MAFIA 78: Random Facts [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
lfischl

Re: MAFIA 78: Random Facts [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

#4041 Post by lfischl » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:08 am

bozotheclown wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:06 am
lfischl wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:01 am
KoalaAttack wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:37 am

Never mind, I just checked my own PMs and I see no notification. That answers that.

So, the elusive lfischl suddenly appears 32 minutes after the day ends. Maybe it's just a coincidence. Or maybe the Mafia Chat Discord notifications are exploding? A bit Suspicions, this.
I had thing for school that I wasn't going to be on from 1-6(PST) then I went home and did something with fam and checked after that. I didn't expect ya'll to hammer in 7 hours
What made you suspect PE D2 enough that you told damo you would vote for him, and what changed your mind about PE?
[/quote]

If I'm being completely honest i don't remember, give me 2 minutes to go back and read through that and see if I can figure out my thought process

lfischl

#4042 Post by lfischl » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:10 am

BK3K wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:50 pm
##vote pres

Not feeling confident about any choice. Always felt pres was fishy. Did i follow his arguments? Yes. Am i voting anyway? Yes

Do i contradict myself? Very well, i contradict myself. I am large; i contain multitudes.
Now that I looked back on this bozo do you think this is BK bussing damo or just trying to follow townreads

lfischl

#4043 Post by lfischl » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:11 am

lfischl wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:10 am
BK3K wrote:
##vote pres

Not feeling confident about any choice. Always felt pres was fishy. Did i follow his arguments? Yes. Am i voting anyway? Yes

Do i contradict myself? Very well, i contradict myself. I am large; i contain multitudes.
Now that I looked back on this bozo do you think this is BK bussing damo or just trying to follow townreads
I mean other votes not townreads, and bussing pres

bozotheclown

#4044 Post by bozotheclown » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:15 am

lfischl wrote:
BK3K wrote:
##vote pres

He could have been bussing, but if so he had previous indicated suspicion of PE. I don't know why you wanted to vote for PE at that time, though.

bozotheclown

#4045 Post by bozotheclown » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:28 am

lfischl wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:08 am
bozotheclown wrote:
lfischl wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:01 am
I had thing for school that I wasn't going to be on from 1-6(PST) then I went home and did something with fam and checked after that. I didn't expect ya'll to hammer in 7 hours
What made you suspect PE D2 enough that you told damo you would vote for him, and what changed your mind about PE?
If I'm being completely honest i don't remember, give me 2 minutes to go back and read through that and see if I can figure out my thought process
[/quote]

Are you still trying to figure out why you voted for PE?

lfischl

#4046 Post by lfischl » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:37 am

bozotheclown wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:28 am
lfischl wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:08 am
bozotheclown wrote:

Are you still trying to figure out why you voted for PE?
[/quote]

I’m pretty sure it was a mix of me following a townread and knowing i wasn’t going to be on much

KoalaAttack

#4047 Post by KoalaAttack » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:39 am

KoalaAttack wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:25 am
Princess Neon wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:18 am
KoalaAttack wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:17 am
Maybe folks will say "conspiracy theories" again... but I have to share this thought, and then the rest of you can tell me it's crazy and I'll go away:

<snip quotes>

So... Princess Neon thinks that Bozo is Mafia, but "noone will listen" so doesn't vote for them. Bozo is really going at it arguing with Princess Neon about the role claim, but doesn't vote for Princess and then asks folks not to hammer.

Suspicious?
When I flip town will you proceed to drop this entire thought and forget about Bozo ignoring the fact that wolf Bozo could just be TMIing me town here and trying to gain cred because they were patient with me and tried to give me space to talk when wolf Bozo just knows I'm gonna flip town here.
I am having a hard time parsing out that sentence, but I believe what you are saying is: "When I flip Town, will you remember to go back to this or let Bozo get away with it?"

If that's correct, then my response is: If you flip Town, I promise to come back to this post and thing long & hard about the implications of it.
I went back as per my promise to Princess Neon – and I am really unsure what to make of this.

On one hand, there is an obvious implication of Bozo by Princess Neon here. On the other hand, brainbomb's dying declaration was to suspect rdrivera (proven false) and myself (unprovable to the rest of you, but I know to be false), while rdrivera's dying declaration was to suspect Princess Neon (proven false) and lfischl (unknown at this stage).

I would like to ask others for their thoughts on this now that Princess Neon has been flipped as Town. Including Bozo's thoughts, ideally – though there is an obvious POV bias there.

KoalaAttack

#4048 Post by KoalaAttack » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:43 am

Princess Neon wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:40 am
KoalaAttack wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:25 am
Princess Neon wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:18 am

When I flip town will you proceed to drop this entire thought and forget about Bozo ignoring the fact that wolf Bozo could just be TMIing me town here and trying to gain cred because they were patient with me and tried to give me space to talk when wolf Bozo just knows I'm gonna flip town here.
I am having a hard time parsing out that sentence, but I believe what you are saying is: "When I flip Town, will you remember to go back to this or let Bozo get away with it?"

If that's correct, then my response is: If you flip Town, I promise to come back to this post and thing long & hard about the implications of it.
Dope.
I should have quoted this version. Princess Neon said "Dope."

