What about adding new variants in new MapUI?

Developers and contributors can find a link to our github page and engage in development project planning here.
Flame

What about adding new variants in new MapUI?

#1 Post by Flame » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:55 pm

I wonder what is our strategy about creating more board variants on webDip?
Are we going to do it?
I understand that making completely new variant based on a unique board needs time and special code creation work.
But there are many great variant based on the standard board.
One of my favourite is Classic 1898 - Fog of War
Is there any guide how user can take part in variant creation as it was made to the old webDip interface?
WebDiplomacy enthusiast. Adaptor of webdiplomacy variants: Classic Cataclysm, Classic 1898, Classic 1898 Fog of War, Punic Wars, Western World 901, 13th Century Mongolian Empire, Speed Europa, Minor Power.

Flame

Re: What about adding new variants in new MapUI?

#2 Post by Flame » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:10 pm

Flame wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:55 pm
One of my favourite is Classic 1898 - Fog of War
If it's too complicated by now to implement the "fogOfWar"-option we can start without it like here.
WebDiplomacy enthusiast. Adaptor of webdiplomacy variants: Classic Cataclysm, Classic 1898, Classic 1898 Fog of War, Punic Wars, Western World 901, 13th Century Mongolian Empire, Speed Europa, Minor Power.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#3 Post by kestasjk » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:03 am

Unfortunately the new map UI has a lot of the classic map caked into it; it'll take a fair bit of effort to make a version that can be extended with variants, and it's fairly low down on the todo list. :(

I think variants are generally for more advanced players, and more advanced players are generally more comfortable with the old map (I would guess)

Flame

#4 Post by Flame » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:08 am

Ok. Thanks for the answer. If smth will change let us know ;-)