Mafia XL Signup

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Foxcastle

Re: Mafia XL Signup

#41 Post by Foxcastle » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:18 am

Squigs44 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:39 pm
We get mostly the same group of people every game, and these games are all starting to feel the same to me. I'll play, but it'd be great if we could get some newer blood into mafia.
I remember back in M9 we had a couple hydras (or maybe I was the only one) to encourage play. A hydra is basically a coach. A hydra is not allowed to post in the thread, and only has as much info as their student. The student and hydra communicate by PM. The student can ask questions about what something means, how they should act, or whether player X doing Y was scummy or not. The hydra should answer questions, give critiques, but should not put together reads lists or craft posts for their student.
If there is anyone thinking about playing mafia but is intimidated, or anyone new who wants a little advice, I'd be willing to hydra (if Fox allows it of course).

I hope newer players will join mafia, because I think it helps the game stay fresh.
I like this idea a lot, and agree that fresh blood is good. I think the newbie mafia game that Jamiet (I think?) ran not too long ago brought in a great set of new players. However, since this is my first time GM'ing, I'd prefer to not add that layer for this game.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#42 Post by Tom Bombadil » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:57 am

Signups

1. Durga
2. worcej
3. xorxes
4. RagingIke297
5. rdrivera2005
6. thdfrance
7. damo666
8. ND
9. ghug
10. yavuzovic
11. Tom Bombadil

Substitutes

A. Nephthys
B.
C.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#43 Post by Squigs44 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:18 am

K, I'll play then.

Signups

1. Durga
2. worcej
3. xorxes
4. RagingIke297
5. rdrivera2005
6. thdfrance
7. damo666
8. ND
9. ghug
10. yavuzovic
11. Tom Bombadil
12. Squigs44

Substitutes

A. Nephthys
B.
C.

ChippeRock

#44 Post by ChippeRock » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:51 am

Signups

1. Durga
2. worcej
3. xorxes
4. RagingIke297
5. rdrivera2005
6. thdfrance
7. damo666
8. ND
9. ghug
10. yavuzovic
11. ChippeRock
12. Tom Bombadil
13. Squigs44

Substitutes

A. Nephthys
B.
C.

I don't recall the Mafia board ruling I couldn't play this game. Since when does the GM have jurisdiction over player bans?

I want an official ruling on this. Can I GM and exclude certain people as well?

ND

#45 Post by ND » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:05 am

I'll let the GM's and admins tackle this but chip did dead post last game and was withheld the god qt for breaking rules and GM's are empowered to enforce rules.

Durga

#46 Post by Durga » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:29 am

"I don't recall the Mafia board ruling I couldn't play this game. Since when does the GM have jurisdiction over player bans?

I want an official ruling on this. Can I GM and exclude certain people as well?"

Yes, but you can't GM because you break rules. As one of the last members of the Mafia Council, I say that whatever Fox is comfortable with here is what goes. He has reasonable grounds to stop you from playing, obviously if it was arbitrary or personal he would not be allowed to do it. But it isn't those things and you've broken the rules twice in a row. Now I'd advise you to remove your name, or at the very least stop re-adding it.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#47 Post by bo_sox48 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:31 am

ChippeRock wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:51 am
Signups

1. Durga
2. worcej
3. xorxes
4. RagingIke297
5. rdrivera2005
6. thdfrance
7. damo666
8. ND
9. ghug
10. yavuzovic
11. ChippeRock
12. Tom Bombadil
13. Squigs44

Substitutes

A. Nephthys
B.
C.

I don't recall the Mafia board ruling I couldn't play this game. Since when does the GM have jurisdiction over player bans?

If you GM and exclude people without a good reason, I’ll stop you from GMing before your game even begins because you obviously aren’t fit to GM.

There is a big difference between excluding people out of spite versus excluding people out of concern that they may ruin your game. You’re in that latter category and you are going to have to live with the ramifications of that.