TheFlyingBoat

#4049 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:50 am

Wtf??? I come back from a successful pop-up only to find out that y'all hammered Neon?!? It was pretty clear imo from their play that they were town and we wasted a valuable MK. And just because it is meta here that hardclaim lies=death doesn't mean it is elsewhere and we KNOW that Neon is active elsewhere and inherits a meta from there based on everything they said.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#4050 Post by Chaqa » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:11 pm

bozotheclown wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:04 am
Chaqa wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:51 am
bozotheclown wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:22 am

We could have taken more time to consider if we needed to policy Neon.
I wouldn't have changed my mind. It's why I hammered.

Personally, I am also down to hammer Lfischl tomorrow, but I'm sure i'm a radical on that front.
You said this D4, why did you not consider this D5:
Chaqa wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:22 pm
President Eden wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:03 pm

Who cares why anyone would claim there? Look at the surrounding corroborating evidence.
It's just as easily explained by someone thinking mafia would expect Flum to be protected and deciding to self-protect N1, which could be true of literally any one of us. And given the rise of town fakeclaims, if I were the doctor I might not be so quick to assume CCing nets a scum when Neon could be town trying to shake Swordsman's stink.
I didnt need to consider it. Neon had to go, even if I thought there was a chance she was town, because we can’t be operating on bad assumptions

Bonatogether

#4051 Post by Bonatogether » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:12 pm

BK3K wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:41 am
bozotheclown wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:36 am
I am fairly confident that the 2 mafia voted to hammer Neon, unfortunately the mafia can likely get a mis-kill of lfischl to win.
Why do you exclude tfb?

It would be easy to see the momentum and stay away from it
agree with bishkek

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#4052 Post by Chaqa » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:13 pm

TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:50 am
Wtf??? I come back from a successful pop-up only to find out that y'all hammered Neon?!? It was pretty clear imo from their play that they were town and we wasted a valuable MK. And just because it is meta here that hardclaim lies=death doesn't mean it is elsewhere and we KNOW that Neon is active elsewhere and inherits a meta from there based on everything they said.
Ignorance of the law is not an affirmative defense.

Bonatogether

#4053 Post by Bonatogether » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:14 pm

bozotheclown wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:22 am
Chaqa wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:17 am
bozotheclown wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:14 am

Why hammer as town? What did it accomplish?
We now spend this time speculating on who scum is knowing Neon was town, instead of having to consider both options.
We could have taken more time to consider if we needed to policy Neon.
there was no way that day was going anywhere else

Bonatogether

#4054 Post by Bonatogether » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:16 pm

lfischl wrote:
BK3K wrote:
##vote pres

damo was town

Bonatogether

#4055 Post by Bonatogether » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:17 pm

TheFlyingBoat wrote:
cringe post

:troll:

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4056 Post by dargorygel » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:39 pm

GM NOTE OF RANDOM FACTUALIZATION OF NAUTICAL IDIOMS.
(this is long... as I compiled this list, with a lot of plagiarism, I just kept adding! But I was out of pocket yesterday, and missed opportunities. I hope you larn summat.)

1. Feeling blue
Feeling blue is an idiom we use a lot when we are feeling down or depressed but where did it come from? There are some schools of thought that argue that the term “feeling blue” came from a maritime custom of raising a blue flag after the ship’s captain died. On return to the home port, the blue flag was raised notifying the authorities in advance about the demise of the captain. A negative connotation is associated with the fact that the crew either were feeling generally sad about the loss of their leader or perhaps more a feeling of apprehension as they had a bit of explaining to do as to the death of their master to avoid any accusations of mutiny.

2. Down in the doldrums
Being stuck at sea without the prospect of wind is an unenviable situation particularly when the wind was the only mode of propulsion. The Doldrums is an actual area of low pressure which you find just north of the equator. It is known for extremely light winds or no wind and spans several hundred miles. The area is known as the Inter-Tropical Convergence Zone or simply “itch“.
Today we use the idiom to express that we are not in a good (mental) space…

3. Pipe down
Shut up! Pipe down… It is time for a bit of quiet! You heard the expression enough times but where did it come from? Well, the Bosun’s whistle is referred to as a pipe because when you blow on it you “pipe” a command rather than whistle one. It is a rudimentary high-pitched instrument that was used to communicate orders and commands over the noise of the sea or battle. It was also used to order the crew to “pipe down” and move into their nightly routine. Shortly thereafter most sailors would bunk down and go to sleep. Hence the connection between the old pipe down command and the modern “be quiet” idiom.
Today, the Bosun’s pipe is still used to welcome high ranking officers or honoured guest onboard a ship.

4. By and large
Today we use “by and large” to mean on the whole; everything considered. However, the expression has a nautical origin. It used to refer to a sailing vessel’s ability to sail well close to the wind (by) as well as the ability to sail well with the wind behind you (large).

5. Aloof
If you are aloof you are acting in a way that can be seen as unfriendly or not very forthcoming. A sailing origin, in essence, keeping or staying aloof referred to steering the sailing vessel away from a lee shore or obstacle usually as much into the wind as the ship was capable of. The “moving away” is now interpreted as keeping your distance in both a physical and emotional sense.

6. Dutch Courage
The Anglo-Dutch wars between England (now Great Britain) and the Dutch Republic (now the Netherlands) was predominantly fought at sea. The expression “Dutch courage” arguably came from the English soldiers that noticed that there was a direct correlation between the consumption of Jenever (a Dutch gin) and the courage displayed by the consumers of the beverage. Today, however, we use the expression “Dutch courage” where a drunk is displaying a level of bravery that is clearly fully contributable to his inebriation.

