Games not processing

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
Spitnaz

Games not processing

#1 Post by Spitnaz » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:59 pm

It seems sometimes no one gets notified when the games aren’t processing, so I just thought I’d jump on here and mention it so the right people can be notified and take action. If it’s already in process, just ignore me, but I’m jonesing for my next results.

supi13

Re: Games not processing

#2 Post by supi13 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:01 am

What is going on??? Why does this happen the second time within the same week? This is a joke...

aardvarkarmy

#3 Post by aardvarkarmy » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:30 pm

Can we get an update from the site moderators - when is resolution expected?

Spitnaz

#4 Post by Spitnaz » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:49 pm

I thought posting this might expedite things, but apparently not.

VinceK65

#5 Post by VinceK65 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:07 pm

I am sure people are working hard on the issue. If I am correct volunteers manage the site on a non-profit basis. So let’s thank them they facilitate a game which we all enjoy and give them some time.

benbarde

#6 Post by benbarde » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:20 pm

@devs If you open source the project we can help you!

Navel_Reservist

#7 Post by Navel_Reservist » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:49 pm

@benbarde - the source code is linked at the bottom of the page. https://github.com/kestasjk/webDiplomacy

Spitnaz

#8 Post by Spitnaz » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:08 pm

Thank you for the reminder and perspective shift Vince. I am very much appreciative and it is my failing that I did not include that in my original message. I don’t want to come across entitled, I just know that in previous situations the people who could fix it stated that they simply had not been notified and I was trying to remedy that. I thank the people in charge for their prompt attendance to this matter and making this site possible. If there is a better way to notify those who can reset the server, please let us know. Also, a status update would certainly be helpful for our patience.

Luis Aldamiz

#9 Post by Luis Aldamiz » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:34 pm

Obviously nobody is doing anything, as it's almost certainly just the server needing a reboot. Else someone in charge would have posted something about what's going on after 24 hrs.

Saying "I'm sure they're working hard on it", when nobody seems even aware of the issue is how empires collapse.

groves1970

#10 Post by groves1970 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:24 pm

DAMMIT I NEED TO KNOW IF I BUMPED IN THE BLACK SEA AGAIN!!!!!

Jamiet99uk

#11 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:50 pm

Luis Aldamiz wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:34 pm
Obviously nobody is doing anything, as it's almost certainly just the server needing a reboot. Else someone in charge would have posted something about what's going on after 24 hrs.

Saying "I'm sure they're working hard on it", when nobody seems even aware of the issue is how empires collapse.
Since this is the first time you have ever posted on this forum, who are you to criticise the volunteer, non-profit owners of the site, exactly, Mr. Big Pants?
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

tilouptoupti

#12 Post by tilouptoupti » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:16 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
groves1970 wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:24 pm

JECE

#13 Post by JECE » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:24 am

Spitnaz wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:08 pm
I just know that in previous situations the people who could fix it stated that they simply had not been notified and I was trying to remedy that. . . . If there is a better way to notify those who can reset the server, please let us know.
You're probably right that Kestas did not get notified about the issue. However, if he is not checking the site, he is not checking the Forum either. You'd need a way to notify Kestas outside of this website to be effictive.

I don't fault you for coming here for information, though! Hopefully one of the moderators will provide an update soon. Mods can be reached here for emergencies like this: [email protected]
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#14 Post by dargorygel » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:34 am

I have reached out to kestas

Luis Aldamiz

#15 Post by Luis Aldamiz » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:18 am

groves1970 wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:24 pm
Yes (if you're Russia). Nope (if you're Turkey).

Luis Aldamiz

#16 Post by Luis Aldamiz » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:20 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:50 pm
Luis Aldamiz wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:34 pm

Since this is the first time you have ever posted on this forum, who are you to criticise the volunteer, non-profit owners of the site, exactly, Mr. Big Pants?
I'm NOT criticizing anyone, I'm just saying that they do not seem aware of there being a problem.

Who are you to insult me?, may I ask...

RichardWatterson

#17 Post by RichardWatterson » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:35 am

I just want to play my bot games sadge ;(

mrsuitcase

#18 Post by mrsuitcase » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:17 am

Well, looks like yesterday was a bad day for me to sign up!

I was trying to figure out what was going on for awhile there, thinking it was something I didn't understand on how to use the site. Good thing I stumbled on this forum, otherwise I might have been banging my head against the wall for awhile longer.

Anyways, if there's any tips for a newb while we wait, let me know!

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#19 Post by kestasjk » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:57 am

Apologies all, I’ve added 24 hours and reset the last process period. Will look into what happened and let you know.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#20 Post by kestasjk » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:17 am

Welcome to all the people new to the site/forum here btw; sorry if you’ve got a bad first impression, the recent AI publication did but a fair bit of extra load on the system, though I can’t claim that’s the whole explanation.

We are going through a bit of rocky period re: stability; I swear the site seems to wait for the perfect moment when I don’t look a the site for a day and times it perfectly at 3am my time.. I’ve made dargosygel an Admin so he can reset the processing if he spots it while I’m not around (thanks for the heads up also).

What happens is if the system detects that processing hasn’t happened for over 10 minutes it will halt processing; although downtime and no processing periods are annoying it’s much, much less disruptive than the server going offline then coming back online and suddenly processing loads of games that are overdue which people didn’t have a chance to enter orders for.

One definite contributing factor is that we have a status monitoring service statuscake.com (https://status.webdiplomacy.net/ , which texts me (and other moderators I believe) when the site goes down, but I added the bots to part of the status check so that I’d get a text when the bots were late to submit orders, and this resulted in constant texts a few times per day which inevitably you end up ignoring, as when we got a spike in activity the bots couldn’t keep up. I need to revert it so that only serious issues result in a text.

But people are right to be annoyed, we are volunteers and it’s a hobby project but we want to provide a good reliable service and don’t want to use that as an excuse. (I think it’s a reasonable excuse for a slow pace of development, because we can only work for short bursts every few weeks, but the site used to go for months and months without any hiccup and despite more activity recently there’s no good reason we shouldn’t be able to get to that level. )

All I can say is that making the site look after itself and run with little intervention is a top priority, and we actually have improved things since this time last year, and we’ll continue to do so. All we can really do is improve things and over time hope to prove ourselves.