External account / external authentication linking

Developers and contributors can find a link to our github page and engage in development project planning here.
kestasjk
Developer
Developer

External account / external authentication linking

#1 Post by kestasjk » Sun May 15, 2022 5:18 am

Hi all,

As part of a push to reduce the load on the mod team, and modernizing the platform, we're trialing letting users link their accounts to external authentication providers, e.g. Facebook/Google/Apple/etc, and SMS phone linking. The idea is it gives more robust and modern authentication and make things harder for cheaters and easier for moderators.

If you go to your Account > Site Settings page you will see an area at the bottom allowing you to link your account, there's more explanation there. It would be helpful if you have a Facebook/Google account if you can link it to trial the system.

https://webdiplomacy.net/usercp.php#externalAuth

Any issues linking your account please let me know.

Rgds,
Kestas

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

Re: External account / external authentication linking

#2 Post by jmo1121109 » Sun May 15, 2022 5:33 am

Once I've linked my account, when I click logout I get an exception bug (though it does log me out after). I am not currently able to use the linked account to sign in (not sure if expected or not)
Lead WebDip Dev, please email bug reports to [email protected]

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

Re: External account / external authentication linking

#3 Post by kestasjk » Sun May 15, 2022 5:53 am

Hmm, what exception do you get? Could you get a screenshot or some such? Yep it doesn't allow sign on yet; once we've ironed out all the kinks we'll start offering it for authentication.

I do have trouble myself using the Log out function, but for me it just doesn't log me out and I need to clear cookies. Hmm