If you could commit one crime and it would forever thereafter cease to exist..

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Octavious

Re: If you could commit one crime and it would forever thereafter cease to exist..

#21 Post by Octavious » Sun May 26, 2024 9:23 pm

I wouldn't have thought so. I could be wrong, but I don't think seagulls are protected under Chinese law. I'm not anticipating the development of the anti-seagull weapon will violate any local laws. No, it's only when the proverbial trigger is pulled in Blighty that the crime is committed.

You could perhaps argue that smuggling the weapon into the UK breaks a different law first, but I don't think that other lawlessness prevents you from breaking the intended law. Otherwise I've already screwed up by loitering earlier today
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Jamiet99uk

Re: If you could commit one crime and it would forever thereafter cease to exist..

#22 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun May 26, 2024 10:40 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 9:23 pm
Otherwise I've already screwed up by loitering earlier today
I do not believe that loitering is a specific offence in the UK at the present time - the relevant parts of the Vagrancy Act 1824, which prohibited loitering about, were repealed by the Criminal Attempts Act 1981.
This is my potato. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My potato is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my potato is useless. Without my potato, I am useless.

Octavious

#23 Post by Octavious » Mon May 27, 2024 1:22 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 10:40 pm
Octavious wrote:
I do not believe that loitering is a specific offence in the UK at the present time - the relevant parts of the Vagrancy Act 1824, which prohibited loitering about, were repealed by the Criminal Attempts Act 1981.
So what you're telling me is that this morning I loitered, and this crime has apparently been erased from ever happening again?

I confess I've given brainbomb a fair bit of stick over the years but credit where credit's due he can be bloody effective at times

kingofthepirates
Location: Dragon Temple, Crumbling Farum Azula, The Lands Between

#24 Post by kingofthepirates » Mon May 27, 2024 1:39 am

bb has to power to retroactively change laws?! this... this is a power that must be used responsibly...
“In the darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of madness, look to the madman to show the way.”- Roboute Guilliman

"Wonderhoy!"-Emu Otori :3

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#25 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon May 27, 2024 7:46 am

I would like to be elected Pope in a rigged election.

Jamiet99uk

#26 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon May 27, 2024 9:31 am

Octavious wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 1:22 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Octavious wrote:
So what you're telling me is that this morning I loitered, and this crime has apparently been erased from ever happening again?

I confess I've given brainbomb a fair bit of stick over the years but credit where credit's due he can be bloody effective at times
No I am telling you that what you did this morning has not been a crime since 1981. You did not commit an offence.
This is my potato. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My potato is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my potato is useless. Without my potato, I am useless.

Jamiet99uk

#27 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon May 27, 2024 9:32 am

MajorMitchell wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 7:46 am
....thus ensuring that all future Papal elections are free from corruption?

Octavious

#28 Post by Octavious » Mon May 27, 2024 12:24 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 9:31 am
Octavious wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 1:22 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:

No I am telling you that what you did this morning has not been a crime since 1981. You did not commit an offence.
Well obviously getting the law changed at the start of an election cycle isn't possible. A bit of manipulation of the time line, however, is well within brainbomb's capabilities.

Jamiet99uk

#29 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon May 27, 2024 12:25 pm

Nothing lies outside of Brainbomb's capabilities.

Crazy Anglican

#30 Post by Crazy Anglican » Mon May 27, 2024 12:40 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 9:32 am
MajorMitchell wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 7:46 am
....thus ensuring that all future Papal elections are free from corruption?
See MM's got the idea, a little political corruption to erase all future corruption.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#31 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon May 27, 2024 2:31 pm

You could have a crack at a leadership spot in the Church of England in a corrupt appointment Crazy Anglican for the same reason?

Dipbro Brainbomb for President of the United States?

Now who do we have take over in China, Iran, North Korea, Israel, Saudi Arabia etc etc?

