The Mediterranean Axis

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Claesar

Re: The Mediterranean Axis

#21 Post by Claesar » Mon May 20, 2019 9:24 am

Enriador wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:25 am
I can see a F/I/T Mediterranean Axis along these lines:

France:
A Par-Bur
A Mar S A Par-Bur
F Bre-Mid

Italy:
A Ven-Tyr
A Rom-Apu
F Nap-Ion

Turkey:
A Con-Bul
F Ank-Bla
A Smy-Arm
Looks interesting! I understand the need for harassing Russia early (since they're relatively far away from the coalition) and supporting France against Germany. Nevertheless I feel A Rom-Ven is a better start. It puts some pressure on Austria, which benefits Turkey and Italy. There's even a small chance to grab Trieste in Fall. All for the low price of taking Tunis with a fleet and abandoning Ion for a turn.

Sure, it delays the convoy to Albania, which is probably part of your forward plan. More problematic is that it may induce Italy and Turkey to each build a fleet, which is bad news. So perhaps your plan is better.

swordsman3003
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#22 Post by swordsman3003 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:51 pm

In my ODC 2019 game 1 match (the one I wrote a giant journal about), an Italy/Austria/Turkey existed for some time, but of course Austria eventually got blown away. Italy and Turkey later played to a draw dominated by England (me). I anticipated for most of the match that Austria would be attacked by Turkey.

You can read about the match here (albeit from the English perspective) .

I share the opinion of other commentators in this thread that Austria risks a lot for very little reward by allying Italy and Turkey (especially Turkey). The result in my match a common and logical outcome of such an alliance: a western power (typically England) ending up dominating, and the triple has to cut out one of their members (often, Austria) to keep growing.

FlaviusAetius

#23 Post by FlaviusAetius » Tue May 21, 2019 1:06 am

I think its a perfect alliance for Austria to betray a stretched Turkey