Mafia 57 Matrix

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Hellenic Riot
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: Mafia 57 Matrix

#3921 Post by Hellenic Riot » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:34 am

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:15 am
As the thread probably begins to whither away and die, I'd like to ask, and open to all...how long have you played mafia in its various forms?
Do you feel like you fall into a pattern of behaviour depending on role?
Do you feel like you are a) a "good" player, b) still evolving, or c) chaotic enough to join games, have some fun, and sometimes get lucky?
Ten years, with a few breaks here & there. One can be good whilst still evolving though - it's not really a game you can ever reach perfection in

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#3922 Post by Hamilton Brian » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:43 am

Hellenic Riot wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:34 am

Ten years, with a few breaks here & there. One can be good whilst still evolving though - it's not really a game you can ever reach perfection in
I think your play through this was well done. Insidious enough to work some insider stuff, and then a great job of “what are you talking about” to sow confusion. Very early on (day 1?)You hammered me about referring to my newness to the game. Gamesmanship on your part (rattling me) or genuine “STFU Brian and play the game?”

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#3923 Post by goldfinger0303 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:45 am

Hamilton Brian wrote:
As the thread probably begins to whither away and die, I'd like to ask, and open to all...how long have you played mafia in its various forms?
Do you feel like you are a) a "good" player, b) still evolving, or c) chaotic enough to join games, have some fun, and sometimes get lucky?
I think this is something like my 7th game. So I don't have much experience compared to everyone else here. Fortunately, I've been scum almost every time and learned a little from HR and the like. I definitely fall into a pattern because I'm constantly scumread :p And definitely get lucky. Most of the plays and reads people accredit to me are sheer luck. I make far more misplays than good ones

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#3924 Post by ghug » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:53 am

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Since M2 here.
Definitely. I'm way less nervous as town. That's pretty much what I look for in scum when I am town.
Yes, yes, and yes.

Hellenic Riot
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#3925 Post by Hellenic Riot » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:10 am

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:43 am
Hellenic Riot wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:34 am

I think your play through this was well done. Insidious enough to work some insider stuff, and then a great job of “what are you talking about” to sow confusion. Very early on (day 1?)You hammered me about referring to my newness to the game. Gamesmanship on your part (rattling me) or genuine “STFU Brian and play the game?”
Can't say I especially remember that, but a lot of it would've been replicating (or at least attempting at) what I would do as town there. That's one thing that does come with experience - you get better at that.

For instance, I was telling the truth about having no recollection of playing with Tom Bombadil before, but I picked up on things that I know I would've townread him for if I were actually town - And apparently, I did that last time we played together and I was town.

Fluminator

#3926 Post by Fluminator » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:30 am

Ok, sorry busy night!

Thank you so much to everyone for playing.
Huge thank you to Dargorygel for being the perfect GM, especially helping me with the bot.
Thank you to all the replacements who subbed in the last day.

Yeah, it looks like the whole QT debacle has been revealed, and it's in the god thread regarding giving out the wrong QTs. lol. I think in the end it didn't make a difference.

I obviously was hoping for a closer game, but watching the mafia masterly interact and figure out how to dodge the all the kills was still fun to watch. I don't think town did badly, it was just scum team were too good. With the 3rd party being pro-town the whole game, it actually was objectively a more town sided setup. Scanning the miller D1 was really unfortunate luck for town though.

Like I said in the GT I made this setup 4 years ago after my last one (M20 lol) where the goal was to create a fun third party that enhances the game, and isn't just an extra annoyance for town. I also love QT neighborhoods in these games. The mafia completely overtook the ship in no time at all, but bo played very well to get in that position and no shade on Nanook or Damo for picking him.

I hope you stay tuned for my next game I run in 2024!

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3927 Post by bo_sox48 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:18 am

It definitely made a difference. It would have been rather satisfying to get to play that one out, but if you put the god QT in my hands while I’m alive that isn’t going to happen even if I already knew everything that was in it. It’s not right to allow someone to continue playing when the game has been revealed to them regardless of their role or likelihood of using that information. I really think we need to find a way to minimize GM drinking while adjudicating.

Would also not mind rolling scum again. And again and again, and perhaps again. Being a VT in a non-vanilla game is like stepping on a lego, grabbing your foot in pain while jumping up and down, and landing on the same lego with the other foot.

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#3928 Post by rdrivera2005 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:31 am

I am still a bit salty with this game. My fellow townies were completely blind, not lynching Fox is the worst town play I have seen in many time.

Kudos to the scumteam, I was completely sure HR was scum since D1 but just can't build a case but they did an impressive job defending themselves.

And Kudos to Peter for at least considering my reads. And for the bot, of course.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#3929 Post by Tom Bombadil » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:49 am

I don’t think missing Fox’s scum slip was that bad. I immediately thought it was a joke because there was no reason for scum to roleblock anyone.

worcej

#3930 Post by worcej » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:13 pm

ghug wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:37 am
goldfinger0303 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:23 am
Hamilton Brian wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:29 am
It sounds like you all had fun from what I'm reading in the mafia chat.

This was fun but FRUSTRATING! How could town have gotten a better sense of who their mates were? How to be better town?
Listen to the dead. Read the God QT to see what they're pointing out as obvious.

Read the scum QT to see how we planned things and to see Ezio freaking out about how I murdered HR lol
(Disclaimer: I haven't read the God thread)

Don't listen to the dead. The dead in the God thread know too much to be useful. The dead predeath weren't on average any more right than anyone else.
I think the 'listen to the dead' is more about what they say in the thread, not in the QT

Jamiet99uk

#3931 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:01 pm

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:31 am
I am still a bit salty with this game. My fellow townies were completely blind, not lynching Fox is the worst town play I have seen in many time.

Kudos to the scumteam, I was completely sure HR was scum since D1 but just can't build a case but they did an impressive job defending themselves.

And Kudos to Peter for at least considering my reads. And for the bot, of course.
Hey, I tried to lynch HR to avenge you and not enough people were willing to follow me.

I would have lynched Foxcastle if it wasn't for Ghug.

worcej

#3932 Post by worcej » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:09 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:01 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:31 am

Hey, I tried to lynch HR to avenge you and not enough people were willing to follow me.

I would have lynched Foxcastle if it wasn't for Ghug.
Post your signups - IT'S NEXT TIME!

Hellenic Riot
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#3933 Post by Hellenic Riot » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:18 pm

Well, I've had confirmation that I will indeed have free time to join the next mafia game, so roll the signups out

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#3934 Post by goldfinger0303 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:03 pm

Sorry to hear that HR

brainbomb

#3935 Post by brainbomb » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:10 pm

huehuehuehuehuehue