Extending game times

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Lt Gen Lucky
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:16 pm
Karma: 4
Contact:

Extending game times

#1 Post by Lt Gen Lucky » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:40 pm

Gentlemen,

One of my pet-hates is where players put in some orders but then wait until the full game time is up - I try only to play 1 day/phase as any longer just does my head in! I understand that life can get in the way of playing games, but....

So please, please, please when the system is out for, say, 3 hours (like today), then add 3 hours to games, not another whole day. I now have 24-hour games that we are keen to progress saying that the end of the phase is in one day and 12 hours!

Just a little request, I would have thought?

Thanks,

User avatar
kestasjk
Developer
Developer
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: Perth, Australia
Karma: 788
Contact:

Re: Extending game times

#2 Post by kestasjk » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:49 pm

I get it, but last time the problem was I didn't add enough time. The worry is that someone had orders to enter but it's late or they have other obligations, so they miss that 3 hour window to enter their orders and the next three hours they can't access the server, so they can't submit turns out of no fault of their own. I guess it's better to err on the side of giving too much time than not enough, because you can't roll a turn back.
6

The Fox
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:10 pm
Karma: 7
Contact:

Re: Extending game times

#3 Post by The Fox » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:42 pm

Im certain there could be more tweaking to be done to find an appropriate algorithm that is more or less fair (as measured by number/ratio of missed turns compared to a typical turn perhaps?)

All in all, this is a much better simple solution than what was happening before

thanks

aimingtoplease
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Extending game times

#4 Post by aimingtoplease » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:30 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:49 pm
I get it, but last time the problem was I didn't add enough time. The worry is that someone had orders to enter but it's late or they have other obligations, so they miss that 3 hour window to enter their orders and the next three hours they can't access the server, so they can't submit turns out of no fault of their own. I guess it's better to err on the side of giving too much time than not enough, because you can't roll a turn back.
You're right. That scenario must be unlikely, but I understand allowing for it just in case.

Also, I guess that if all the players want to drive on, they can press the Ready button. I am a bit frustrated at the moment because I have experienced a lot of leavers, usually soon after they have had a bad run and are looking rather fragile... so you have to wait until the scheduled end of phase, and then another full phase while they are replaced, or two phases if they have an unexcused miss available :raging:

Ogion
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:21 pm
Karma: 122
Contact:

Re: Extending game times

#5 Post by Ogion » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:11 pm

I jsut had a one phase a day game get converted to two days a phase. I may just order all holds from here on out.
Next: 1 day, 6 hours (Sat, 04:13 PM, 10 Dec)
1 day /phase

User avatar
kestasjk
Developer
Developer
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: Perth, Australia
Karma: 788
Contact:

Re: Extending game times

#6 Post by kestasjk » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:49 pm

The Fox wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:42 pm
Im certain there could be more tweaking to be done to find an appropriate algorithm that is more or less fair (as measured by number/ratio of missed turns compared to a typical turn perhaps?)

All in all, this is a much better simple solution than what was happening before

thanks
Hmm, it'd be interesting to flesh that out a bit, but I think the main thing is people don't miss the chance to submit orders (and to try and keep downtime to an absolute minimum; we've got hot backups going now as part of this)
Ogion wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:11 pm
I jsut had a one phase a day game get converted to two days a phase. I may just order all holds from here on out.
Next: 1 day, 6 hours (Sat, 04:13 PM, 10 Dec)
1 day /phase
Not to worry that's just for this turn, the next one will go back to normal
2

Ogion
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:21 pm
Karma: 122
Contact:

Re: Extending game times

#7 Post by Ogion » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:10 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:49 pm
Ogion wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:11 pm
I just had a one phase a day game get converted to two days a phase. I may just order all holds from here on out.
Next: 1 day, 6 hours (Sat, 04:13 PM, 10 Dec)
1 day /phase
Not to worry that's just for this turn, the next one will go back to normal
Great to know! Thanks

Aristocrat
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:09 pm
Karma: 167
Contact:

Re: Extending game times

#8 Post by Aristocrat » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:55 am

kestasjk wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:49 pm
I get it, but last time the problem was I didn't add enough time. The worry is that someone had orders to enter but it's late or they have other obligations, so they miss that 3 hour window to enter their orders and the next three hours they can't access the server, so they can't submit turns out of no fault of their own. I guess it's better to err on the side of giving too much time than not enough, because you can't roll a turn back.
I realize I was one of the folks who brought up the "problem" last time (quoted because some folks will agree it is a problem and some folks won't). Appreciate the site trying out new solutions; my preference is to always err on the side of letting folks get their orders in, but support seeing everyone's input! Any involvement makes the site stronger. Even if it means changes I disagree with.'

(ps - bring back the donator emojis! peer pressure is good)
2

User avatar
kestasjk
Developer
Developer
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: Perth, Australia
Karma: 788
Contact:

Re: Extending game times

#9 Post by kestasjk » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:44 am

Aristocrat wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:55 am
kestasjk wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:49 pm
I get it, but last time the problem was I didn't add enough time. The worry is that someone had orders to enter but it's late or they have other obligations, so they miss that 3 hour window to enter their orders and the next three hours they can't access the server, so they can't submit turns out of no fault of their own. I guess it's better to err on the side of giving too much time than not enough, because you can't roll a turn back.
I realize I was one of the folks who brought up the "problem" last time (quoted because some folks will agree it is a problem and some folks won't). Appreciate the site trying out new solutions; my preference is to always err on the side of letting folks get their orders in, but support seeing everyone's input! Any involvement makes the site stronger. Even if it means changes I disagree with.'

(ps - bring back the donator emojis! peer pressure is good)
Yep agreed about erring on letting people get orders in. Really hope 2023 will be a year of stability for webDip so this won’t be such an issue, but it’s always hard to tell how things will play out.

I wasn’t aware of donator emojis and that they were gone. :o Were they emojis only donators could use?
I don’t really mind little bonuses for donors, and appreciate the thought, but unlike with MILA where we provided data for free with FAIR there was a lot of redaction effort.. and they’ve got Zuckermoney.. so we all made sure webDip was looked after (not just with code contributions but financially).

We’re not quite set up yet, and this is only possible because our expenses are fairly low as we try to make best use of our funds, not because we’ve got an obscene payout.. But I’m hoping our expenses will be met by the interest indefinitely, so we can take it easy with donation requests etc, and thank god we’ll never need to do this kind of cringe: (Not that I’m saying they “need to” do this)
15B0D553-8A5D-421E-A9B9-965119E5D2ED.jpeg
It’s low on the priority list but I would like to put out annual financial statements so people know what’s going on in that area, and that can help them decide whether they want to donate etc. (And don’t get me wrong all donations are very much appreciated and have always been treated with great care so that each donation goes as far as possible.)
2

Rainfromabove
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:15 pm
Karma: 12
Contact:

Re: Extending game times

#10 Post by Rainfromabove » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:50 am

kestasjk wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:44 am

It’s low on the priority list but I would like to put out annual financial statements so people know what’s going on in that area, and that can help them decide whether they want to donate etc. (And don’t get me wrong all donations are very much appreciated and have always been treated with great care so that each donation goes as far as possible.)
This would be really cool - or some kind of indication of what given amount of funds contributed would go towards. Think it could encourage people to donate if they had at least a kickstarter-esque insight into what the money might end up being used for

Can be a simple scale of if we raise X in donations this year this would go towards A, if we raise an additional Y it would enable us to start paying for B

But understand there are much bigger priorities!! (Like keeping the games processing ;) )

jilui
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Extending game times

#11 Post by jilui » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:54 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:44 am
It’s low on the priority list but I would like to put out annual financial statements so people know what’s going on in that area, and that can help them decide whether they want to donate etc. (And don’t get me wrong all donations are very much appreciated and have always been treated with great care so that each donation goes as far as possible.)
+1 from me, I also think it's a great idea ;)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crazedwombat17 and 2 guests