Can we still send links to games?

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
RyanHatesMilk

Can we still send links to games?

#1 Post by RyanHatesMilk » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:33 pm

Hi, trying to organise a private game with friends after a short break and noticed the site has changed slightly. Is it no longer possible to send a direct link to the game to friends? I'm trying to get them to manually search for it, but it's proving more time consuming than I was expecting...

Games used to have a sort of landing page where people could join, but now it seems it jumps straight into the lobby with others unable to join.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

sweetandcool

Re: Can we still send links to games?

#2 Post by sweetandcool » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:41 pm

When they changed the default UI to the new point and click, they neglected to add functionality for joining games. So now if you try to follow a link it sends you to an empty map.

I presume they are working on fixing this.

Until then, I recommend going to account, settings, change default UI to dropdown. Then send a link and your friends should be able to join (provided that they too use the default UI).

RyanHatesMilk

#3 Post by RyanHatesMilk » Thu May 04, 2023 8:29 am

Thanks, that worked!

Hopefully this issue is fixed as I think it could put new players off. Appreciate your help and recommendation!

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#4 Post by kestasjk » Sat May 06, 2023 9:08 pm

RyanHatesMilk wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 8:29 am
Thanks, that worked!

Hopefully this issue is fixed as I think it could put new players off. Appreciate your help and recommendation!
You can also copy this link here:
Screenshot 2023-05-07 045938.jpg
If someone clicks that link they'll see the old board whether they're set to use the new UI or not, then the join links are at the bottom..
I need to make a way to join via the point and click UI directly though, but that'll involve redoing the game join logic via the API and adding a new interface to the point and click UI which I probably won't be able to get to this cycle since I think sorting out the NMR alert e-mails is more urgent.

As a temporary workaround to make it a bit more clear I've made the game name work as a link which will go to the join area on the legacy page:
Screenshot 2023-05-07 050826.jpg

levidavidmurray

#5 Post by levidavidmurray » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:30 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:08 pm
RyanHatesMilk wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 8:29 am
Thanks, that worked!

You can also copy this link here:
Screenshot 2023-05-07 045938.jpg

If someone clicks that link they'll see the old board whether they're set to use the new UI or not, then the join links are at the bottom..
I need to make a way to join via the point and click UI directly though, but that'll involve redoing the game join logic via the API and adding a new interface to the point and click UI which I probably won't be able to get to this cycle since I think sorting out the NMR alert e-mails is more urgent.

As a temporary workaround to make it a bit more clear I've made the game name work as a link which will go to the join area on the legacy page:
Screenshot 2023-05-07 050826.jpg
But from my understanding, we can only invite players during the pre-game, no? How are we supposed to open that menu before the game actually starts?

All I see is a blank map with a lightbox modal saying Pre-game: Game is waiting to start