Possible effects of the new UI on playing style

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
Ferdack

Possible effects of the new UI on playing style

#1 Post by Ferdack » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:40 pm

Does anyone feel they play differently when using the new UI?

I was messing around with a couple of bot games on the play.webdiplomacy site and won a game as France, and noticed far riskier moves compared to my usual "safer" style. This was even more obvious when I looked at the game using the old board.

This may be interesting to delve into, like setting up a series of games to test if people do indeed change their style depending on the map. If it's true, then we may very well see a shift in the meta once the new UI is permanently implemented.

But of course, my experience may be due to the simple fact that I'm not used to the new UI yet.

qrzy

Re: Possible effects of the new UI on playing style

#2 Post by qrzy » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:30 pm

i dont use the new one. ;)

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#3 Post by Trigfea63 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:35 pm

Ferdack wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:40 pm
Does anyone feel they play differently when using the new UI?
Interesting you mention this. I noticed that I was not quite so careful on the new UI as on the old. I had more outright errors in my orders, and also more orders that were not so well thought through. This may be just a matter of becoming accustomed to the new UI. Or it may be that it's so easy to enter orders directly on the map on the new UI, it's easier to act without thinking too hard, or checking what you've done.

As to your observation that you are playing more aggressively, that's really interesting. Maybe it's part of the same general phenomenon as I observed in my play, i.e., playing with less control/caution/care/inhibition?

Ferdack

#4 Post by Ferdack » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:44 am

Trigfea63 wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:35 pm
Or it may be that it's so easy to enter orders directly on the map on the new UI, it's easier to act without thinking too hard, or checking what you've done.
Wish we still had the option of the drop down menus, the new map is not so friendly on the eyes.
Trigfea63 wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:35 pm
As to your observation that you are playing more aggressively, that's really interesting. Maybe it's part of the same general phenomenon as I observed in my play, i.e., playing with less control/caution/care/inhibition?
Definitely. Though on my part, it was just riskier moves in general, but I certainly see how the new UI can lead to worse tactical decisions. For example, having to constantly switch back and forth between turns to check unit locations. It's very disorienting compared to the old map.

taylor4

#5 Post by taylor4 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:06 pm

Why the AI play is open 2 Unregistered Users is beyond the beyond.
Not to be too metametaphorical about it, the EU box doesn't appear in the interface/screen.
Further, without a sign-on, much less a User name/password, etc., the more clumsy of us cannot [repeat, CANNOT] in all circumstances SUPPORT a move.
One can Support Hold. Not easily, but it's feasible.
Further details if desired; how this mode appertains to the Win/Loss/Draw counts, Yo no se.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#6 Post by kestasjk » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:08 am

Heheh that'd be interesting to see if people play different on the new UI. Note that you can and always will* be able to use the drop-down UI by going to Account > Settings and choosing the drop-down UI. You can also choose to drop back to it temporarily via the drop-down UI link in the info area in the point and click UI (and visa versa for the drop down UI)

*Within reason.. no-one quote this in 2033..

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#7 Post by flash2015 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:15 am

Rephrasing for a US audience - "If you like your drop-down UI, you can keep your drop-down UI"...