7. As the crow flies
As the crow flies denotes the shortest route between two points. ie, a straight line on the map. In the days before sophisticated navigational aids, Vikings use to deploy crows as a last resort to find land. It is said that the crows would fly instinctively directly to the nearest land. Naturally, if the crow came back no land was in reach. A simple calculation of flight time and speed would tell the sailors that land was at least that distance or more away on that specific bearing. However, if the crow didn’t return it was assumed it found land and the sailors would set a course on the same bearing as the crow took.

8. Son of a gun
So you thought a son of a gun was just a tough fellow. Perhaps its origin somewhere in the mid-west in them gun slinging days. Perhaps, but originally, it is a nautical term for a child of uncertain parenting. When women where onboard ships they were often there for extended periods of time due to the long voyages and slow pace of the square-riggers. Naturally, some of these women gave birth during their voyage. This was often facilitated between two of the guns as it offered some limited privacy. If none of the sailors owned up to being the father, the captain would enter the birth into the ship’s log and denote that the child was a “son of a gun”. ie, father unknown…

9. Loose cannon
So this guy I know is a bit of a loose cannon… In another words, he is unpredictable or hard to control. Yes, another maritime expression. Cannons on the old ships were heavy and in rough seas could do unspeakable damage to ship and crew if not secured properly. At least 1,000 kilos each, it was common practice not to have loose cannons on the gun deck…

10. To the bitter end
Let’s follow this through to the bitter end at which point we realise that the “bitter end” is the end of a rode (for example an anchor chain) located at the opposite side of the anchor. The bitter end is usually attached to the “bitt” which is a strong point on a boat such as a cleat…

11. Give it a wide berth
No surprise there. Sailors needed to anchor in harbours all the time and were provided with a berth; space where they were allowed to anchor. Other boats never really knew how long their anchor rode was so to be safe, these sailors gave the anchored boat a wide berth so not to cause problems.

12. Through thick and thin
No matter how difficult the situation, we can always hoist a sail, right. The expression “through thick and thin” finds its origin in sailors simply running both thick and thin ropes through blocks and pulleys to hoist sails no matter what the circumstances…

13. Hand over fist
To do something quickly is to do it “hand over fist”. It finds its origin in sailors having to adjust sails very quickly to respond to adverse wind changes. This was often done by several men pulling on the same sheet and literally putting their hand over their fist repeatedly until the sheet was adjusted correctly…

14. Keeled over
He was okay but then suddenly keeled over and died… The connection is pretty clear. When a boat’s keel is sticking out of the water it is upside down and something it severely wrong.

15. Tapping the Admiral
Okay, this one is a bit obscure and to be honest, rather disturbing. So in modern-day language, if you are “tapping the Admiral” you are stealing booze often by using a straw or any such acts that falls within a broader scope.
Now, remember Lord Nelson and his glorious demise at the battle of Trafalgar in 1805 where his fleet defeated the Frenchies and Spainyards off the coast of Spain? So he died during the battle and the rest of the fleet wanted to bring their hero back to England but they were a long way from home and corpses do not last very long in the sun so a solution needed to be found. “I have an idea, let’s double him over and stuff him in one of the barrels of brandy so the alcohol will preserve him and all will be okay.” “Smithy, that is a great idea: make it happen.” Up to now, the story is a bit bizarre but it was 1805 after all so what the heck, let’s just accept it…
But then the story becomes a bit creepy because when they arrived in Gibraltar to take a still fine-looking Horatio out of the barrel, they discovered that the brandy was gone. Looking around for answers to solve this mystical disappearance of alcohol, they found most of the crew looking relatively happy with themself with rather glazed over eyes. Okay, they were drunk. So to cut a long story short, the brandy was in all likelihood sucked out of the barrel during the trip by the crew and that is simply too disgusting to ever forget!

16. Bottoms up
Bottoms up! A cheerful gesture in today’s language encouraging your mate to finish his drink already so you can order another one…
However, the origin of “bottoms up” is much more sinister. It is called shanghaiing or crimping and was a common practice to combat an enormous labour shortage in the navies around the world. In essence, you would be tricked (at best as some were just kidnapped) into contracting with the Navy for your services. It was most likely called “shanghaiing” because at the time a lot of ships simply sailed to Shanghai. The unscrupulous individuals engaged in shanghaiing were called crimps hence crimping is synonymous with shanghaiing. So with this background out of the way, where did “bottoms up” originate from? Well in torts (judge-made law), contracts require some basic elements for a contract to be legal. Consideration is one of these elements. Ie, some payment for services rendered. So here is what the Crimp got up to…
“So Smithy, (yes, by an extreme coincidence it was the same Smithy as above), you look like you can use a beer. Have one on me…” “Gee, thanks glug, glug, glug, glug ahaaaa… Hey, what is this penny doing in the bottom of my glass?” “Well Smithy, that my man, is the payment you just accepted to serve in Her Majesty’s Navy. All legal: done and dusted. We sail tomorrow at high tide and these 6 large rough-looking gentlemen will escort you right now to your new home for the next 6 years.” “Whaaaaaat!”
After some time, the unsuspecting citizens of coastal towns and villages caught on to this legal but despicable practice and became a bit more cautious. “So gents, you all look like you can use a beer.” “Sure mate, and end up like my brother Smithy! Before we accept your beer, we would like to see if there isn’t something hidden at the bottom of the glasses. So hold those bottoms up so we can check.”
Okay, I got there in the end…

17. Showing her true colours
“So captain, that looks like a commercial vessel flying the French flag so I guess it is time for some killing and plundering?” “You bet Smithy… We hate the French as much as the Spanish so let’s go…”. However, within reach of her guns, the “commercial vessel” opened her gun ports and raised her true colours: the Spanish Naval flag. Smithy had seen better days….
This practice was ripe with pirates as well. Whilst pretending to be commercial vessels loaded with goodies from the continents, they raise the Jolly Roger at the last moment to overwhelm the privateers or small naval ships.
As an aside note, a ship “wears” the flag whereas the owner of the ship “flies” the flag. Also, rather than saying “raising the colours” one says the colours are “made”.
See also “Bamboozle“.

