The DBNI

Find the tournament calendar, sign up for tournaments, track tournament results, and fill out the tournament director questionnaire here.
captainmeme

The DBNI

#1 Post by captainmeme » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:19 pm

The Diplomacy Broadcast Network Invitational begins this weekend! This virtual Face to Face tournament pitches the top 28 players in the world (by DBNI ranking) against one another, awarding the title of DBN Diplomat of the Year to whoever comes out on top.

The DBN will be providing live commentary on these games over the next three weekends. Rounds 1 and 2 (which are happening tomorrow, Saturday 13th) will be broadcast at the following links and times:

Round 1 (Starting at 2pm EST): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1HelPKN0y4
Round 2 (Starting at 10pm EST): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saOhCluU33U

There's plenty of webDip representation there! Durga, Woland, TheFlyingBoat, MaxVax, OB_Gyn_Kenobi, and yours truly to name a few (there may be more I don't know the webDip names of). Should be a fantastic tournament!

Claesar

Re: The DBNI

#2 Post by Claesar » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:27 pm

Shield and Farrenj are also playing.

Josef IV

#3 Post by Josef IV » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:16 am

Looking forward to the games as well as the broadcast :)

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#4 Post by cdngooner » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:15 pm

Enjoying the broadcast!

captainmeme

#5 Post by captainmeme » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:40 am

I qualified for the final with a solo in Round 2!

2 more rounds coming up this weekend first though - I'm looking forward to watching these since I'm not playing in these ones.

nesdunk14

#6 Post by nesdunk14 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:18 pm

captainmeme wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:40 am
I qualified for the final with a solo in Round 2!

2 more rounds coming up this weekend first though - I'm looking forward to watching these since I'm not playing in these ones.
That was a great game Markus, really fun to watch. Best of luck in the final!

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#7 Post by cdngooner » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:30 pm

Interesting to see how tournament scoring rules play such a dynamic on the game (how you got the solo because only one other player cared about the result, and his only options were table top himself, or bust). I'm playing in my first Diplomacy tournament as we speak (World Cup) and have noticed how it plays a role there too.

captainmeme

#8 Post by captainmeme » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:38 am

Aye, it's a weird one. I used to hate how tournament scoring affected how people play, but as my own view on the game has developed I've come to accept it a bit more and learn how to play it (as you could see from that game!)

One of the mistakes I made when I started out playing Diplomacy was assuming that everyone would play the way I did, to the same objectives I did. I became a far better player when I learned that Diplomacy is all about figuring out what objectives people have, and accounting for them, even in non-tournament games. For example, one player might value a draw with a loyal ally over a win, another might value punishing a player who wronged them over holding the stalemate line, etc etc. It's easy to discount them as 'the wrong way to play' since they aren't playing for optimal score, but doing so doesn't change what they're doing so you're better off analysing their objectives and seeing how you can best align them with your own.

Tournament scoring is really just an extension of that. The key is in figuring out what everyone is aiming for, and seeing how best you can work that to your advantage!

Although that all said, my solo was far more of a fluke than I'm making it out to be with that. Everyone else cared about the result to some degree; Austria's play just forced them to have to choose between 0 points and rewarding Austria, or 0 points and rewarding me, and Austria was the person trying to eliminate them.

captainmeme

#9 Post by captainmeme » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:42 pm

DBN released a teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfZkb_IhryA

Grand final is today! Game starts in about 20 minutes but the coverage will start at 7.30pm EST here.

I'm just hoping I don't crash and burn too early :D