Is it against the rules to make a (possible) alliance without talking simply by support holding the other players areas

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
CruaaderReynauld

Is it against the rules to make a (possible) alliance without talking simply by support holding the other players areas

#1 Post by CruaaderReynauld » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:20 pm

Yes I tried this out, we don't have the ability to talk in my game and I'm not sure if it's against the rules if we start support holding each other without saying anything to each other.

Temasek22

Re: Is it against the rules to make a (possible) alliance without talking simply by support holding the other players ar

#2 Post by Temasek22 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:37 pm

It's allowed, it's a pretty common technique in no chat games too actually

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Is it against the rules to make a (possible) alliance without talking simply by support holding the other players ar

#3 Post by dargorygel » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Absolutely... it is not against our rules. Do it early and often.

ibadibam

#4 Post by ibadibam » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:26 pm

In face-to-face gunboat games, where orders aren't limited by a user interface, you'll even see people write blatant messages to other players like "Army Serbia support Berlin-Baltic". See also Simon Szykman's 1995 article, "Communication in No-Press Diplomacy"

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#5 Post by jmo1121109 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:56 pm

Just to clarify, this is *not* why you were emailed by the mods, and you should reply to that email before posting here again.

Thanks.

CruaaderReynauld

#6 Post by CruaaderReynauld » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:00 pm

I didn't realize I was emailed by the devs! I'll go check that right away!

Percy Williams

#7 Post by Percy Williams » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:59 am

CruaaderReynauld wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:00 pm
I'd like to point out that this guarantees he posted before replying to the email ;) . Not saying this demands retribution, but It's kind of funny to read.

CruaaderReynauld

#8 Post by CruaaderReynauld » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:26 pm

Percy Williams wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:59 am
CruaaderReynauld wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:00 pm
I'd like to point out that this guarantees he posted before replying to the email ;) . Not saying this demands retribution, but It's kind of funny to read.
The email wasn't about that, my question wasn't even relevant to the issue at hand. I was actually just wondering if I was allowed to do that.