Deep fakes - so easy a child can do it

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Deep fakes - so easy a child can do it

#1 Post by orathaic » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:52 pm

These techniques have been coming along very fast in recent months, but this is just so easy: https://youtu.be/mUfJOQKdtAk

Imagine how it could be used to fool dip players that you have a video message from an opponent telling you their plans.

Or how it could affect the US election cycle.
PS: everyone should know about this, because if it is hidden it can be more easily abused.

Octavious

Re: Deep fakes - so easy a child can do it

#2 Post by Octavious » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:50 am

The robot thing is pretty cool, but if I understand that article correctly I can now create my own episodes of Inspector Gadget? It's an exciting new world!

To be honest I suspect that the impact will be minimal. People will get used to fake images in much the same way as they are used to fake quotes and stories that have been around since time immemorial. There will be a transitional period where some will be caught out and many will be quite excited about it, and then it will pass. Much like editing screen shots never really had any impact on Diplomacy.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#3 Post by orathaic » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:18 pm

Yes, there will be a transitional period, and ideally we should make it as short as possible. I think we're in complete agreement.

Please do use this to make entertaining things :)

Randomizer

#4 Post by Randomizer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:20 am

Trump is encouraging the production of deep fakes to lessen the impact of the release of real videos showing him doing embarrassing things like the Russian video of him with prostitutes from his Moscow visit before he ran for president.

MartyMoose

#5 Post by MartyMoose » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:25 pm

There’s the misconception.
Trump wouldn’t care about prostitute videos. He has his support. I expect that Melania and Baron know more about Trumps issues, than even Hilary did about Bill’s. What a difference a generation makes.
IMO Deep fakes are dangerous and work, because they reenforce overly simplistic extremist views for some and, for others (me included) they amplify a sense of fatalism. People now openly accept their own ignorance and apathy.
The idea of the deep fake is simply accepted. We don’t even care if the lies is real. We ignore it, if it suits our needs. We are harmless to stop it, if the lying group has political control.