18. He turned the corner
We turn the corner after we go from something bad to something better. The first usage of the phrase was arguably spoken by sailors on their way home from India whilst going around the Cape of Good Hope at the most southern part of Africa.

19. Everything is hunky-dory
Everything is going well and without frustration. That may well ring true for the US sailor visiting Japan. There are 2 theories here…
1. The Japanese honcho dori freely translate into “main street”. When sailors enjoyed their R&R in the little back streets of Japanese ports, it was important for them to find their way back to their ship before the ship sets sail. As most main streets lead to the docks, it is believed that finding honcho dori (the main street) made everything okay as the street would lead them to the ship and hence everything would be honky-dory…
2. There is another school of thought that argues among similar lines with the main street (honcho dori) at the centre of the story. However, this second possible origin of the idiom differs from the first by arguing that in many of Japanese ports, the main street accommodates a certain adult entertainment industry popular with the sailors. So getting to honcho dori made everything honky-dory.

20. All hands on deck
When we need to get things done we say “all hands on deck” denoting that everyone needs to assist in the task ahead. This is not so different in nautical terms. The order “all hands” or the longer version “all hands on deck” was given to all crew and officers of all ranks to assemble on the deck for a task, a briefing or any other activity that required all ship’s personnel to be involved.

21. He is dead in the water
When something is neither moving forward nor backwards without any progress it is said to be dead in the water. Similar to down in the doldrums, it denotes stagnation. A ship dead in the water is simply a ship that lost all propulsion and is positioned in the same spot for a prolonged duration.

22. He is sailing close to the wind
Sailing close to the wind refers to taking risks. As in “he sailed pretty close to the wind when he flew his drone further with only 5% battery life left”. In sailing terms, you are sailing close to the wind when you are close-hauled. We are trying to achieve a bearing that is as close into the wind as our boat and physics allow us which is around 30 degrees from having the wind dead on the nose. When we are close-hauled, we run the risk of entering into the “dead zone” and where we said to be “in irons”. The boat loses momentum and eventually stalls and moves backwards.

23. A square meal
That was an excellent meal that filled me up to the brim. The origin of the idiom “square meal” dates back to mid-16th century Royal Navy practices where sailors were served their main meal on a square wooden plate.
Although some argue that the etymology is simpler and stems from the word “square” as in “right”. This has a lot of merit as the words square means right in the context of “right angle”, ie, square. This is further supported by the fact that we use sayings like “fair and square” and to “square things away”. However, this is a list of nautical idioms so we need to cling to the former much more romantic explanation. That’s what Smithy would have liked…

24. Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey
That seems very cold to me and I guess that is precisely what the idiom is trying to say. It finds its origin (arguably not) in maritime folklore where the iron cannonballs were stacked in a pyramid next to the cannon for ready use when the need arose. We have all seen it at the movies, where 1 cannonball sits on 4, sit on 9 sits on 16 sit on 25 cannonballs. (An interesting mathematical conundrum but that is a different story). This pyramid was constructed on a brass plate which was called the brass monkey. It had the appropriate number of indentations to hold the bottom layer of cannonballs. In freezing conditions, the brass plate contracted at a quicker and at a more pronounced rate compared to the iron cannonballs positioned on the plate. The brass monkey became too small to contain the bottom layer of cannonballs and hence, the cannonballs would roll-off; freezing the balls of a brass monkey…
In any case, a nice well-circulating folk tale. Personally, stacking cannonballs in this manner on a ship on the open sea seems challenging at best but let’s not have facts stand in the way of a great idiom…
Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey

25. I don't like the cut of his jib
In the early 16th century, the way the headsail or jib was shaped could give a good indication as to the nationality of a ship. So the conversation may have gone something like this: “What is up Smithy?” “Sir, I do not like the cut of her jib. Although she looks dead in the water and is displaying the English flag I think she is not showing her true colours. Looking at her jib, it seems like a Spanish ship to me…”
By the 17th century, non-maritime folk started using the expression simply to say that they didn’t like a person’s general demeanour.

26. Three sheets to the wind
Last night he was three sheets to the wind so I don’t think he is having any drinks tonight… So if you are three sheets to the wind you are out-of-control drunk.
There are 2 very credible pathways for getting to the origin of the idiom. One finds the origin in sailing and another is windmills. You make up your own mind if we can claim this one…
The windmill theory
The miller referred to his sails on his mill as sheets. The size and the number of sheets he used depended on the wind conditions with one constant. The number of sheets was always an even number (2 or 4) and the sheets were always opposite each other. Deploying the third sheet without an opposite would create severe instability and cause wobbles and vibrations to the point where the mill could collapse. From there, it is easy to see the connection to the use of the idiom in modern-day language…
The sailing theory
Sheets in a sailing context refer to ropes that control the sails. When a sheet fails, the sail starts to luff and flap about. One could argue that if you lose control of 3 sheets, the situation would be rather chaotic as the ship would potentially stop dead in the water and starts to respond more viciously to the swell and waves almost emulating the uncontrolled stagger of a drunk person.