ChippeRock

#48 Post by ChippeRock » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:38 am

bo_sox48 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:31 am
ChippeRock wrote:
Signups

1. Durga
2. worcej
3. xorxes
4. RagingIke297
5. rdrivera2005
6. thdfrance
7. damo666
8. ND
9. ghug
10. yavuzovic
11. ChippeRock
12. Tom Bombadil
13. Squigs44

Substitutes

A. Nephthys
B.
C.

If you GM and exclude people without a good reason, I’ll stop you from GMing before your game even begins because you obviously aren’t fit to GM.

There is a big difference between excluding people out of spite versus excluding people out of concern that they may ruin your game. You’re in that latter category and you are going to have to live with the ramifications of that.
So his excuse is that I revealed God QT in one of my games and I posted a meaningless comment in a non Mafia game. I can't access God QT nor was I able to do so in the Cult game.

That is bullshit. I mean, did Ezio get banned by the GM for posting a meaningless comment 2 Mafia games ago? Don't remember any such thing? Exactly!

His reasons are BS, I can't affect the game in any way.

I believe that we have a ruling body on this; not just any random GM who can go solo.

If I were GM I could state that because Ezio deadposted some meaningless comment several games ago he can't play? That's bullshit. And that's effectively what Fox is saying because the QT reason isn't even legitimate because I can't reveal anything from the God QT.

ChippeRock

#49 Post by ChippeRock » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:41 am

ChippeRock wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:38 am
bo_sox48 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:31 am
ChippeRock wrote:
Signups

1. Durga
2. worcej
3. xorxes
4. RagingIke297
5. rdrivera2005
6. thdfrance
7. damo666
8. ND
9. ghug
10. yavuzovic
11. ChippeRock
12. Tom Bombadil
13. Squigs44

Substitutes

A. Nephthys
B.
C.

So his excuse is that I revealed God QT in one of my games and I posted a meaningless comment in a non Mafia game. I can't access God QT nor was I able to do so in the Cult game.

That is bullshit. I mean, did Ezio get banned by the GM for posting a meaningless comment 2 Mafia games ago? Don't remember any such thing? Exactly!

His reasons are BS, I can't affect the game in any way.

I believe that we have a ruling body on this; not just any random GM who can go solo.

If I were GM I could state that because Ezio deadposted some meaningless comment several games ago he can't play? That's bullshit. And that's effectively what Fox is saying because the QT reason isn't even legitimate because I can't reveal anything from the God QT.
What is the purpose of the Mafia Council if any random GM can overrule their decision?

As far as I understand, the GM is there to run the game, not ban players from games.

Mafia Council, we need a ruling. Are you saying that whatever you say can be overruled by a random GM? Could a GM say that I can have access to the God QT despite the Council ruling I can't have access to it?

That is effectively what Fox is doing.

Durga

#50 Post by Durga » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:45 am

There is no Mafia Council... I believe the last members were me, HR and ND... And HR doesn't play, and ND and I are both leaving the discretion to Fox.

ChippeRock

#51 Post by ChippeRock » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:02 am

So who banned me from Mafia? Some powerless unofficial vigilante individuals?

Cmon, the GM is the secretary, he enforces all the decisions the ruling body made and the ruling body is the president, he makes all of the decisions.

That's BS. Plenty of people have deadposted far worse than me (*cough* *cough*), and that's the worst I can do this game, and this vigilante GM is unofficially banning me from a game that I am allowed to play?

Bullshit. Whoever ruled on my Mafia ban is the ruling body. Ruling body, make the decision.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#52 Post by dargorygel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:03 am

ChippeRock
Foxcastle can refuse players... with good reason. We stopped using a Council because folk are reasonable and mature enough to not need supervision. Players are asked (or allowed) to GM when they have proven themselves able to lead/serve in that roll.

You have repeatedly broken our rules. The fact that you don't agree with, or understand WHY we have our rules doesn't matter.