Jamiet99uk

#32 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon May 27, 2024 4:07 pm

MajorMitchell wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 2:31 pm
You could have a crack at a leadership spot in the Church of England in a corrupt appointment Crazy Anglican for the same reason?
Are you suggesting that the selection of Archbishop of Canterbury is a process frequently plagued by corruption?

Crazy Anglican

#33 Post by Crazy Anglican » Mon May 27, 2024 8:52 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 4:07 pm
MajorMitchell wrote:
Are you suggesting that the selection of Archbishop of Canterbury is a process frequently plagued by corruption?
I can't say that's ever been a worry of mine. Maybe the UK dibbro's could shed light on whether that position holds much power, so as to garner any serious problems with corruption.

Octavious

#34 Post by Octavious » Mon May 27, 2024 9:24 pm

Crazy Anglican wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 8:52 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 4:07 pm
MajorMitchell wrote:
I can't say that's ever been a worry of mine. Maybe the UK dibbro's could shed light on whether that position holds much power, so as to garner any serious problems with corruption.
I suppose it depends on what you mean by corruption. In the traditional sense of cash in brown envelopes and unofficial meetings in smoke filled back rooms, almost certainly not. But if you were to extend the definition to trying to lead a Church despite not believing a word of it... well, I'd have a lot less confidence that the bishops hands are clean in that regard.

DarthPorg36

#35 Post by DarthPorg36 » Mon May 27, 2024 11:20 pm

I suppose one might commit ecocide, thereby preventing climate change or other forms of mass environmental destruction from occurring again.

kingofthepirates

#36 Post by kingofthepirates » Mon May 27, 2024 11:38 pm

honestly for me, probably a breach of some environment protection/conservation law. Again raises the question of if the act itself totally disappears, or only illegal instances of the act. for example, if I illegally hunt some species, does ALL hunting cease to exist, or only illegal hunting? if the former, honestly that would be pretty nice, since it could eliminate a major cause of extinction. if the latter, would all illegal hunting disappear through not being committed, or does it disappear legally speaking but still exist through legal loopholes or smth?

Another thing I just thought of: some type of scam. getting rid of all scamming (or even just one of the common types of scams) would be pretty great ngl.

False advertising maybe? then that could apply to so much, not just potentially something like false campaign promises and other types of misinformation promoting products/people...

OOO but what about perjury??? now lying in court is impossible? that would be amazing! so much could get solved by that...
“In the darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of madness, look to the madman to show the way.”- Roboute Guilliman

Octavious

#37 Post by Octavious » Tue May 28, 2024 9:44 am

kingofthepirates wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 11:38 pm
OOO but what about perjury??? now lying in court is impossible? that would be amazing! so much could get solved by that...
Genius! Put them in the stand, ask if they did it, job done. And all the lawyers would be out of a job! Beautiful!

kingofthepirates

#38 Post by kingofthepirates » Tue May 28, 2024 1:03 pm

Octavious wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 9:44 am
Genius! Put them in the stand, ask if they did it, job done.
there are still issues in the US with the 5th amendment regarding self incrimination, but something along the lines of this, yes. now all evidence/testimony is sure to be truthful. Another thing that I considered was jury tampering, but that feels less common than perjury...

CaptainFritz28

#39 Post by CaptainFritz28 » Wed May 29, 2024 9:12 pm

kingofthepirates wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 1:03 pm
Octavious wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 9:44 am
Genius! Put them in the stand, ask if they did it, job done.
there are still issues in the US with the 5th amendment regarding self incrimination, but something along the lines of this, yes. now all evidence/testimony is sure to be truthful. Another thing that I considered was jury tampering, but that feels less common than perjury...
Would it not become more common should perjury be erased?
Ferre ad Finem!

Octavious

#40 Post by Octavious » Wed May 29, 2024 9:35 pm

If you had a guaranteed way of establishing guilt or innocence that could only be prevented by the 5th amendment I don't see the 5th amendment lasting. Why it exists at all has always been something of a mystery to me