Need help with mechanics of webDiplomacy

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
FxFocus

Need help with mechanics of webDiplomacy

#1 Post by FxFocus » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:09 am

Since recently joining webDiplomacy I have played a lot of gunboat games against bots. So took the plunge and joined a 5 minute live gunboat game. It seems the mechanics of live games are somewhat different to when playing against bots. I got confused and although I was sure I had entered orders it seems I had not and I was thrown out..!

Although I can find lots of info on the rules of the game I'm somehow missing the stuff that teaches the mechanics of how to enter moves etc.

Any help/pointers much appreciated.

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Need help with mechanics of webDiplomacy

#2 Post by goldfinger0303 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:21 am

With live games you have to be careful about entering moves on time. If everyone hits "Ready" the game will process without you knowing if you do not refresh consistently. That can lead to missed turns. But so long as you hit refresh and have saved your orders normally, you should be fine.

If you feel it was something else that was causing the missed turns (clocks not synching, etc) please contact us at [email protected] and we can see if there is a larger issue.

FxFocus

#3 Post by FxFocus » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:20 am

I wasn't saving my orders. Maybe that was the problem?

Claesar

#4 Post by Claesar » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:53 am

FxFocus wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:20 am
I wasn't saving my orders. Maybe that was the problem?
I would always recommend saving orders as fast as possible. That way, there will always be *something* that gets executed when the deadline hits. You can adjust Saved orders later, until you hit Ready.