a 1.5 trillion dollar bailout occurred and no one even noticed

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: a 1.5 trillion dollar bailout occurred and no one even noticed

#21 Post by orathaic » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:05 am

Apologies for the typo, n and j are very close together...

Octavious, ignoring your distrust of Chinese figures, what is the normal death rate for the UK?

Also, do you realise that when all the ICU beds are occupied, that means people who have a stroke/heart attack/car accident who would otherwise get an ICU bed and have a chance of surviving will now be triaged, and coronavirus patients with a 50% chance of surviving in ICU will almost always get the bed first. (though the older, maler, and more comorbidities they have, the more likely they will be given palliative care aswell), so in most worst case scenarios, they are only counting the Coronavirus deaths, not the extra deaths of other people who would have otherwise survived.

Octavious

#22 Post by Octavious » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:30 pm

Indeed so. It reminds me of the old joke research paper:

Rabbi Hunting with Dogs - The Role of Typos in Antisemitism

Although managing to accidentally come up with a statement that blames both the Jewish and Irish Traveller communities is an excellent effort :p.

In the UK there are well over half a million deaths a year, predominantly from the same groups as those considered "at risk" from coronavirus. There was quite a good BBC article that talked about it, but it seems to have vanished from the home page... I'll see if I can track it down.

I take your point regarding the opportunity cost of not having ICUs available for more mundane emergencies. I imagine there will also be a an increase in suicides as isolation hits home. Far fewer road traffic accidents, though, and fewer deaths brought on by traffic pollution.

Octavious

#23 Post by Octavious » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:33 pm

Here we go... Around half way down

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#24 Post by orathaic » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:43 am

Thanks, nice article. Based on that estimate (500k dead by August) I can assume that is 500k deaths in 6 months, compared to the normal rate of 500k deaths per year.

Twice as fast? Does that mean the same 500k ppl die, just sooner? Or that a normal250k in 6 months die, and an extra 250k die who wouldn't have otherwise?

Randomizer

#25 Post by Randomizer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:17 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... 01a74f374/

Trump keeps dodging the question on whether his hotels and properties will get bailout money in violation of the constitution. He's only allowed his salary and can not receive any other money from the government while president.

The last Republican Senate plan would also have blocked any disclosure for 6 months on naming companies that would get money.

Randomizer

#26 Post by Randomizer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:46 pm

https://lawandcrime.com/covid-19-pandem ... statement/

As soon as Trump signed the $2.2 trillion stimulus bill he said he wasn't going to have the oversight that was supposed to prevent him and his cronies from profiting from it. Back during the 2016 presidential debate, Trump said that they needed more laws to make him do the right moral things, but it seems even with the new law specifically addressing his profiting illegally at the country's expense, Trump isn't going to let it stop him. Trump wants to turn the new stimulus plan into another personal check book like his now closed charity.

Jamiet99uk

#27 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:29 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:37 pm
On friday 1.5 trillion dollars was poured into the market to prevent collapse. There was no headlines about it. Am I crazy or is this a really bad decision to make before the virus peaks?
No headlines?

How did you find out about it then?

brainbomb

#28 Post by brainbomb » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:33 pm

CNBC discussion panel mentioned it that day but it was not talked about much