#25 Post by Octavious » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:45 pm

You know, somehow I always imagined you as a bass player...

Jamiet99uk
Posts: 16557
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 7451
Contact:

Re: does anyone know good (power) metal bands?

#26 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:51 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:45 pm
You know, somehow I always imagined you as a bass player...
Well there you go.

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:54 am
Location: Connecticut
Karma: 252

Re: does anyone know good (power) metal bands?

#27 Post by New England Fire Squad » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:47 pm

draco2111 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:49 am
@ faircell21
This is still a question of taste. I find Doom extremely boring. Black is just shrieking.
MeloDeath is good too. But pure death? There's no melody.

And tobieee911 asked about power metal. So why do you come up with that?
If we're going into different directions, industrial, thrash, and that weird elven shit are best metal imo

Jamiet99uk
Posts: 16557
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 7451
Contact:

Re: does anyone know good (power) metal bands?

#28 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:55 pm

Thrash metal I have a great deal of time for. Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Kreator, Death Angel, and Annihilator are all bands I love.

(On the specific subject of Annihilator, Jeff Waters, the main dude from Annihilator, now lives in County Durham not far from me. He's a very nice guy and has built an amazing home studio. The drummer / vocalist from the doom metal band I'm currently in provided guest vocals on the new Annihilator album which was recorded there).

faircell21
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:29 am
Karma: 6

Re: does anyone know good (power) metal bands?

#29 Post by faircell21 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:10 pm

draco2111 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:49 am
@ faircell21
This is still a question of taste. I find Doom extremely boring. Black is just shrieking.
MeloDeath is good too. But pure death? There's no melody.

And tobieee911 asked about power metal. So why do you come up with that?
I suppose you’re right about it being a matter of taste. However, I find power metal to be quite forgettable as a whole. As far as melodic death metal, I’ve listened to dark tranquility, in flames, b’elakor, insomnium, and omnium gatherum, and I find the whole thing to be rather lame. As a metal listener, I am looking for brutality and volume, and I do not wish those to be compromised for the sake of melody (though there are certainly bands that can inject melody into a heavy, brutal atmosphere). I obviously respect what other people want to get out of metal, I just think that there are other genres that as a whole do a better job of that.

faircell21
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:29 am
Karma: 6

Re: does anyone know good (power) metal bands?

#30 Post by faircell21 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:22 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:55 pm
Thrash metal I have a great deal of time for. Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Kreator, Death Angel, and Annihilator are all bands I love.

(On the specific subject of Annihilator, Jeff Waters, the main dude from Annihilator, now lives in County Durham not far from me. He's a very nice guy and has built an amazing home studio. The drummer / vocalist from the doom metal band I'm currently in provided guest vocals on the new Annihilator album which was recorded there).
All great bands. Going down that route, I also like crossover thrash bands like Suicidal Tendencies, Agnostic Front, and Municipal Waste.

Unrelated to thrash metal, but what do you think of Swans?

Jamiet99uk
Posts: 16557
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 7451
Contact:

Re: does anyone know good (power) metal bands?

#31 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:59 pm

faircell21 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:22 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:55 pm
Thrash metal I have a great deal of time for. Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Kreator, Death Angel, and Annihilator are all bands I love.

(On the specific subject of Annihilator, Jeff Waters, the main dude from Annihilator, now lives in County Durham not far from me. He's a very nice guy and has built an amazing home studio. The drummer / vocalist from the doom metal band I'm currently in provided guest vocals on the new Annihilator album which was recorded there).
All great bands. Going down that route, I also like crossover thrash bands like Suicidal Tendencies, Agnostic Front, and Municipal Waste.

Unrelated to thrash metal, but what do you think of Swans?
I like all three of those bands. Municipal Waste is gonna fuck you up!

Swans? Michael Gira's band? Interesting. They have made music I like, but they've also made music I wasn't interested in at all.

faircell21
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:29 am
Karma: 6

Re: does anyone know good (power) metal bands?

#32 Post by faircell21 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:33 am

One can argue that that’s already happened haha.

What Swans have you heard? They’ve encompassed so many styles.

BehindtheMule
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:02 pm

Re: does anyone know good (power) metal bands?

#33 Post by BehindtheMule » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:43 pm

Forget Power metal, go for the New Wave of British Heavy Metal goodness that is the mighty Angelwitch! There first (eponymous) album.

Puscherbilbo
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:11 pm
Karma: 7

Re: does anyone know good (power) metal bands?

#34 Post by Puscherbilbo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:02 pm

Blind Guardian missing?

Salmaneser
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:46 pm
Karma: 2

Re: does anyone know good (power) metal bands?

#35 Post by Salmaneser » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:48 pm

Try these:

In Flames
Amon Amarth
Disturbed
Rammstein
SOAD
Lacuna Coil
Trivium
Alestorm (pirrrrate metal)
Amenra
...

faircell21
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:29 am
Karma: 6

Re: does anyone know good (power) metal bands?

#36 Post by faircell21 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:32 pm

Since when are Trivium and Disturbed good?

Toxicity is a great album, though.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests