Backstabbed by at least 2, maybe 3 countries. Any chance at pulling this back?

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Cosmic_Banana

Backstabbed by at least 2, maybe 3 countries. Any chance at pulling this back?

#1 Post by Cosmic_Banana » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:03 am

http://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameI ... #gamePanel

So yeah, I was a little too trusting of my neighbors and they lied through their teeth to take advantage of an opening that I gave them because I trusted them.

In my mind I believe it is highly likely that England and Italy are allied against me, and that Germany may have something to do with it as well as my army was blocked from Belgium. I've tried reaching out to some other countries but it's limited in what they can do due to entangling non-aggression pacts or the fact that they're in a bad position to provide immediate relief. Also I don't know if I can trust them after what I've just been through.

Is there any way I can pull this back?

mhsmith0

Re: Backstabbed by at least 2, maybe 3 countries. Any chance at pulling this back?

#2 Post by mhsmith0 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:15 am

There’s always a chance. Always.
BUT, it’s difficult, and probably requires either an alliance collapse or an external helper. But it’s a game of negotiations; there are stories of people who recover from being down to one center and solo! Don’t give up hope!

Claesar

Re: Backstabbed by at least 2, maybe 3 countries. Any chance at pulling this back?

#3 Post by Claesar » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:18 am

Cosmic_Banana wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:03 am

Is there any way I can pull this back?
mhsmith is right, but you are a turn late. Influencing the builds would've been nice, as they were all about the worst you could see.

Even Turkey didn't build any fleets to annoy Italy. Nobody likes you, it seems.

You may be able to convince Italy to back off (but keep Marseille). They're in no position to make more gains from you. Explain how it would be bad for them to see England explode, and such.

Germany might be willing to stop too. They're not actually going to gain anything from attacking you beyond perhaps Paris. It would certainly be smarter for them to focus on Bel/Hol. The Russian army in Sweden is also a bad sign for them, so be sure to point that out. Though Russia not getting a build is another very bad thing for you.

England will likely not stop due to their builds and positioning. Fight them with your units, or appeal to their greed.

The moment you face overwhelming odds, you need to rely more on your diplomacy to compensate. Talk more to people and offer them alternatives. Explain why you're more useful alive than dead!

David E. Cohen

#4 Post by David E. Cohen » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:20 pm

Good suggestions, and there is a chance you could pull it out. That said, things are obviously not looking good. If, ultimately, you go down, my advice is to die well. Do not go gentle into that good night. Throw yourself against whoever pissed you off the most, if it makes you feel better. Make everyone think twice before attacking you again.

Nikola Maric Eto

#5 Post by Nikola Maric Eto » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:24 pm

Save southern centers, northern can fall one by one.
Try to make sure that either Eng or Ger become obviously stronger than the other one.

In a couple of years Italy will have to go east to defend its core from Austria or Turkey or die fast and,
regarding Eng/Ger - you make sure to ally with the weaker one against the stronger one.

Usually that works.