Bonatogether

#4057 Post by Bonatogether » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:33 pm

so i know yall loved my case on eden, and so due to popular request, i'll be making a case on everyone's favorite PBY Catalina Flying Boat
TheFlyingBoat wrote:I am excited to play :)
only scum are excited. scumslip!
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:03 pm
##vote bona
clear signs of trying to eliminate the most based player from early on
damo666 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:33 am
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:12 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:10 pm
flying boat is typing with a smile. there is no fear in that reply. because if there was I would have to wonder if they were 7 years old tonally speaking
I am actually 6 1/2, tyvm. I do turn 6 3/4 in a couple weeks though!
Dob 29.02.1996
the stage of the game when this was damo's only post was honestly the funniest part
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:20 pm
BK3K wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:20 pm
Who am I fighting with? I'm not even reading user names. I just feel like shitposting is the only phase where I'll actually know what I'm doing
##vote BK3K

Who are you not fighting with?
what does this question mean

little known fact i'm mean lol
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:29 pm
ghug wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:28 pm
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:08 pm
Wow, defending your scum son so openly? Very sus Eden! I'll write this off as a parent blinded by love for now.
Unironically scumread this post.
Oh wait you're serious? Why?
scum to scum communication regarding what to do about me
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:31 pm
President Eden wrote:
TheFlyingBoat wrote:

smh you tell me to play and then you rng vote me boo!
You think he changed his vote... to an rng vote...?
yeah I thought he would default vote chaqa and then he realized I was playing and voted me because he's a salty mariners fan who hates the A's :lol:

turns out he is serious and I don't see why
further commiserating about the privations of playing mafia with ghuggity.
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:13 am
brainbomb wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:43 am
What playstyle does a godfather most typically resemble
What is the point of this question? You know how to play
shutting down beancomb
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:57 am
KoalaAttack wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:33 am
KoalaAttack wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:16 am

Uhh.. wait, what? Did I miss a memo or something?

Red color is my emphasis
Also – suspicious!

President Eden was not in the last game, but from all the conversation references I gather that they are a veteran on here... is that right, experienced folks?

Now, for a veteran player to not know who is in the game is Suspicious, is it not?
No, President Eden, on account of living in Oklahoma, is quite stupid and prone to error. Very much NAI.
defending eden vs newbie suspicions
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:59 am
brainbomb wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:17 am
im between killing boat, chaqa, jamie or bungo

at present those all seem like expendable bodies
based on what exactly? I think in past games I've proven to be a pretty damn good hunter as town. Shitposting early, as dumb as it may seem to you, does generate actual useful tells that help create a town core and catch scum.
doesn't actually respond to the scumread
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:09 am
brainbomb wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:01 am
this is the part where you share with me
some townreads and scumreads based on the afformentioned data

and then we discuss that
Town: Bona, Koala, ghug, Eden
Scum: BK3K, 2-3 inactives
lol
lmao
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:31 am
President Eden wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:22 am
You called my interaction with Bona stilted then town us both?

Burgz is your only scumread of those posting?

Tantalus dreams of fruits hanging so low
Yeah because you being stilted doesn't make you scum. I've called you out for being stilted and scum read you for it in the past and I was wrong and you ended up being town. So I can point out the irony of you being stilted while calling me out for it AND still think you're town despite it.
maybe i'm just stupid but this goes over my head. i think he's pointing out that eden is doing something that boat man incorrectly scumread him in the past for, which is eden is doing AGAIN this game, so he's not going to scumread him for it this game? irony being eden actually is scum, so this feels contrived to me
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:52 am
ghug wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:47 am
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:31 am

That's my point, some things are true across all games whether they're scum or not therefore those things are NAI, like Eden being stilted or weird.
And I'm saying you're the one who's always stilted.
Right and the same point applies. NAI to me as well, surely.
claiming NAI points? what even is this
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:32 pm
Has rdr always been this defensive about inactivity? I feel like in my memory he’d just post 4-9 times a phase and take the beating for it and everyone kinda knew that was they would get.
shading rdr
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:17 pm
President Eden wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:07 pm
Bonatogether wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:06 pm
it should deeply alarm you that you and Boat are voting for the same person
I'm sorry but how is voting for the same person 25 hours out when that person has largely been inactive alarming? I think you're misguided town for now, but this seems like a picture-perfect replica of how I railroaded durga when I when I was scum: throw out some of the most inane sus coupled with ~~vibes~~ to get a targeted name out there 20-30 hours ahead of time and then start up a gaslight powered wagon before powering it through at the end of the day.
narrator voice: this is exactly what eden did and boat man helped with
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:04 pm
Did the opening post not say the game starts on Monday barring like a catastrophic numbers shortage? Am I on crazy pills? How did so many people not know the game had begun?
unironically only scum and bozo read the OP on webdip
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:43 am
bozotheclown wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:26 am
ghug wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:16 am

Please elaborate.

Have you read everything?
Yes, I have read everything.

As far as I can tell, Chaqa is being voted for claiming to be mafia, you are the only Bonatogether voter who suspects him, Fluminator is town, and I am not sure why TFB is still voting swordsman. BunnyGo does appear to have 2 voters who suspect him, but I do not see why he is particularly suspicious so far.
I implied I'd move on when swords gave me an independent thought and he still hasn't yet. Why would I move for now? I could vote Chaqa for being a dumbass with the joke scum claim, but that doesn't seem to do much good. Bona is so obviously town, I see no reason to go there. I am not going to vote the Vig.

