Trumptoad announces the start of his re~election campaign

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Octavious

Re: Trumptoad announces the start of his re~election campaign

#21 Post by Octavious » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:27 am

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:07 pm
Sure, he suggests they come back. That suddenly makes it not deplorable?
It makes it different to what is being reported, and when such a difference exists it makes it easy for Trump supporters to say "that's not what he said" and move on, rather than addressing the problems with what was actually said.
Tom Bombadil wrote:
Nobody would ever tell me to go "back to my country" because they wouldn't know what country I came from. My country is the United States because I am white
Now that is interesting. Are you sure it's true? I ask as a lot of anti-immigrant feeling in the UK is directed at Eastern Europeans, who are about as white as it is possible to get. How you sound tends to be a bigger factor than how you look. Speaking of colour, aren't two of the squad white anyway?

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#22 Post by flash2015 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:54 pm

Octavious wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:27 am
Tom Bombadil wrote:
Sure, he suggests they come back. That suddenly makes it not deplorable?
It makes it different to what is being reported, and when such a difference exists it makes it easy for Trump supporters to say "that's not what he said" and move on, rather than addressing the problems with what was actually said.
I think you are trying to split hairs here. I am really not seeing the big difference.
Tom Bombadil wrote:
Nobody would ever tell me to go "back to my country" because they wouldn't know what country I came from. My country is the United States because I am white
Now that is interesting. Are you sure it's true? I ask as a lot of anti-immigrant feeling in the UK is directed at Eastern Europeans, who are about as white as it is possible to get. How you sound tends to be a bigger factor than how you look. Speaking of colour, aren't two of the squad white anyway?
As someone that has lived here for the past 20 years, I would absolutely agree with Tom here. The fault lines are different here than in the UK.

Three of the four were born in the USA and have US accents so they can in no way be thought of as immigrants. How can Trump be questioning their allegiances because of their views? Does he really want this "marketplace of ideas" or is the marketplace reserved only for ideas he agrees with (I find a lot of the "free speech" complaints filled with hypocrisy)? His comments can't much get more racist than this and we have hit a new low with the number of people in the US that have brushed aside his comments. It should be possible to not like the politics of "the squad" AND find Trump's tweets beneath the office he supposedly holds. Unfortunately, politics in the US is so tribal at the moment that this does not seem possible.

Who are you saying is white here? AOC? - she would be called Hispanic, not white. Tlaib? - I don't know what you would call her, but most people would generally not refer to her as white.

Octavious

#24 Post by Octavious » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:02 pm

Hispanics tend to be white, though. You get a fair few blacks and indians, but by and large they're white. Either that or my family is remarkably mixed race, which is would be rather fun if true.

Tlaib is from Palestinian stock, isn't she? They're pretty white, and certainly a damn sight nearer the Caucasus than I am. Similar I guess to Boris Johnson (the next UK PM unless something weird happens, whose dad was the son of Osman Kemal, who changed his name to Johnson to fit in after the family fled the collapse of the Ottoman Empire. Now Boris Johnson is definitely white, but so I would argue is his dad, and so was Osman Kemal for that matter.

I reckon you Yanks over think these things.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#25 Post by Tom Bombadil » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:17 pm

Fine. By white I mean Western European.

What I’m getting is that in my community you see Middle Eastern kids, born in the US getting bullied all day long by Western European kids also born the in the US, getting told to go back to their country.

Yes, technically middle eastern people are white, but they get treated differently. So rather than debate the term white, I think the focus should be on how the presidents language empowers people to say things like “go back to the country you came from” to people who do not look American (I would say white, but I guess I’ll start saying “of Western European ancestry”)

Randomizer

#26 Post by Randomizer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:19 pm

By Trump's statement, he should go back to Germany with his Jewish daughter and son-in-law and fix their problems with anti-Semitism, immigration of colored skin people from Arab countries and Africa, and other things that he isn't doing here before working on US problems. After all just because he is descended from Western Europeans doesn't give him a pass.

Of course his grandfather tried to return to Germany after he made his fortune running a brothel in Alaska and was told no for being avoiding mandatory military service. I guess we know where Daffy Donald acquired his morality of avoiding joining the military (fake bone spur) and towards women.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Trump

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... c146e76f70

Octavious

#27 Post by Octavious » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:46 pm

Ok, this is one thing I don't understand about the American political debate. I am from a military family and took the Queen's shilling in the TA for a few years. Now one of the major principles of the military is that service should be totally voluntary except in cases of dire need. I don't see anything wrong in people not wanting to join their military. I see a huge amount of wrong about people trying to shame those who avoided the tyranny of conscription. Seriously, what the hell?

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#28 Post by Tom Bombadil » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:03 pm

Octavious wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:46 pm
Ok, this is one thing I don't understand about the American political debate. I am from a military family and took the Queen's shilling in the TA for a few years. Now one of the major principles of the military is that service should be totally voluntary except in cases of dire need. I don't see anything wrong in people not wanting to join their military. I see a huge amount of wrong about people trying to shame those who avoided the tyranny of conscription. Seriously, what the hell?
Agreed

ND

#29 Post by ND » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:55 pm

I am watching Mr. President Trump's rally in Greenville right now. He is a great man and the best President in US history apart from George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. #MAGA