Anatomy of a Critical Gunboat Turn: Austria, Autumn 01 - Spring 03

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.

Matticus13

Re: Anatomy of a Critical Gunboat Turn: Austria, Autumn 01 - Spring 03

#22 Post by Matticus13 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:12 am

Puscherbilbo wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:27 am
Well i think Italy should have built a Fleet. At least for me it is not conceivable why an Austro-Russian alliance would be more beneficial to Russia than an Russian-Italian one.
The tactical superior position vs Turkey should be more or less permanent.
So carving up Austria and then reorganizing Turkey seems a really strong option.
A Wintergreen is easier to arrange in press than a gunboat. I, as Russia, was hoping the battle between A/I would continue for a many years, so I could take advantage of Austria, but Italy went down faster than anticipated.

Carl Tuckerson

#23 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:03 am

New England Fire Squad wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:17 pm
Puscherbilbo wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:34 am
If Italy does not go for this kind of stupid built then an army surpasses a Fleet in its usefulness. The situation seems highly fluent tactically. So delaying any advance of our neighbours hightens the probability for someone to switch sides.
I am also banking on the fact that Russia might go for the easier target available. But this also means i should not present myself as such.
Italy hit the wrong button.
I honestly wondered if this was the case, I had to play it as though you meant the army build (and I think the tactical exercise in this thread was improved by that build, at least) but building a fleet in Rome would have been a clear pivot that I'd have probably accepted, although I'm not sure how that would have affected my front with Russia.

Puscherbilbo

#24 Post by Puscherbilbo » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:00 am

But that would have made that fleet kind of obsolete...

Carl Tuckerson

#25 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:52 pm

Puscherbilbo wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:00 am
But that would have made that fleet kind of obsolete...
The fleet Rome suggests war with France, which means I'd need a navy to gain traction on Turkey.

Puscherbilbo

#26 Post by Puscherbilbo » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:09 am

Or the fleet gets build in Naples..
And any Fleetbuilt of Austria should upset Italy.

Carl Tuckerson

#27 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:39 am

If he's going to pivot then he has to be understanding of a build like that and trust that Austria will be understanding of the implications of his build. He won't be happy about it but maybe he shouldn't have tried to grab Trieste :razz:

Kitsune

#28 Post by Kitsune » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:03 am

I'm going to reply to the OP before I read any of the rest of the thread (spoilers, you know!).

I've been "randomly assigned" Austria a bit lately, so will be good to actually take a step back and analyse things lol.
You are Austria.

What orders are you anticipating out of the other powers in Autumn 1901?
This is gunboat, which is a weakness of mine. Judging purely from the board...

Local

Italy - I wouldn't be surprised by an opportunistic A Ven - Tri, but mostly seems to be going for Tunis with the fleet and Marseilles with A Pie. Seems to be adopting a more central wait-and-see position, so may throw the dice for Mar and Tri both and let any centers gained dictate where he goes next. Italy is not expecting to be Austria or France's first priority.

Russia - Turkey appears to be offering an alliance and Russia hasn't committed himself irreparably against her. Mildly concerned about F Den, but not about the English, Russia is prepared to fight a war in the south so I'd expect F BOT - Swe, F BLA S A Ukr - Rum and A War - Gal again (probably vacating BLA next season if Turkey continues to look friendly).

Turkey - Instead of fighting over the Black Sea, Turkey wants to get their fleet into the Med as a priority. Russia clearly expected a bounce in the Black Sea and hasn't committed themselves wholly against Turkey, so Turkey adopts a trust-but-verify stance. Not being able to take Greece from Austria if Austria wants it, I suggest A Bul S F ION - Gre. Austria will likely take it, and this is an overture to Italy. F Con - AEG for defense against Italy, to clear Con while its almost certain and to put pressure on Greece in the new year. A Ank - Con to continue the advance west, though with one wary eye north.

