America would be better if the British had won the Revolution

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
brainbomb

America would be better if the British had won the Revolution

#1 Post by brainbomb » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:27 am

if the rebellion had failed America would be way better today under British rule.

Bonatogether

Re: America would be better if the British had won the Revolution

#2 Post by Bonatogether » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:32 am

We don't want limeys! :x All they do is drink tea and occasionally colonize India.

Fluminator

#3 Post by Fluminator » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:41 am

It probably would have looked more like Canada?

I consistently hear Americans say they wish they were more like Canada, but I suspect it's not that different societally.

There's no denying that it's easier to make money and find good jobs in America than in Canada, but it sounds like Canada has more protection if you're poor or disaster strikes.

brainbomb

#4 Post by brainbomb » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:47 am

no
it would transcend even space and time

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#5 Post by flash2015 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:26 am

If the British won, at least Americans would likely be able to spell better. It is colour, not color people!

And pronounce words properly too. Tomato does not rhyme with potatoe!! :P

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#6 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:13 am

Well just look at how Australia Canada and New Zealand turned out & how they are dealing with the CV19 pandemic as just one example. Gun law reform.. public health and education services. as others.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#7 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:18 am

Hoorah, I just played my first one v one with a Dalek, the one identifying as Kestas Bot. I won in autumn 08 with a five sc margin of glorious victory over the befuddled bundle of algorithms & s/w codes. One v one France v Austria and I had Austria.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#8 Post by orathaic » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:52 am

The US is a settler state. It has occupied Hawaii and Puerto Rico most recently, but it was built by Wealthy, White, Land-owning (and often times slave holding) Men.

It's entire history is built around the power and interests of this political grouping. Read Howard Zinn's secret history of the United States.

It is only by distance of the colonies that the escaped the tradegies of revolutionary France. And managed to replace feudalistic monarchies with a more oligarchical capitalist system of exploitation. But the white male supremacy of its birth remains to this day.

Octavious

#9 Post by Octavious » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:36 am

MajorMitchell wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:13 am
Well just look at how Australia Canada and New Zealand turned out & how they are dealing with the CV19 pandemic as just one example. Gun law reform.. public health and education services. as others.
As Canada has only in the past few months concluded that banning military grade assault weapons from public sale is a good idea, I don't think they qualify as being an exemplar for gun law reform.

As for Britain winning the revolution, it would have led to a different Britain as much as a different America. Whether a Canada style progression of a smaller US would have happened is uncertain. It's entirely possible that the seat of government would have relocated to the Americas and the British government would rule from New York and by elected by a primarily American voter base. A sufficiently powerful Atlantic Britain may well have been sufficient to discourage Germany from fighting the Great War. An overconfident ruling class may have led to a Communist revolution later on and a United Soviet States of America. Who knows?

What I can say for certain is that none of us would exist, so on that basis I'd probably be against the idea.

MajorMitchell

#10 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:24 pm

I'm prepared to bet the Canadians get their gun law reforms done, just as New Zealand succeeded. Quibbles about timing deflect from the central issue.. the ability to achieve success or the inability.

Octavious

#11 Post by Octavious » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:42 pm

MajorMitchell wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:24 pm
I'm prepared to bet the Canadians get their gun law reforms done, just as New Zealand succeeded. Quibbles about timing deflect from the central issue.. the ability to achieve success or the inability.
Timing is rather important, though. If the US achieves sensible gun legislation in 2085 would declare that the American approach to the issue has been a success?