We agreed to let you play last game... and you still posted after the EoD silence. If I were Fox, I wouldn't let you play a game I was GMing, either. (And I was one who argued FOR you earlier.) This attitude displayed here is a good part of why.

ND

#53 Post by ND » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:18 am

It's not often I agree with Durga, but she is absolutely right and on matters of Mafia policy on the website I agree with her.

Also, Dargorygel is 100% correct. He even informed me that he specifically PMed you before the end of phase warning you not to deadpost and you did anyway. Dargorygel can correct me if I am mistaken, but you were warned and rules were broken.

Still, the decision is with Fox and it sounds like he has made his decision clear.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#54 Post by bo_sox48 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:21 am

ChippeRock wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:02 am
So who banned me from Mafia? Some powerless unofficial vigilante individuals?

Cmon, the GM is the secretary, he enforces all the decisions the ruling body made and the ruling body is the president, he makes all of the decisions.

That's BS. Plenty of people have deadposted far worse than me (*cough* *cough*), and that's the worst I can do this game, and this vigilante GM is unofficially banning me from a game that I am allowed to play?

Bullshit. Whoever ruled on my Mafia ban is the ruling body. Ruling body, make the decision.
The GMs of the game you forced them to end prematurely elected to impose a one-game ban and a multiple game ban from accessing the god thread. They discussed it with me for a second opinion and we all agreed it was appropriate. That does not preclude the GM of this game from asking you not to play if they can provide a valid reason, and as it turns out they most certainly can, so it is up to the GMs of this game to determine whether or not you can play.

ChippeRock

#55 Post by ChippeRock » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:25 am

So who was the ruling body who banned me than? As I recall it only a few individuals had any input on that decision. Not everyone related to Mafia.

This sure doesn't sound like a democracy.

How can you have a ruling body when it serves your needs but not have one when it serves your needs? This is two faced and you're not giving everyone fair treatment.

I didn't read Darg's PM before I posted. And I only posted 1 post after the phase ended which said (in response to "you suck at this game") "You're only now just realizing that?".

Sounds like Fox has a real legitimate reason when that's a harmless deadpost and let alone I have no access to God QT.

Bull. Shit. That's just ridiculous.

Durga

#56 Post by Durga » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:27 am

Who said this was a democracy? It's an internet forum game.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#57 Post by bo_sox48 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:34 am

I’m not even sure if you’ve been asked not to play this game, dude. I’m just telling you that you still clearly don’t understand the gravity of what you did and I don’t blame anyone who doesn’t want to play with you or GM a game that you might decide to ruin.

ChippeRock

#58 Post by ChippeRock » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:54 am

Durga wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:27 am
Who said this was a democracy? It's an internet forum game.
Ignoring the rest of the argument eh? Typical.
bo_sox48 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:34 am
I’m not even sure if you’ve been asked not to play this game, dude. I’m just telling you that you still clearly don’t understand the gravity of what you did and I don’t blame anyone who doesn’t want to play with you or GM a game that you might decide to ruin.
I wasn't asked not to play this game? What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Perhaps you should go back to Page 2 to Fox's comment.

Durga

#59 Post by Durga » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:56 am

Honestly, I'm starting to feel bad for you.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#60 Post by Squigs44 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:55 am

Look, ChippeRock, it looks like what you are arguing for is a formal decision put together by a person or group with some sort of authority. Which I understand. It's pretty unclear right now when you might be able to play next, and that's probably frustrating for you.

Unfortunately, having a formal council takes work. So the most formal authority we get right now is a rotating authority figure, the GM. This works pretty well since the GM is not playing and is usually impartial. Foxcastle is the GM and is in charge for now.

If you want a council to make a decision in the hopes that you can play in this game, then that isn't going to happen. Even if we formed a new council, I don't see any council overriding Fox's decision and letting you play.

If you want a council to make a decision so that you have a definite ruling on when you can play next and not a game by game basis, that's something that some council or authority figure could possibly help with, but again, lots of work.