The reason there is no traction on any wagon is that imo every wagon sucks.

As for my vote, Swords fancies himself to be a good psycho analyst on his website, so I want to see some of the brought to play here. I could pressure Bungo but people seem to be interested in him as is and he seems to be giving something I can analyze with greater context.
if chaqa is town, then this post could reflect a scum unsure of where to put a vote down due to no scum on the block.
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:38 am
ghug wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:51 am
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:43 am

I implied I'd move on when swords gave me an independent thought and he still hasn't yet. Why would I move for now? I could vote Chaqa for being a dumbass with the joke scum claim, but that doesn't seem to do much good. Bona is so obviously town, I see no reason to go there. I am not going to vote the Vig.

The reason there is no traction on any wagon is that imo every wagon sucks.

As for my vote, Swords fancies himself to be a good psycho analyst on his website, so I want to see some of the brought to play here. I could pressure Bungo but people seem to be interested in him as is and he seems to be giving something I can analyze with greater context.
Why is bona obviously town?
Because Bona's shitposting seemed like town!bona not like scum!bona (though admittedly M65 (when I last recall Bona being scum from a previous game's ISO) was a long time ago). Also town!Bona voting a confirmed townie for being anti-town is the most town!Bona thing ever. I think his answers to Koala early were good and I think the way he pushed Eden and BK3K seemed pretty towny. Like straight up I feel like Bona radiates town vibes rn.
trying to keep me alive (he doesn't know i'm going to catch eden)
also this post is literally an extended way of saying 'vibes but idrr what he's like as scum lol'
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:24 am
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:41 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:32 pm
mafia games are fun but they do have a certain level of accepted responsibility to be punctual and present. if you want to be respected be around and be early and be present.
its like a job interview.
show us you give a shit.

even if you dont.
even if you arent town the point is that you should want us to think you care.

there is nothing more annoying in this world than people who act dumb and oblivious, who are always late, who dont read, dont care, and think its everyone elses problem.
Brain, no one is required to play on your standards. This game have 48 hours phases for a reason, you could easily be not available for long periods of time. As someone that missed the first night in the last two games and almost missed this one too I would say it is totally acceptable to miss it and I don't think I am being disrespectful with the game or with other players. I can't and I won´t post over 100 posts a phase and if this was a requirement I wouldn't have signed.

If you think someone is lurking on purpose or being oblivious because they are scum you just DK them.
Oh come the fuck on, in what world is this not a defensive response to brain's criticism of you?

Like in M72, you get shaded by Durga, kgray, and myself for not contributing enough and for being away/not meeting desired activity levels and your response then was just to move on and keep playing.

In M73, Jamie calls you out directly for it and you tell him that you're town and move on.

Since when was your response to getting called out to OMGUS?
further rdr shade
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:53 pm
President Eden wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:52 pm
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:51 pm
##vote damo666
Spicy

Elaborate
Maybe in a bit
he's around for the next hour at least but just declines to explain a vote that lasts until t-0:02.
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:20 pm
BunnyGo wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:11 pm
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:59 pm

Tbf I explained I thought BK was giving scummy vibes earlier, I think some of the inactives trying to coast are scum and I think Damo might be.
Does he seem bored? A little.

Does his math suck? A lot

You may be on to something
Precisely! And his alphabetical reads list!
riding town bungus' thoughts to make a wagon he can't be blamed for because he hasn't explained anything
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:21 pm
damo666 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:20 pm
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:28 pm
Check his D3 towncore list in M72 and then how he posts in other games when he is town. You don’t see that fake attempt to contribute there
Yeah it's great scum play to do a fake readlist day 1
This is WIFOM and you know it
self-explanatory
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:33 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:31 pm
TheFlyingBoat wrote:

It could be confirmation bias, but why you choose a readlist from M72 instead of one from last game that was so bad I used it to justify a tunnel on him? I feel like you are doing the same as what I did as scum.
Because I played in M72????
rdrposting goes hard
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:45 pm
damo666 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:32 pm
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:18 pm

You have tended to order lists by strength of read when town
It's day ONE. I bet you are not comparing like with like.
Scum (alpha): viewtopic.php?p=320131#p320131

Scum (alpha): viewtopic.php?p=273446#p273446

Town (ordered, though in response to a bozo survey): http://webdiplomacy.net/contrib/phpBB3/ ... 47#p248247

I mean I did a quick perusal of games going back to M69 and the only times you ever seem to give full reads lists D1 are when you're scum (both times alphabetized) or in response to a survey (in which case you gave it ordered).
people like eden gave this post a lot of towncred but it doesn't actually explain what's SAI about it. also boat man doesn't really like push this in a big way like i'd expect him to if he were town
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:28 pm
damo666 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:34 pm
TheFlyingBoat wrote:

So you've just decided I'm scum? Or are you scum driving a mk to save yourself?
Are you high? This might be so braindead of a response that I'll be forced to consider you town.
now we're wrapping around to the other side?
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:20 pm
Chaqa and Bona are terrible wagons imo, Chaqa is probably town trolling and Bona is def town.

