Request for 7th player

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
Mencjusz

Request for 7th player

#1 Post by Mencjusz » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:38 pm

Dear all,

As you know many Universities are facing significant challenges to complete their semesters due to COVID-19. Where possible, in most cases, academic staff are turning to online/long-distance delivery. I'm one of those academics.

I'm running Diplomacy as a graded course. I have 6 players, so, while in face-to-face sessions I eliminated Italy from the game, in the online version, to my understanding, such elimination is not possible.

I cannot participate in the game myself due to a possible conflict of interest between me and students. Therefore, I'm searching for an experienced Diplomacy player who would be interested in joining 2 (two games) on March 28th and April 4th for 8hs game starting 10 am(-ish) and ending 6 pm (-ish) Atlantic Standard Time.

Please mind that this is a serious issue. Your sudden drop from the game will have a negative impact on the game dynamics.

I will be very grateful for your assistance.

Michael

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: Request for 7th player

#2 Post by New England Fire Squad » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:16 am

Possibly interested in the game on the 28th, but need more info. How long are the turns?

Mencjusz

#3 Post by Mencjusz » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:29 pm

New England Fire Squad wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:16 am
Possibly interested in the game on the 28th, but need more info. How long are the turns?
15 mins per turn, unranked, 'All' game messaging, name of players shown (I need to see who is playing which country).

Claesar

#4 Post by Claesar » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:35 pm

There will probably be someone interested to join.

If not, our sister site vDiplomacy has a variant that allows you to exclude Italy.

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#5 Post by New England Fire Squad » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:19 am

Mencjusz wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:29 pm
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:16 am
15 mins per turn, unranked, 'All' game messaging, name of players shown (I need to see who is playing which country).
I can probably do that if there's a requirement to ready up during build/retreat phases.

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#6 Post by New England Fire Squad » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:10 am

Also prefer ranked, if possible.

Mencjusz

#7 Post by Mencjusz » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:23 pm

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:10 am
I think it will be possible to set it up as ranked game, but, with a low bet: 5.

Regarding 'ready' for build/retreat phases, I'm not in a position to tell students to speed up the game if there is a need for them to negotiate during these phases. I did inform them that they can speed up the game and during the recent practice of the online version of Diplomacy, at later stage of the game, they did speed it up a bit. Do mind that not all of them are native English speakers, therefore, written communication might be slightly slower than oral for some of them.

Also, one more issue, I plan to make a 40 mins break around 1 pm.

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#8 Post by New England Fire Squad » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:44 pm

Mencjusz wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:23 pm
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:10 am
I think it will be possible to set it up as ranked game, but, with a low bet: 5.

Regarding 'ready' for build/retreat phases, I'm not in a position to tell students to speed up the game if there is a need for them to negotiate during these phases. I did inform them that they can speed up the game and during the recent practice of the online version of Diplomacy, at later stage of the game, they did speed it up a bit. Do mind that not all of them are native English speakers, therefore, written communication might be slightly slower than oral for some of them.

Also, one more issue, I plan to make a 40 mins break around 1 pm.
5 point bet is fine by me. I'm in.