Sending game links

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
musmuris

Sending game links

#1 Post by musmuris » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:27 pm

More questions about the site rather than feedback but couldn't see a better place to ask, apologies if there is and I missed it.

We'd like to play a game of diplomacy with friends over a few (or many) weeks - but rather than get the board out each week etc. and manually resolve orders I went looking for online methods and found here. I believe this is ok with the rules as everyone knows everybody and will communicate outside the site?

If I start a game with a pass-code how can I send a link out so people can join - is it just a link to the main game page?
Is there then a way to push turns early (we may do the first few quickly, or do one over a week then get together for a quicker turn one evening) - or do they just roll when everyone marks "ready"?

DougJoe

Re: Sending game links

#2 Post by DougJoe » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:10 pm

musmuris wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:27 pm
More questions about the site rather than feedback but couldn't see a better place to ask, apologies if there is and I missed it.

We'd like to play a game of diplomacy with friends over a few (or many) weeks - but rather than get the board out each week etc. and manually resolve orders I went looking for online methods and found here. I believe this is ok with the rules as everyone knows everybody and will communicate outside the site?
Yes, this is fine.
musmuris wrote:
If I start a game with a pass-code how can I send a link out so people can join - is it just a link to the main game page?
Yes, I believe that should work.
musmuris wrote:
Is there then a way to push turns early (we may do the first few quickly, or do one over a week then get together for a quicker turn one evening) - or do they just roll when everyone marks "ready"?
Yes, orders will process when everyone marks "Ready" regardless of how much time is left in the phase. Make sure you configure the phase length for the longest amount of time you think a turn will take.

Pander Beers

Re: Sending game links

#3 Post by Pander Beers » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:33 pm

musmuris wrote:
If you're playing a Classic game with the new Point-and-Click UI, it's buggy getting people to join with the URL (game link). Everyone needs to be in the Dropdown (old school) style UI in order for copy-pasting game URLs to work. That's kind of tedious.

The best way to do it is to give them your Profile address, and tell them to scroll down and find your game lobby, which will be listed at the bottom of your profile. If you're doing Anonymous countries/players, then you won't see the game in your profile. They will have to go to the Games menu at the top horizontal menu, go to New Games, and then search for your game in that list (usually 2 pages long).
musmuris wrote:
Like the other reply said, set your turn length to as long as you think you need, but I've found 12 hours per turn to be the sweet spot. We set turn miss allowances to 1 excused missed turn. 90% of my friends have been good about putting moves in, as we made a Discord chat and just tag @everyone when the next phase happens. However, I've played with some friends-of-friends who joined the game and just didn't care, so they idled out. With 12-hour turns and 1 allowed missed turn, it was only 24 hours for them to get kicked out of the game.

--- Note: I have a group of about 6-8 friends who are all playing right now, too. We just started playing 2 weeks ago. If you and your friends are interested in doing one of those 15 or 17-player maps and going friends group vs. friends group, I think that'd be kind of crazy and fun. Add me on Discord if you're interested. My username is "panders" and my User ID is 63061509852364800