Why do site rules protect cheaters and punish the honest

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
kestasjk
Developer
Developer

Re: Why do site rules protect cheaters and punish the honest

#21 Post by kestasjk » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:40 am

qrzy wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:18 pm
A have already two false accusations.
Don't worry; false accusations will be found to be false, and false accusations will decrease your suspiciousness as you've already been investigated to an extent. The person putting in false accusations will have those false accusations marked against them so that future accusations from them will have less of a weighting.

It's still a work in progress re: integrating it all, but the data being collected now will is being used to build it up, so even if we don't get to a suspicion in time the data is valuable.
The nicest thing for me is that unlike the previous inbox based system there won't be any lengthy history lookup involved, it's all in the system and can be merged with other cheater detection methods, can be built into the game options, and also allows people who are friends outside the site to play legitimately without being flagged as cheaters.

There was plenty of skepticism and there's still a way to go to make use of the data being collected, but I'm more confident that ever that the judging and matching optimiser will make multi/meta/relationship/suspicion management a lot quicker and fairer.

Ginge86

#22 Post by Ginge86 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:41 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:40 am
qrzy wrote:
Don't worry; false accusations will be found to be false, and false accusations will decrease your suspiciousness as you've already been investigated to an extent. The person putting in false accusations will have those false accusations marked against them so that future accusations from them will have less of a weighting.

It's still a work in progress re: integrating it all, but the data being collected now will is being used to build it up, so even if we don't get to a suspicion in time the data is valuable.
The nicest thing for me is that unlike the previous inbox based system there won't be any lengthy history lookup involved, it's all in the system and can be merged with other cheater detection methods, can be built into the game options, and also allows people who are friends outside the site to play legitimately without being flagged as cheaters.

There was plenty of skepticism and there's still a way to go to make use of the data being collected, but I'm more confident that ever that the judging and matching optimiser will make multi/meta/relationship/suspicion management a lot quicker and fairer.
I think the system of deprioritising people that make false accusations is a good one. There should be some form of punishment for fake submittals.

One suggestion I would have, to try and alleviate this problem, would be for the mods to provide updates on any accusations made. The reason for this, is so that anyone who does make an allegation, which the mods deem to be false, can have the reasons explained to them, so that they do not again make that mistake in future. Thus educating the player and also reducing future work for the mods.

Using me as an example, one of my complaints was against someone who admitted to being invited to the game by another player. This in my opinion goes completely against site rules, however, I have no idea how this was treated by the mods and whether or not I was correct to submit the suspicion. If it turns out I was correct, then knowing this would make me more confident reporting in the future and if I was not correct, knowing this would stop me reporting in future.

The only reason my tiny brain can think of not to provide an update, would be to protect those people the complaint was against. I would suggest however that doing so would be beneficial to both parties, as there are only 2 possible outcomes.

1 - The allegation is found false - in which case the original person would be able to apologise to the people they reported and the reported would be vindicated. If I was accused, I would prefer this outcome, to the person who complained always believing I am a cheat.

2 - The player did cheat - In which case, they have no right for this to be kept a secret and the person whom complained should be told, so that they know they did a good job and to keep up the good work.

There is a good chance I am missing something here, so if there is a good reason we do not provide updates, I would be delighted if you would share it with us. Otherwise, perhaps my idea would help. There is a first time for everything lol

CaliforniaDreamer

#23 Post by CaliforniaDreamer » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:48 pm

I recently had a false accusation against me (different game, different players, different variant) and it was absurd. In a no-press anonymous game, I didn't attack one of my neighbors (what a shock!!), and we developed a good working relationship fighting with others and keeping the border between us peaceful. I thought that was good Diplomacy.

PRINCE WILLIAM

#24 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:42 pm

That was good diplomacy.
Ginge is used to do bad diplomacy, both in words and in actions. His sweet tongue brought him the first animosity in the game he complained about and then his actions. False accusations work just fine for him since they result in players dropping out of the game.

BrianBaru

#25 Post by BrianBaru » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:50 pm

I do hope the site builds the "ban player" function. Ginge86 will be the first on my list. A totally obnoxious player

Ginge86

#26 Post by Ginge86 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:29 pm

BrianBaru wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:50 pm
I do hope the site builds the "ban player" function. Ginge86 will be the first on my list. A totally obnoxious player
Some very bitter people on this site isn't there lmao

qrzy

#27 Post by qrzy » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:31 pm

Fun fact:

the first one was created by yourself. :D
kestasjk wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:40 am
qrzy wrote: