Suggestion: Automatic Forced Disband

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Omphalos
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:04 pm
Contact:

Suggestion: Automatic Forced Disband

#1 Post by Omphalos » Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:22 pm

Currently in the case of a forced disband the player still has to manually enter the disband order. It would expedite play now and then if forced disbands were automatically entered and readied when it is the only unit in question on a player's turn. It would also occasionally save players from getting NMRs, and avoid the game delay, when they really have no choice to make anyway.

User avatar
Bonatogether
Posts: 9879
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:17 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Suggestion: Automatic Forced Disband

#2 Post by Bonatogether » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:16 pm

I don't know about automatically readied - it might be worth it in some instances, either for in game or out of game reasons, to let the phase run out

User avatar
JECE
Posts: 1624
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Suggestion: Automatic Forced Disband

#3 Post by JECE » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:30 pm

Yeah, I've definitely used it to buy myself or other players more time in busy periods. I think that I've even asked players in this situation to not ready on purpose. But given that we we have the ability to request phase extensions in-game, it seems a bit redundant.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

Carol
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Suggestion: Automatic Forced Disband

#4 Post by Carol » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:58 am

I'm in favor of automatic forced disband orders, but they shouldn't be automatically readied. I feel that would be taking too much agency away from me as a player. But just auto-entering the order would be a nice QoL feature.

qrzy
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:07 am
Contact:

Re: Suggestion: Automatic Forced Disband

#5 Post by qrzy » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:24 am

In my honestly opinion, if you are so impatient, play lol or other shits. :)

Omphalos
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Suggestion: Automatic Forced Disband

#6 Post by Omphalos » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:17 pm

Carol wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:58 am
I feel that would be taking too much agency away from me as a player.
How does it take agency away from you when there is no choice for you to make? It doesn't, unless you're one of those players who likes to deliberately slow games down for...reasons?...in which case you are part of the reason for this suggestion.

qrzy
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:07 am
Contact:

Re: Suggestion: Automatic Forced Disband

#7 Post by qrzy » Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:42 pm

Setting an order if there are no other options is ok, but readiing the the orders is not. It is not a rocket sciencw.

Omphalos
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Suggestion: Automatic Forced Disband

#8 Post by Omphalos » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:50 pm

qrzy wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:42 pm
Setting an order if there are no other options is ok, but readiing the the orders is not. It is not a rocket sciencw.
I think the order menu shouldn't even appear on the screen, because there's no reason for it. Just like you dont get an order menu appearing on a Build or Retreat phase when you don't have any units in question, there shouldn't be one on a forced disband. There is no question about what is happening to that unit.

qrzy
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:07 am
Contact:

Re: Suggestion: Automatic Forced Disband

#9 Post by qrzy » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:09 pm

Omphalos wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:50 pm
qrzy wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:42 pm
Setting an order if there are no other options is ok, but readiing the the orders is not. It is not a rocket sciencw.
I think the order menu shouldn't even appear on the screen, because there's no reason for it. Just like you dont get an order menu appearing on a Build or Retreat phase when you don't have any units in question, there shouldn't be one on a forced disband. There is no question about what is happening to that unit.
So if you have an army im kingston and there are no fleets on the adjacent areas, the shouldn't even appear? Who have enought time to code all of these options?

Kallen
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:04 am
Contact:

Re: Suggestion: Automatic Forced Disband

#10 Post by Kallen » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:09 pm

if an army or a fleet doesn't have a valid retreat option, you're already unable to select retreating the unit from the dropdown. the logic to run checks on this already exists

Omphalos
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Suggestion: Automatic Forced Disband

#11 Post by Omphalos » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:16 pm

qrzy wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:42 pm
So if you have an army im kingston and there are no fleets on the adjacent areas, the shouldn't even appear? Who have enought time to code all of these options?
I don't understand the relevance of what you're saying. What does having an army in Kingston with no fleets around have to do with fhe topic?

Omphalos
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Suggestion: Automatic Forced Disband

#12 Post by Omphalos » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:11 am

qrzy wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:09 pm
So if you have an army im kingston and there are no fleets on the adjacent areas, the shouldn't even appear? Who have enought time to code all of these options?
[/quote]

Your comment didn't make any sense to me at first because I was thinking purely in terms of the original topic I raised - forced disbands - but I see now you are comparing the two situations because they both involve a unit that has no options.

First, this is a bit of what-aboutism, arguing basicly that because problem B exists you shouldn't do anything about problem A. It is not really relevant, but ideally yes I would be in favor of that especially when it is the only unit a player has left, as that is a common time for NMRs. But really this is a silly comparison because the situation you describe is so unlikely that I expect it has never occurred in an actual game.

Second, what are "all these options" you are talking about? My proposal is about ONE scenario, singular. This "all these options" comment is a strawman argument.

Third, why are you concerned about the time it will take? Are you going to have to have to code it yourself? It's up to the developer's to decide if it's a reasonable use of their time. I'm just putting it up for consideration. You seem to be taking it as a personal affront which is curious.

qrzy
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:07 am
Contact:

Re: Suggestion: Automatic Forced Disband

#13 Post by qrzy » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:56 am

Omphalos wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:17 pm
Carol wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:58 am
I feel that would be taking too much agency away from me as a player.
How does it take agency away from you when there is no choice for you to make? It doesn't, unless you're one of those players who likes to deliberately slow games down for...reasons?...in which case you are part of the reason for this suggestion.
I toom this as a personal affront. I will write about it later.

qrzy
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:07 am
Contact:

Re: Suggestion: Automatic Forced Disband

#14 Post by qrzy » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:03 am

qrzy wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:56 am
Omphalos wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:17 pm
Carol wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:58 am
I feel that would be taking too much agency away from me as a player.
How does it take agency away from you when there is no choice for you to make? It doesn't, unless you're one of those players who likes to deliberately slow games down for...reasons?...in which case you are part of the reason for this suggestion.
I toom this as a personal affront. I will write about it later.
"If I'm being perfectly honest, you never readying orders is enough of a reason for me to move against you. You always save, but never ready. So phases take a long time."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users