Advertising bots

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
Jamiet99uk

Advertising bots

#1 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:08 am

The forum has recently been flooded with advertising bots posting links to various websites, mostly related to online gaming or betting.

Is there more we can do to block these accounts?
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

Octavious

Re: Advertising bots

#2 Post by Octavious » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:30 pm

If we go to the betting sites and, using our superior Diplomacy honed nous, clean them out, then they will stop asking us to go there.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

captainmeme

#3 Post by captainmeme » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:35 pm

Just got done with wielding the banhammer, they should all be gone now. Please DM me if I missed any.

I'm unfortunately the only person who deals with these and I'm not *technically* a full forum mod so I can't see the report page. I just look around for them when the waves come in.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4 Post by dargorygel » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:47 pm

captainmeme wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:35 pm
Just got done with wielding the banhammer, they should all be gone now. Please DM me if I missed any.

I'm unfortunately the only person who deals with these and I'm not *technically* a full forum mod so I can't see the report page. I just look around for them when the waves come in.
Chopped liver here.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#5 Post by kestasjk » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:02 am

captainmeme wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:35 pm

Your profile says you're a forum mod :| I checked darg and you and it looks the same, do you know what permissions youre missing?

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#6 Post by kestasjk » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:05 am

Btw we've just replaced the captcha with ReCaptcha, so we now get a bot score from google when people sign up. At the moment it lets anyone who did a valid token auth through, but we'll see how that goes and possibly change the threshold. It's a tricky balance between not wanting to block any potential new users and not wanting to let bots in, hopefully this new function will help improve things.

At the same time I've seen worse forum spam, but maybe CM is just really on top of it and I'm not seeing it

Jamiet99uk

#7 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:03 pm

The new style of advertising bot is weird. It "replies" to forum topics in an AI-powered way which tries to pretend to be a real user commenting, and then slips in a hyperlink to whatever it's trying to promote.

captainmeme

#8 Post by captainmeme » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:43 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:02 am
Your profile says you're a forum mod :| I checked darg and you and it looks the same, do you know what permissions youre missing?
I'm not sure - I know I was only made a forum mod for specific subforums (might just be Tournaments). It seems like you may have fixed it because I can see the full mod control panel now, although I don't seem to have a link to it anywhere so I have to go in through a report.
kestasjk wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:05 am
At the same time I've seen worse forum spam, but maybe CM is just really on top of it and I'm not seeing it
You can see them in the mod logs; had 20+ yesterday all from different accounts. I've definitely seen worse but these are tougher to catch because (as Jamiet says) they post AI-generated stuff that vaguely lines up with the topic and hide an invisible link in it. I don't think the intention is even to get people to click the link - it's often completely unclickable - I think the intention is to get the name of whatever site they're advertising out on as many websites as possible so that it goes up in google search results.

Jamiet99uk

#9 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:10 pm

Here's a more traditional example that just appeared:

viewtopic.php?f=2&p=350939#p350939