White screens

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
cdazz30

White screens

#1 Post by cdazz30 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:38 am

Can you please cancel the following games as the White Screen of Death has happened in all of them:

Thanks.

sweetandcool

Re: White screens

#2 Post by sweetandcool » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:28 am

How to fix:

Go to Account, Settings, change default UI to drop down. Then enter in your orders. If you don't like the old UI, go back to your settings and change the UI back to point and click. The white screen of death will be resolved.

How to avoid the white screen of death:

There is currently a bug that allows players to select an invalid coast when supporting a fleet with an army. Pay careful attention to where you click when supporting fleets to: SPA, STP, and BUL. For example, make sure to click NC if you want to go to the North Coast of Spain, and make sure to click SC if you want to go to the South Coast of Spain.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#3 Post by kestasjk » Wed May 03, 2023 10:48 am

Sorry I mean to fix this asap but this monthly dev cycle something else came up that I had to put hobby time to instead :( Maybe I'll be able to do some webDip work this weekend otherwise it'll have to wait for next month

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#4 Post by kestasjk » Sat May 06, 2023 8:44 pm

Hi, sweetandcool noticed that it was happening when supporting a move into a coastal area. Turns out when an invalid order is submitted it will only set the order up to the invalid part, so incomplete move orders were being submitted, and the point and click UI doesn't seem to be able to handle incomplete orders.

I've changed the API so it will convert incomplete orders to Holds, this seems to resolve the issue.

Longer term I need to make it so the point and click UI doesn't submit incomplete orders (e.g. by detecting a support move to north spain for a fleet in Med), but that'll be trickier. This should at least let people correct their moves and not bug out.
Also as a long term thing it'd be good to add error logging to the point and click UI so I can see when and why it's failing.

Let me know if it continues.

I've also changed the point and click UI to be able to send messages after a game has finished.