New Turkey Player - Advice Please!

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
gunster

New Turkey Player - Advice Please!

#1 Post by gunster » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:45 am

Hi everyone, I'm starting a new game with some other newbies as well (with 1-2 people who're pretty good mixed in). I know it's just after the first turn but I'd love to get some more advice from you all!

https://imgur.com/a/qym4nPf

Here's the map after S01. I had a deal in place with Russia to take the Black Sea while he moves on Rumania but didn't think he'd actually do it and expected a bounce. Also, while Austria and Italy were both talking to me, I was a bit wary of a Lepanto and decided to hold in SMY. Now that..things have shaked out like this, I'm not sure what to do anymore. I have a feeling Russia will move to protect SEV, Italy is telling me he's going to take Greece but I don't know how much I can trust that (I think that's true though), and I think Austria is a little bit out of his depth.

I'm not sure who to ally with at this point. Russia is definitely more of an experienced player, but I feel like if I commit to a Juggernaut I'll lose eventually. I was thinking of just holding BUL, F BLA --> SEV (and just bounce back if he moves UKR there like I expect), and not sure what to do with SMY. Can I please get some advice and also thoughts on who you would ally/talk with at this point? Should I get Russia & Italy to split Austria now, or hurriedly push for an alliance with Austria/Italy to hit Russia?

Josafina

Re: New Turkey Player - Advice Please!

#2 Post by Josafina » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:08 am

Hi gunster. Looks like you are off to a pretty good start. Well done! I thought I would throw out a few thoughts and observations. Keep in mind that I'm primarily a gunboat player, just so you know.

To answer who you should ally/talk to. At this stage of the game (or any stage really) you should be talking and trying to ally with everyone. That includes far away powers such as England. For example it is to your benefit to have Russia and England embroiled in conflict in the north. You should be trying to facilitate that. It is also in your interests for France and Italy to be in conflict to keep Italy off of your borders.

It sounds to me that you are seriously thinking about attacking Russia. If this is the course of action you ultimately decide to take then I would suggest committing to it completely. I don't think tapping Sev is a good idea as it is pretty unlikely you will get it and it will aggravate Russia in the meantime. I would suggest supporting Black Sea to Rum from Bul and moving Smy-Arm. If successful this would give you two builds and with Russia starting to commit to the north you will be set up quite nicely. For this to work you need to ensure that Austria is on your side.

That said I also think that taking Austria first is a viable option. I have played Turkey many times where I have made gains on Austria and then been able to stab Russia. Russia is obviously a pretty difficult power to play and if they get caught up in the north that will be to your advantage. Unfortunately for you Russia is guaranteed Sweden and Rum as well if you allow it. If you take this route encourage Russia to build in the north and get focused there while you work on Austria.

As for Italy - you are in a good position here. As Turkey life is much easier when a Lepento is not being set up. It is not often that Tunis is left unoccupied in the first year - but if you trust what Italy says I would encourage Austria to bounce in Greece. This achieves a few things. It keeps Italy off your borders and does not allow for either of them to get that build. Talk to Austria about Greece, it wouldn't be unheard of for you to get support.

For your army in Smy you should definitely get it moving. As I stated above if you commit to Russia then Smy-Arm is the correct play. Obviously don't do that if you don't want to antagonize Russia at this point. In that case move it to Con.

Anyway good luck. Keep me posted on how it goes!

gunster

#3 Post by gunster » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:59 am

Thank you so much for the help!

Haha the communications within the game quickly broke down and it's looking more and more similar to a gunboat game. Here's the current status:

https://imgur.com/a/jn89AKW

I think France will probably run away with this game, but I'm in a decent position.

I was thinking of making an army build in both CON and SMY, with the ideas of trying to hold Sev at least (and hopefully RUM if I can as well) and making the push into the Balkans. Thoughts?

Josafina

#4 Post by Josafina » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:34 am

Hi Gunnster. Good job! Looks to me like you are in a pretty good position here.

A few thoughts:

Sometimes after a couple of years these games can feel like gunboats. I totally know what you mean. That shouldn't stop you from writing every power every turn.

I don't necessarily think France is going to run away with this. Germany is strong as well. They will probably end up in conflict at some point. You should be working to make that happen sooner rather than later.

You might want to consider a truce with Russia if they are agreeable to you keeping your gains. It will allow you to rearrange your troops. And it will be a tough slog to make it further into Mos/War.

I fear this message is too late. But I worry that 2 army builds will bog you down in terms of mobility. I would want to start getting fleets towards the Ionian.

Austria must be looking for an ally. Germany has a home centre and Italy is in uncomfortable territory. Italy should be looking for an ally too. I would be very worried about France if I were them. Use these things to your advantage!

Good luck. Keep me posted!