Distant

Based on the board, I see England/Germany vs France brewing if they can get coordinated enough. France is threatened in the north, but will probably bounce Spa and Gas in Mar to keep it open for builds and judge his Italian neighbour with F MAO making the marginal move and taking Portugal. England will pick up Norway and probably try a convoy into Belgium or Picardy (judging that France will almost certainly move to Brest and that losing two units for a probable failure is less important than getting his army onto the continent. Germany wants England on the continent, so will probably support a convoy to Belgium from Ruh while F Den pokes the Russian bear in Sweden and A Kie takes Holland.
What strategic objectives are you building towards with your Autumn 1901 turn?
As Austria I want to sway Turkey onto my side against I and R, and build up my centers in case I have to go it alone for a few seasons.
What orders are you entering for Autumn 1901?
F Alb - Tri
A Ser S A Bul - Rum
A Vie - Tri
Is there anything else you'd like to share about this turn?
Not really. Just that while moving one or both units to Greece is highly tempting it feels like a bit of a poisoned apple here - taking it is possible, even probable, but at a cost.
The second map is after Autumn 1901. Unfortunately there is a spoiler here, as I didn't think to screenshot the map before builds, so you can see that I made a curious decision.

Do you agree with my build decision? What if anything would you have done differently?
Makes sense to me. You have two builds and two places to build, and with Italy getting aggressive you need a fleet in the Adriatic you can't easily strip from playing with Turkey.
Are you surprised by any of the orders the other countries entered for Autumn 01?
Italy: Yes, I didn't see the double attack on Tyrolia coming.
Turkey: No, looks like a continuation of courting Russia but keeping Con and Ank safe if he's wrong. Trust but verify.
Russia: No, as expected.
France: Oh France, no. Please no. Giving up any chance of a build in the same of self defense?
Germany: No, as expected.
England: A bit yes. I expected an Army to the continent and instead he's committing vs Russia.
Onto Spring 1902... same map as above.

Are you surprised by any of the builds the other countries entered?
Russia's A St P is interesting. I wonder if it's a hope for a short conflict only and then being able to use the Army elsewhere.
Italy's A Rom is interesting. I'd expect a fleet normally, unless he's expecting a smol French attack and wants to be able to hop Pie-Ven easily.
Everything else looks more conventional, other than France ;)
What orders are you anticipating out of the other powers in Spring 1902?
France has to realise he's made a mistake and should make a plan to get his delayed builds this turn. A Mar - Bur, A Gas - Spa, F MAO - ENG.

England wants to court Germany, but continue to ask for Belgium in exchange. A Nwy S F Den - Swe, F NTH - Bel, F ENG - MAO, F Lon - Wal

Germany is broadly happy with England, and is looking to support him vs France and Russia with a second fleet. F Den - Swe, F Kie - BAL, A Ruh - Bur, A Mun S A Ruh-Bur, A Hol S F NTH - Bel.

Italy seems committed, and I expect A Ven - Tri, A Tyr S A Ven - Tri with the expectation of a bounce, with F Tun - ION and A Rom - Apu in preparation for a convoy into Albania.

Turkey is still building towards a Russian alliance, and probably wants the F BLA out sooner rather than later. I expect A Bul S A Rum - Ser, F AEG - Gre, F Smy - East Med, A Ank - Con.

Russia built an army in the north and surely intends to use it. I doubt he wants any unnecessary problems with Germany or Turkey, and so may do: A StP - Swe, F BOT C A StP - Swe, A Rum - Bud, A Gal S A Rum - Bud, F BLA - Rum
What strategic objectives are you building towards with your Spring 1902 turn?
What orders are you entering for Spring 1902?
I want to continue to encourage Russia and Turkey to fight, while dealing with Italy as directly as possible to encourage him to look elsewhere.

F Tri - ADR
A Vie - Tyr
A Ser - Tri
A Bud S A Ser - Tri
F Gre - ION
Not really. My impression as a novice Austria is that enemies are circling and I would like find a path to divert them to attack one another. I look forward to seeing what was actually done!
One final map... The game state as of Autumn 1902, after Spring 02 adjustments.

Are you surprised by any of the orders the other countries entered?
I'm not sure I understand all the orders the other countries entered. What on earth happened in Norway/Sweden?

From what I can see and understand England and Russia now appear to be working together against Germany and leaving France alone. Russia is also moving on Turkey (surprise!) although Turkey kept trying to work with Russia and got nowhere.

Italian, Turkish and Austrian moves are mostly as expected, barring a surprise Italian move into Bohemia. Is he attacking Germany?
What orders are you anticipating out of the other powers in Autumn 1902?
What strategic objectives are you building towards with your Autumn 1902 turn?
What orders are you entering for Autumn 1902?
I couldn't begin to imagine, and I'm keen to read up on what you ended up doing ^^