Tournanemt Scoring

Find the tournament calendar, sign up for tournaments, track tournament results, and fill out the tournament director questionnaire here.
TheMadMonarch

Tournanemt Scoring

#1 Post by TheMadMonarch » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:23 am

I'm thinking about running a tournament but I've got stuck. I don't know of good scoring methods.

Anybody know any good ones, or even just ones that have been done?

Thanks!

Claesar

Re: Tournanemt Scoring

#2 Post by Claesar » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:17 am

Is it an online tournament with unlimited end time, or F2F with a fixed end year? How many rounds will there be? This all matters a lot for choosing the right system.

What do you wish to accomplish with your scoring system?

The past F2F World Championship used Super Pastis, which is excellent for games with a fixed end and still allows clear ranking even with few rounds. The calculation of scores is quite complicated though. It's also similar to SoS in offering little reward to smaller powers.

Carnage scoring is the other way around in that it offers a relatively large reward for smaller powers but needs several rounds to provide a decent difference between the top players (and even then the margins will be small).

C-diplo lies in between those two.

That's just a few scoring systems you might not be familiar with.

TheMadMonarch

#3 Post by TheMadMonarch » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:10 am

It would be an online tournament with no fixed end. 7 rounds, 8 players to a board.

I've taken a look at some of these and they're quite interesting.

Thanks for the tips.

Claesar

#4 Post by Claesar » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:23 pm

Macca573 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:10 am
It would be an online tournament with no fixed end. 7 rounds, 8 players to a board.

I've taken a look at some of these and they're quite interesting.

Thanks for the tips.
7 rounds? That's hefty! Personally I'd prefer Carnage in that case. Gives everyone something to fight for, and there's plenty of rounds to make the good players slowly surface by performing consistently.

Also should be easy to adapt to 8 players per board.

jay65536

#5 Post by jay65536 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:33 pm

There are a ton of scoring methods that could be used. To figure out which one you might want to go with, it first helps to know how you would like non-solo results to be differentiated.

There are 3 main ways to do this. The first is to reward results based on draw size (2 ways, 3 ways, and so on). The second is to reward based on straight center count. The third is to reward by whether a player is closer to the victory criterion than the other players in that game.

Almost every scoring system utilizes two of these three mechanisms in some kind of blend. So which make sense to you?

TheMadMonarch

#6 Post by TheMadMonarch » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:15 am

I think I like that carnage system. I found a version someone had done to port it over to online, that involves Fibonacci. It's actually on this website ( https://webdiplomacy.net/contrib/phpBB3 ... php?t=1286 ).

Thanks for all the help!

Claesar

#7 Post by Claesar » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:42 am

I've read about Fibonacci scoring! I'd be interested to hear how it plays out.