Vote Damo
this post and the others like it don't count as pulling for the damo wagon
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:56 pm
where did the bungo wagon come from?
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:58 pm
##vote bunny

Better bunny than bona, but it should be damo
these posts are 2 minutes apart
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:13 pm
Fluminator wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:11 pm
I found bona's flailing at the end quite townie fwiw. I would lean towards that being a town vs. town there
Agreed. I find the way the damo wagon died highly suspect though.
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:30 pm
Fluminator wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:15 pm
The wagon was me, you, bunny, and ghug.
I'm going to assume you don't find me, bunny, or yourself suspicious?
Right, so I guess that only leaves Ghug, but I don't feel like Ghug is scum. Maybe it was right but lacked traction because no scum would touch it?
town boat man wouldn't back down over this
scum boat man is realizing he just put himself in a position where he can only bus
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:39 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:29 am
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:08 am

I repeatedly urged people to hop off both of the leading wagons and vote for damo, but no one listened. I only voted for bungo to save Bona who anyone with a brain can tell is town.
Agree about Bonq but still waiting an answer on the map of who is what.

On my POV D1 is more of a popularity contest and anyone that is out of the usual way to play like Bona or Bunny or Chaqa usually end being a wagon.
Very busy with work rn so I can’t give a full wall post readlist like I would like to do. But from the D1, I’ve come to believe that Bona is strongly town, PE is very likely town, Brain, Koala, ghug, and Chaqa, strike me as lean town.

To me the scum team is:

Damo
Swords
BK3K
And then for the final spot either I’m wrong in ghug, one of you/bozo is scum, or lfischl is which I don’t think he is rn
a running theme is the just confident incorrectness and uninspired scumreads that never gets corrected. as far as things have been revealed, boat man has never ended on a correct vote. in fact, on every day, he's wanted to (sometimes circumstances have made it so he couldn't) end on damo or lfischl. what a stunning hit list of votes!
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:50 am
damo666 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:01 pm
VCA and more

BK3 - voting all over the place TI, Vote to put Bunny 5-3 NAI, vibes town: TOWNLEAN

Bona - the Bunny vote tying with himself is obviously NAI, didn't care for the spam, seems to be popularly read as town: NULL+

Bozo - voted TFB only: NULL as ever

brain - vote for bunny introduced Bunny to the frame, weakening townvibes: NULL+

Chaqa - avoided voting Bunny NAI, his doubting my sincerity in believing him to be town is from a town pov only serves to increase my assumption he is: TOWN

damo : TOWN

Flum: TOWN

ghug: the late Bunny vote seems entirely inappropriate as scum so gonna go out on a limb and say: TOWN

Koala: his Bunny vote might be a scum ensure the kill vote but his overall demeanour is very town so: TOWNLEAN

lfischl: the ate Bunny vote seems unnecessary (like ghug's) but it is fish so : NULL

PE: Not a lot to glean from votes (yet): NULL

rdr: Only voted TFB, seems very townrdr to me: STRONG TOWNLEAN

sword: virtual no info to go on: NULL

TFB: vote to put Bunny 6-4 up with 2 minutes to go is NAI, tunnel on me ludicrous but for some reason seems to be gaining traction: NULL

Current guess*: fish PE sword TFB

Other possibilities: Bozo brain and just maybe Bona

Amusingly this contains no Bs so maybe 3 plus one of the Others.
rereading this and I just have to say, what the fuck is this?

The VCA is basically all NAI or Null besides ghug, who you think is town because there is no reason to switch that late as scum and Koala whose vote seemed scummy to you, but is otherwise townie to you? Why even call it VCA and more when it is really just a sparse readlist?

As for ghug, I think your analysis is off as there is reason for scum!ghug to switch. If he wants to alter scum allocations on any wagon then he has very good reason to change. Not saying he is scum, but just saying that you shouldn't town read the vote.
well for one he actually has a fair amount of reads, even if the reasoning and VCA is somewhere between lackluster and nonexistent, so this first paragraph is just a lie

secondly, he's shooting down ghug townreads because of reasons to scumread ghug but being careful to say that HE doesn't scumread ghug. feels like trying to manage a partner's position
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:44 pm
bozotheclown wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:20 pm
Here is a question for everyone (not a survey). Which is the most likely scenario:

1. Bonatogether and damo are mafia bussing each other.

2. PE and ghug are mafia leading mis-kills of Bonatogether and damo.

3. The mafia are watching town vote for each other and consist primarily of BK3K, lfischl, rdrivera, and swordsman.

4. none of the above
1) not likely imo, I think Bona is town and damo is scum

2) PE I think is town, ghug might be mafia, but I have some reasons i doubt that which I'll get into in a moment. As for Bona/Damo see 1).

3) I think it is plausible there are 1-3 scum in 3) coupled with Damo.
now we're at 'ghug is scum' but he rejects the truth that we were just in world 2. props to bozo for that
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:48 pm
President Eden wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:04 pm
Unfortunately I've been roped into something that's likely to take up a big part of the remaining day. I think I'll be able to keep an eye on things and I think I'll be around for EOD, but not sure yet.

