May GhostRatings Published

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

May GhostRatings Published

#1 Post by ghug » Thu May 17, 2018 4:44 am

Apologies for the delay, all. Especially to CptMike, whom we've (I've) denied his rightful throne atop the discarded bones of poor xorxes.

http://tinyurl.com/ghostratings

Have fun!

VillageIdiot

Re: May GhostRatings Published

#2 Post by VillageIdiot » Thu May 17, 2018 5:03 am

Good to be back on top of the Classic Map list. Ahh .. life makes sense again.

ChippeRock

#3 Post by ChippeRock » Thu May 17, 2018 5:54 am

126th Overall and 53rd in Full Press... Not bad.

Mercy

#4 Post by Mercy » Thu May 17, 2018 6:43 am

I have the impression that under the category "DSS/SoS, Classic Map, Full Press, Non-Live" World games are counted too. (Or for that matter, games from all variants.)

ChippeRock

#5 Post by ChippeRock » Thu May 17, 2018 7:00 am

Mercy wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:43 am
I have the impression that under the category "DSS/SoS, Classic Map, Full Press, Non-Live" World games are counted too. (Or for that matter, games from all variants.)
Why is that? Classic Map seemed to be pretty clear...

VillageIdiot

#6 Post by VillageIdiot » Thu May 17, 2018 8:50 am

Mercy wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:43 am
World Games (and other variants, aside from live and 1v1) get counted in the main list while the Classic Map list is just for your standard classic games.

Mercy

#7 Post by Mercy » Thu May 17, 2018 9:17 am

The main reason for my suspicions is that I appear in the July '17 list of "DSS/SoS, Classic Map, Full Press, Non-Live" (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... oy/pubhtml) with 3 games played. I have never played a non-live Classic game in my life, but I did play 3 World games between 1 and 2 years ago.

Telamor

#8 Post by Telamor » Thu May 17, 2018 11:10 am

For some reason I'm always surprised by the number of players there are in spite of the fact I've checked this ranking for the last 3 months. I'm still not in the top 1000 sadly but I am up 60 places. So I've got that going for me. Cheers for the work Ghug.

Dejan0707

#9 Post by Dejan0707 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:11 pm

If you keep up with your win10/draw40 percentage you will rise at GR quicker than you might think.

Telamor

#10 Post by Telamor » Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 am

Dejan0707 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 2:11 pm
If you keep up with your win10/draw40 percentage you will rise at GR quicker than you might think.
Here's hoping I can manage that then

Octavious

#11 Post by Octavious » Fri May 18, 2018 10:14 am

It beats my first ten games. I managed a solo and three draws.

Of course, games were harder then... like exams ;)

Dejan0707

#12 Post by Dejan0707 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:36 am

Octavious you are old with everything from before was better syndrome. People were more kind, flowers smelled better, women were prettier and rain felt more tender when it fell from the sky. I know, I have it too.

MadMarx
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#13 Post by MadMarx » Fri May 18, 2018 4:39 pm

Octavious wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:14 am
It beats my first ten games. I managed a solo and three draws.

Of course, games were harder then... like exams ;)
Hey, have I ever told you I won the first ten games I joined on webDip, without ever having completed a game of Diplomacy beforehand?! :-)

Seems as though I am in a constant state of decline, while others are rising up, but such is my fate...

Octavious

#14 Post by Octavious » Fri May 18, 2018 4:58 pm

I think that may have been mentioned once or twice, yes :P.

Although wasn't that back in the day before the draw button was invented and drawing was such a hassle people would let someone solo just to get it over with? :wink:

peterwiggin
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by peterwiggin » Fri May 18, 2018 10:21 pm

But was it so far back that to order a convoy, you had to order your army into the ocean?

MadMarx
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#16 Post by MadMarx » Sat May 19, 2018 3:56 am

Seriously, though, 1v1 GR is broken, at least at the top of the ranking. ghug had a little fun teasing xorxes, but that’s because ghug knows it is absurd that xorxes is ranked anything other than #1, that’s a dead give away that a 1v1 ranking is broken, period. Once we know it isn’t very accurate, we can try to figure out why.

In this case, it is because 1v1 includes both AvF and GvI, even though they are two completely different beasts, and even though AvF is much more prominent on webDip than GvI. Personally, I’ve played maybe 40 AvF games and got a decent feel for the variant, and my ranking is top five. At that point, I thought joining the GvI tournament may be interesting, and perhaps a good introduction to the variant. After playing a mere four GvI games, with an extremely weak grasp of the end game and general/critical game flow, I threw my hat in the ring a couple times against CptMike, which of course was like taking candy from a baby for him, yet his payout for beating me was as if he had beaten one of the best GvI players on the site. If there were a separate ranking for GvI, I would be nowhere near the top 100, yet beating me at GvI patys out as if I’m top 5 at GvI, which in this specific case overstates CptMike’s GR at 1v1, resulting in xorxes 1v1 GR being understated compared to CptMike’s.

I assume nobody wants to deal with a separate GvI GR, so the solution seems to be to exclude GvI from the 1v1 ranking, simply have an AvF ranking, at least until GvI gains a bit of traction on the site (and assuming it one day becomes viewed as a relatively balanced variant).

Any thoughts?

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#17 Post by jmo1121109 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:55 am

Everything you mention MM makes sense/seems reasonable to me.

CptMike

#18 Post by CptMike » Sat May 19, 2018 5:29 am

Well… 1 thing on which I fully agree is that xorxes cleary deserves rank 1. But the reason why I am #1 and he is #2 is not the one that you mention (GvI).

At the contrary of what you think GvI is now well recognized. I have organised 2 tournaments with this with top players (spiecker, michaelf77, Ezio, Devonian, bryzgn) and there is now even one official one. More GvI among top players have been played than FvI in May last year…

I have also played several GvI with xorxes, which shuffled the cards, and he won most of them. He even never lost any while playing Germany!

The reason why I am #1 and he is #2 is that during the last month I have played a tenth of games more than xorxes without losing any, whereas he lost some. The reason is that I had the 'crown' of GvI and I was challenged numerous time. But he had the 'belt' numerous time in the past and was in the same situation. Another reason is also that I often play 1 or 2 live 1v1 each WE against Nealkochhar, Roadhoag, ...

The problem of the current GR ranking are that:
- when you you play more games you get more points ;
- this was not discussed but another problem is that when you don't play any more, you don't lose any ;
- third is that when you play with newbies, you risk a lot whereas there is some luck in the game. That's why ranked players are often challenged by newcomers so that they can grow up fast.

If these issues could be adressed in another system, it would be much better. But separating GvI and FvA is not the solution.

CptMike

#19 Post by CptMike » Sat May 19, 2018 5:34 am

CptMike wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:29 am
The problem of the current GR ranking are that:
- when you you play more games you get more points ;
- this was not discussed but another problem is that when you don't play any more, you don't lose any ;
- third is that when you play with newbies, you risk a lot whereas there is some luck in the game. That's why ranked players are often challenged by newcomers so that they can grow up fast.

If these issues could be adressed in another system, it would be much better. But separating GvI and FvA is not the solution.
I think a solution for this could be :

1. The automatically 'unranked' a game when the difference of rank (or of points in the rank) is higher than a given value.

2. An automatic 'decrease' of points for each players each players if they didn't play 'ranked' games, so that there is a real continuous shuffle of the cards.

MadMarx
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#20 Post by MadMarx » Sat May 19, 2018 6:13 am

CptMike wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:29 am
Well… 1 thing on which I fully agree is that xorxes cleary deserves rank 1. But the reason why I am #1 and he is #2 is not the one that you mention (GvI).
This month, CptMike, you are less than 7 points ahead of xorxes. Last month, my Elo was ~500 points, and you beat me twice in GvI while I was trying to get a better sense of how to play GvI at a higher level. Riddle me this, how much of an increase in Elo do you think you got from those two victories against someone with an Elo of 500 (I’m confident many people know the approximate answer, feel free to share as I am curious)? I don’t know the math, but I *guarantee* it was more than 7 points, so if you didn’t play those two games against me then you wouldn’t be ranked #1, thus those two games were *directly* responsible, it’s simple math.