Wikileaks, Assange, and sexual assault

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Fluminator

Re: Wikileaks, Assange, and sexual assault

#21 Post by Fluminator » Thu May 09, 2019 1:52 pm

Carl Tuckerson wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:03 pm
Octavious wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:06 am
That awkward moment when you realise that you've locked yourself in an embassy for most of a decade to escape a maximum sentence of five years...
I heard something interesting about this--apparently the reason the charge is so small is because they are hitting him with some minor crime that's not directly related to his big WikiLeaks-related breaches, so they don't have to worry about potential Constitutional protections or similar laws to protect whistleblowers. The US government obviously wants to sidestep the policy discussion involved in the heavier charges that could be brought.
It kinda makes you wonder what they're really up to though, because you're right that that sentence is much smaller than anticipated. Nobody wants to spend five years in a US prison, but he can still easily leave prison and still be a threat to "US security interests," which defeats the whole point of bringing him here, I would think. I hate having to say it about my country but I would not put it past him "having an accident" during those five years.
This is correct.
America hates Assange for helping reveal just how evil they are. Unfortunately most Americans don't care and got angry at Assange.
This rape case discredits him and gets an excuse to extradite him.

I've looked into the rape case a bit but it's currently social taboo to give my opinion on the evidence.

Randomizer

#22 Post by Randomizer » Thu May 09, 2019 4:31 pm

Assange is getting indicted in the US not just for publishing the leaks, but providing password breaking help on a secured restricted US computer system to get files. He went from semi-legal publisher to helping to steal secrets.

Dejan0707

#23 Post by Dejan0707 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:10 pm

If Assange was born in Russia as Assangeov and uncovered Russian dirty secrets he would be celebrated in the west as a hero and fighter for freedom and liberty. Russia would on the other hand charge him for criminal act and rape. Enemy of my enemy is my friend. That is how it was from the first human society and that is how it would be until the last.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#24 Post by flash2015 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:59 pm

Randomizer wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:31 pm
Assange is getting indicted in the US not just for publishing the leaks, but providing password breaking help on a secured restricted US computer system to get files. He went from semi-legal publisher to helping to steal secrets.
I **thought** the charge was only the password breaking part? He can't be extradited for publishing the leaks...though they will probably add on additional charges once he reaches the USA.

Randomizer

#25 Post by Randomizer » Thu May 09, 2019 9:25 pm

There is a long history of cases where publishing secrets isn't always punished going back to the Nixon years and the Ellsberg Pentagon papers. It depends upon the publisher and whether it can be considered a matter of national security like the names and locations of spies (which is punishable).

https://www.history.com/topics/vietnam- ... gon-papers

Now punishing the leaker is a given and has already been done.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#26 Post by flash2015 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:40 pm

It is a bit different though than people like Ellsberg or Snowden. They both worked for the government with security clearances. Assange is a foreign national.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#27 Post by orathaic » Fri May 10, 2019 6:33 am

flash2015 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:40 pm
It is a bit different though than people like Ellsberg or Snowden. They both worked for the government with security clearances. Assange is a foreign national.
As a foreign national wanted for spying on the US, I would expect him to have an even tougher time. However he isn't foreign in the sense that as a US ally Australia is likely to support his extradition. This is not an agent of a foreign government spying with the support of his state apparatus.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#28 Post by flash2015 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:27 pm

orathaic wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:33 am
flash2015 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:40 pm
As a foreign national wanted for spying on the US, I would expect him to have an even tougher time. However he isn't foreign in the sense that as a US ally Australia is likely to support his extradition. This is not an agent of a foreign government spying with the support of his state apparatus.
He isn't in Australia though, is he? Again, for Ellsberg/Snowden and others it is a part of their job to keep secrets and their are specific laws to ensure that these secrets are kept. If it was generally illegal for the general public to release secrets, then there would be a whole host of reporters in gaol right now.

And again, at least to my knowledge, there is no charge currently against him specifically for spying or releasing the secrets. The ONLY basis for the extradition is the alleged hacking (i.e. allegedly helping Manning crack a password which I am not sure was successful). Of course, if you have a link that shows otherwise, please let me know.

Randomizer

#29 Post by Randomizer » Fri May 10, 2019 6:36 pm

From what I've seen in the news the password hack failed, but just attempting is illegal. There are supposed to be emails discussing the hack and its failure which acts as proof of intent and that there was an attempt.