I don't think much of anything has changed about the game state. I won't vote rdr, bozo, brain, Bona and probably won't vote BK. damo is my top preference, then ghug, then after that it's a bit hazy. Based on how today has gone I'm pretty confident damo and ghug are mafia, and the mafia has struggled to figure out how to attack a day where the wagons have been locked on to multiple scum all day long. My initial case on damo remains undisputed, and he's now just flailing around right now trying to find anything that will work to get him and ghug out of today - which is why he landed on lfischl (who is basically just a lurker rand vote - and note how ghug picked lfischl too!) but immediately and shamelessly followed lfischl's hint that he might vote me.
Like this post and makes me more confident you're town, but why wouldn't ghug call a hard bus right now instead of equivocating and being wishy-washy? I feel like scum ghug would try stop the bleeding and cut damo loose here. The only explanation I can think of that explains why ghug is waiting and trying to see if there is a way to save damo is if the other two scum buddies are mega inactive lurkers and/or people ghug doesn't trust to lead the game to a successful end after he racks up a couple miskills for scum before getting caught.
defending ghug to the bitter end
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:58 pm
okay this damo-ghug+2 lurkers or newbie+lurker set it islooking way more plausible to me rn
but then with no explanation he flips over to ghug being scum, with minutes left on ghug's lease on life
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:18 am
bozotheclown wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:03 am
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:21 am

@bozo could you reply to this? I get that you can dismiss it pretty easily with WIFOM, but I do think it is something worth at least trying to grapple with before you do.
Considering the primary reason I suspected ghug was mafia is because he did everything he could to keep you from getting DKed D1 after voting for you early D1 and saying you were "clearly scum", you are going to have to do something that makes it clear to me you are town for me to stop suspecting you are one of ghug's teammates.

When ghug and damo became the top wagons, you and PE were already voting for damo, so if you and PE are mafia, you are right about the "inability for scum to maneuver" part, but not about the "unwillingness to hard bus".
Right but you don't answer the question about ghug. Why is ghug not wagoning Damo to death? He shaded him and it was clear PE and I were not going to let him go (until PE did :lol: ).

It would not have been a new read for him, given that damo was one of his 5 targets and would allow him to look pretty good as a bunch of people were on the fence about him already as is. Like yes, some people would wonder why ghug is still alive Day 4, but surely then, if he trusted his teammates, he would have been comfortable going there after forcing another miskill or 2.

Instead his unwillingness to vote Damo for large parts of the day became highly suspicious and in tandem with what happened D1/N1, caused me and others to consider the possibility they may be a pair.

Ghug is a smart guy. Why does he do this?
rethinking his damo read. actually a decent post

he has like 5 posts in all of d3
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:18 pm
Wtf…in what world was that a Damo town game?

And why didn’t ghug force the easy miskill on Damo? Still at work but I’m going to do a long reread at home because this changed everything for me
suddenly confronted with the reality that he needs a new scumread. he's ended every day since this post on lfischl.
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:58 pm
This is going to sound really pathetic...but I just don't know who the last three can be.

D1
Final Vote Count:
BunnyGo (9) brainbomb, Fluminator, Bonatog​ether, damo666, BK3K, TheFlyingBoat, KoalaAttack, lfischl, g​hug
Bonatogether (4) swordsman3003/Neon, President Eden, BunnyGo, Chaqa
TheFlyingBoat (2) bozotheclown, rdr​ivera2005

D2
Final Vote Count:
ghug (5) rdrivera2005, brainbomb, Presiden​t Eden, damo666, bozotheclown
damo666 (3) TheFlyingBoat, B​onatogether, ghug
President Eden (2) BK3K, lfischl
BK3K (1) KoalaAttack
KoalaAtt​ack (1) Chaqa

D3
FINAL VOTE COUNT

damo666 (10) - President Eden*, Chaqa*, TheFlyingBoat, Bonatogether, Rdrivera2005, BK3K*, brainbomb, KoalaAttack, Lfischl, bozotheclown

Chaqa (1) - Prncess Neon*

TheFlyingBoat (1) - Damo666

Like I look at this and I see the team based on the votes being something like ghug/chaqa/rdr/lfischl, but I don't fully like it. Will think on it more, but I am admittedly overwhelmed with 2 jobs rn and don't really feel confident in myself rn. I'll get over it soon prolly, but I don't know how I could have been wrong there.
town boat man usually is a big solver, and while he's said he's been swamped with work, which is respectable, i struggle to believe that this is the best he can come up with. he literally just says idk and gives a list of 4 that doesn't make sense at all. there's just nothing here.
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:36 pm
Bonatogether wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:10 pm
@boat man vote eden
No
cringe
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:41 pm
Wow I must be some kind of idiot. I can’t read anything or anyone. Not going to be on much at all until maybe 10pm since I’m going to a sour beer night. Won’t be on early tomorrow as I’m doing an ice cream pop up as well. I’ll sheep bozo or someone
post-eden flip, boat man is confronted with again being unable to recognize scum and that his reads have been totally off-base. however, he just doesn't readjust the rest of his reads.
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
this post is why i started like really scumreading boat man at all. neon wasn't clearly town at all, and to claim that because neon wasn't from here justifies ignoring that she falsely hardclaimed is just wrong. this take reads very inauthentic and overall just heavily based on post-facto considerations. everything is clear the hour after the flip, especially when you weren't around.

tl;dr for you schmucks
boat man is scum because he can't come up with scumreads to save his life (every day he has either ended or wanted to end on damo or lfischl), he has no solving wallposts like meta, and also he avoids claiming credit for the damo wagon d1 by instead trying to shunt it off to bongo

Bonatogether

#4058 Post by Bonatogether » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:34 pm

going to be awol for rest of today, have a ton of hw

lfischl

#4059 Post by lfischl » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:24 pm

Bonatogether wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:16 pm
lfischl wrote:
BK3K wrote:
##vote pres

damo was town
I meant Eden

Bonatogether

#4060 Post by Bonatogether » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:32 pm

lfischl wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:24 pm
Bonatogether wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:16 pm
lfischl wrote:

damo was town
I meant Eden
to answer your original question, i think it's a towny post. newbscum often try to cover up their discrepancies, and while it's possible he's been coached, it just feels very towny