New Format & way to do orders

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

New Format & way to do orders

#1 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:28 pm

The new format and new way to do orders does not impress me in any way

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

Re: New Format & way to do orders

#2 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:30 pm

In the case of games against the BlighterDalekBots
Thankfully games against other players have kept the proper set up and way of doing orders

Jamiet99uk

#3 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:31 pm

The new interface is better for live games.

The old interface is still good for non-live games, in my view.
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

Octavious

#4 Post by Octavious » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:27 pm

I have no interest in learning an alternative way of entering orders that seems similar in style to the likes of Playdip and Conspiracy, but having the choice is no bad thing. It's just a shame that it's so hideously ugly :neutral:
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

MajorMitchell

#5 Post by MajorMitchell » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:52 am

It's the new way for playing classic & i do not like it at all.
Thankfully the variant World games are still in the older format.
I would note that the original.board game version required players to WRITE their orders CORRECTLY using pen/pencil & paper.
The former way of playing, entering orders was holistically closer to the game's original form than this tap, point & tap gimcrackery

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#6 Post by gimix » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:29 am

Remember that you can still use the old interface, just go to Account - Settings and select the interface you prefer - Point and Click or Dropdown Menus.

I'm using Dropdown Menus by default and only sometimes switch to Point and Click, because it can be easier to read when you want to understand what happened with many conflicting orders in a narrow area

Esquire Bertissimmo

#7 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:04 pm

There seems to be a lot of sticklers and old people in this thread lol.

Just to share a more favourable opinion, I think the map interface looks neat and I find it easy-to-use. I prefer the drop down menus in general because I'm normally playing on mobile, but on the computer the new map thing is fun. It's probably a better format for new players and I'm glad to see this site try to keep pace with app-based competitors.

MajorMitchell

#8 Post by MajorMitchell » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:38 pm

Thank you gimix, your advice is much appreciated.
Twas good to be challenged to remember my password that i haven't used for a long time, got it first time.

@ Esquire Bertissimmo, young whippersnappers should appreciate the enormous amount of work the older generations have done to transform the world to one where they can use IT devices to play diplomacy on the internet and lounge about eating avocado sandwiches

When i was a lad there was no internet, we mourned our fathers who were lost in the First World War, had to survive the Great Depression, then defeat the Fascists in WW2 & then create the modern age of comparative luxury & indulgence

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#9 Post by gimix » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:09 pm

You're not as old as you claim, MM :lol:
Anyhow, a warm welcome back!

taylor4

#10 Post by taylor4 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:37 pm

@MM Avocado sandwich affects Lord Sandwich & he's dropped his playing cards to the 10ants (tenants!?) below.

Challenge you to play with that and write another cleverness a la Alexander Pope's Rape of the Lock. Hapsburgs? House of Valois? Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Please no 18th Century bitterness, PC civilities nor causation for rescans. Or AI as Spamalot.

MajorMitchell

#11 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:07 am

Thank you Taylor quatro for your kind invitation, your use of "another cleverness" implies i have committed a previous cleverness, a proposition which many might & probably should refute.
I read your ten~ants jest.
The Alexander Pope & Rape of the Lock reference if it is a compliment is a most vexing compliment for a scribbler like myself to receive, a veritable Pandora's sack of Praises.
As the basis of a Plot for a hypothetical thread of scribbling fiction your suggestion of a character, Lord Sandwhich & an action, dropping his cards whilst under the influence of or being accosted by an unruly avocado sandwich has not inspired my scribbling urges.
I considered placing Lord Sandwhich in the Kremlin playing cards with Putin & Kanye or Elon & making Lord Sandwhich some type of Espionage agent but the bloomin' avocado sandwhich is inconsistent, out of place in that setting vis a vis caviar & crumpet as the culinary prop/device.
I think i should test the views of the Forum readers before initiating a thread of fictional scribbling in the heroic to be mocked genre

MajorMitchell

#12 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:23 am

I was contemplating a plot set in Revolutionary France, appropriating that basic concept from The Scarlet Pimpernel & Maquis De Sade's play about Marat that has the best title to shut down an annoying game of Charades, i think.it's 17 words, paraphrasing from.memory, "The trial.and assasination of Marat by the inmates of Cherbourg(?) Asylum.under the direction of the Maquis De Sade"
The Maquis De Sade was a fellow political prisoner with Marat, the revolutionary scribbler & pamphleteer..
But then that bloomin' avocado sandwich.. out of place in France at that time?

MajorMitchell

#13 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:25 am

& yes that's a 20 word paraphrased title of the play