Open Position Heros

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Esquire Bertissimmo

Open Position Heros

#1 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:18 pm

Now that the open position counters have been corrected, I have happened upon some truly heroic players who have filled an astounding number of civil disorders. Most of the time, providing this service has come at a cost to their rank.

I want to shout out a few players who I've happened to notice have MASSIVE "Civil disorders taken over" counts.

Redesdale - 621 civil disorders taken over, about 8/month since they joined the site

echidna - 192 civil disorders taken over, about 16/month since they joined the site

BrianBaru - 104 civil disorders taken over, about 10/month since they joined the site

I'm sure there are many other CD take-over heros out there - if you see them, consider recognizing their contributions here.

CD take-over folks, players who mentor newbies/answer rules questions, and maybe especially those making financial contributions to WebDip - thank you!

Jamiet99uk

Re: Open Position Heros

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:55 pm

No wonder I keep seeing those names appear in games.

Nice work, guys.
This is my potato. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My potato is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my potato is useless. Without my potato, I am useless.

BrianBaru

#3 Post by BrianBaru » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:36 pm

Yes, the scoring on takeovers here really hurts rankings, but I play for fun and don't care about rank. I hate seeing games go bad, so I step in. I've played many games with those other two guys.

CaptainFritz28

#4 Post by CaptainFritz28 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:21 pm

Hear hear! Thank you for sacrificing your score for the sake of others!
Ferre ad Finem!

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#5 Post by kestasjk » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:44 am

BrianBaru wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:36 pm
Yes, the scoring on takeovers here really hurts rankings, but I play for fun and don't care about rank. I hate seeing games go bad, so I step in. I've played many games with those other two guys.
Appreciate it, and I'm hoping we'll be able to correct that before long (hopefully retroactively)

echidna

#6 Post by echidna » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:46 pm

I too commend BrianBaru, who I have seen enter near-hopeless positions.

Note that because one's rating changes at the end of a game based on the outcome and the ratings of the other players, having a "ranking-hurt" player among one's opponents has a slightly distorting influence on how much your own rating will change.
How this might be addressed retrospectively - now that's a challenge!