Death Star vs 4 Borg Cubes

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
brainbomb

Death Star vs 4 Borg Cubes

#1 Post by brainbomb » Fri May 03, 2024 12:40 am

Who wins

DarthPorg36

Re: Death Star vs 4 Borg Cubes

#3 Post by DarthPorg36 » Fri May 03, 2024 1:38 am

Depends if this is first death star or second death star

brainbomb

#4 Post by brainbomb » Fri May 03, 2024 1:43 am

The second death star was a complete peice of shit

brainbomb

#5 Post by brainbomb » Fri May 03, 2024 1:45 am

The empire got overthrown by a planet full of teddy rukspin koala bears. The borg wouldve wiped the floor with the empire

Esquire Bertissimmo

#6 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Fri May 03, 2024 2:13 am

It's hard to know the true capabilities of the Borg or Empire because both these badies were only destroyed by the "God's on my side" narrative advantage conferred on the self sacrificing good guys. With no Data to shut down the Borg and no Luke, Han, and friends to risk life and limb for the Rebellion, the overwhelming advantage would have gone to the Borg/Empire.

Bad guys can't seem to rely on these one-in-a-million odds in either universe so they'll just have to battle it out.

I think the Borg's general advantage is their adaptability, but it's hard to learn and adapt against an adversary that should be able to totally destroy a cube in a single shot. However, the Borg could presumably try a less direct approach and instead aim to assimilate some of the Death Star's crew and disrupt it's defenses from the inside. It's not clear how vulnerable the Death Star is to this type of covert attack — Han and Luke got on with a simple ruse while the Death Star was under construction, but security must have functioned better once the Death Star was fully built if the Rebel's plan A was an almost impossible external assault.

I think overall I'd give advantage to the Death Star. I have the intuition it's bigger and better resourced than four Borg cubes, it seems to be better defended against an external attack than a Borg cube, it has weapons that should be able to obliterate a cube at a time, and I feel the leadership of the Emperor and Vader may be more thoughtful than the learn-as-they-go approach of the Borg.

Wattsthematter

#7 Post by Wattsthematter » Fri May 03, 2024 2:42 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/182e7u5/who_would_win_the_death_star_or_a_single_borg_cube/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x&utm_name=mweb3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Reddit seems to favor multiple Borg Cubes

BrianBaru

#8 Post by BrianBaru » Fri May 03, 2024 3:51 am

Hitting a planet is a lot easier than hitting a ship that can maneuver at warp speed. It takes several seconds to power up the Death Star main weapon. They would never hit the cube.
Cube wins.

Octavious

#9 Post by Octavious » Fri May 03, 2024 6:22 am

The first death star had no ship targeting ability, and took an age to power up its planet killing weapon anyway. The Borg cube is significantly smaller and has weapons designed for fighting starships rather than a space station the size of a moon.

A battle between them would resemble a fight between a Spanish Galleon and a a modern oil tanker whose only weapon is the ability to ram. After the first amusing hour the following weeks would get pretty damned tedious.

Or Vader's on board and uses a jedi mind trick to move a dilithium crystal out of alignment and the ship explodes in 5 minutes.

Why this sort of thing never happened in Star Wars I have no idea. I feel that things would have gone a lot better for the Jedi if they had some education in basic engineering principles
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

learnedSloth

#10 Post by learnedSloth » Fri May 03, 2024 11:53 am

Octavious wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 6:22 am
A battle between them would resemble a fight between a Spanish Galleon and a a modern oil tanker whose only weapon is the ability to ram. After the first amusing hour the following weeks would get pretty damned tedious.
Oil tankers can't take much punishment, so the galleon would likely win in spite of depending on wind power, assuming that they have artillery.
¶ Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
-- Proverbs of Solomon, chapter 4, verse 23

brainbomb

#11 Post by brainbomb » Fri May 03, 2024 12:40 pm

After 1 borg cube gets wiped by the main weapon, I would assume that the borg would eventually adjust to that main weapon and it would eventually do nothing to their ships. I could see them losing 1 maybe 2 cubes but all it takes is some borg to teleport onto the station and that place is a goner.

BrianBaru

#12 Post by BrianBaru » Fri May 03, 2024 2:12 pm

The other thing is that the Borg would not even have to fire a shot. They could just transport explosive devices and 'boom'. If one shot from a fighter could trigger the reactor and destroy the death star, they wouldn't need much.

No contest.

brainbomb

#13 Post by brainbomb » Fri May 03, 2024 2:16 pm

if R2D2 can anal probe any console in that thing, surely the borg can easily assimilate that peice of shit

Octavious

#14 Post by Octavious » Fri May 03, 2024 2:36 pm

learnedSloth wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 11:53 am
Octavious wrote:
Oil tankers can't take much punishment, so the galleon would likely win in spite of depending on wind power, assuming that they have artillery.
15mm high strength steal, double hulls vs 1500s cannon technology? The galleon could do little more than dent it. They had enough trouble with wooden targets. You raise a good point about the wind, though. If the oil tanker wanted to escape it could just outrun it
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#15 Post by dargorygel » Fri May 03, 2024 3:02 pm

It's not that difficult a question. In the Star Trek Universe, the Borg would lose at first, and then become victorious... until Earthlings gather and wipe it out. In the Star Wars Universe, the Death Star would lose at first... but the Force would find a way to overcome Assimilation, and the Rebel forces would wipe everyone out. Or something like that.

brainbomb

#16 Post by brainbomb » Fri May 03, 2024 3:27 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 3:02 pm
It's not that difficult a question. In the Star Trek Universe, the Borg would lose at first, and then become victorious... until Earthlings gather and wipe it out. In the Star Wars Universe, the Death Star would lose at first... but the Force would find a way to overcome Assimilation, and the Rebel forces would wipe everyone out. Or something like that.
Im not sure this is correct. The borg could in theory Assimilate Vader since he is so machine oriented anyway, and thus also gain the force

DrFidelis

#17 Post by DrFidelis » Fri May 03, 2024 3:54 pm

I read a Tumblr post about some star wars forum moderator making a poll on this very question (though it was only one Borg cube) and they said the death star would win, so they asked a star trek forum to do the same poll and they said the Borg cube would win, and then they asked a star gate forum to run the poll and they returned that the death star would win, but only once, and the Borgs would just adapt to never get destroyed by the death star again.
"I cannot think, I cannot fight. With patience, I will find my way."

(hmu if you ever need to find a willing person to be the next 20 questions QM)

Wattsthematter

#18 Post by Wattsthematter » Fri May 03, 2024 5:34 pm

I think the consensus is that 1 Borg Cube wouldn't stand a chance, but multiple would 100% win

BrianBaru

#19 Post by BrianBaru » Sun May 05, 2024 1:57 am

May the 4th be with you!

But the slow moving Death star would never get a shot off.

learnedSloth

#20 Post by learnedSloth » Mon May 06, 2024 6:11 am

Octavious wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 2:36 pm
learnedSloth wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 11:53 am
Octavious wrote:
15mm high strength steal, double hulls vs 1500s cannon technology? The galleon could do little more than dent it. They had enough trouble with wooden targets. You raise a good point about the wind, though. If the oil tanker wanted to escape it could just outrun it
Except it's a fight, so escaping would be considered defeat. Moreover the modern pirates operate with even less armament:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy#Contemporary_piracy
¶ Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
-- Proverbs of Solomon, chapter 4, verse 23