Italian Pie

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Matticus13

Italian Pie

#1 Post by Matticus13 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:51 am

Typing out load here, so thank you in advance for your input.

Italy is the least likely of the 7 Powers to come out on top, statistically speaking. Austria can either be your best friend, or immediate death. Turkey usually a threat down the line if Austria has crumbled. But, for me, France is a the largest problem more often than not.

E/F is boring, but common. If you can't convince them to fight, Italy is a natural target for France's fleets. How to slow them down or convince them to turn around...?

How about this: Ven -> Pie

It can be done unexpectedly. It could be an arranged bounce with France.

If it's the former, France is likely heading to Spain, along with other boring stuff. The idea, as I see it, is to support one of their armies (in Spain or Bur) back into Mar, preventing a fleet build. In the best case scenario, if Army Spain in trying to bounce the Italian unit or self bounce in Mar, the French fleet in MAO will be docking in Portugal. Worst case: Spain->Por, MAO->Spain SC, Bur->Mar. Certainly not ideal, but better than a fleet in Mar.

The latter idea is to arrange a bounce in Pie. In this scenario, the French fleet ends up in Portugal. A fleet build can happen in Mar, so not ideal.

I haven't seen many Italian players open this way (nor have I).

Questions:

Is Germany a necessary component in either scenario (attack or bounce)?

Can you split forces between the Eastern and Western fronts (assuming A/G/I are in cohoots) and hope to make gains anywhere, or is it all one direction?

You are France now. Does a proposed bounce in Pie deter you in the slightest from attacking Italy, or does it encourage you even more?

Any other thoughts welcome. Let us solve the puzzle of Italy together.

Claesar

Re: Italian Pie

#2 Post by Claesar » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:07 pm

France should usually be wary to accept a bounce in Pie. The alternative is sometimes better. If Italy fails to comply and let's you into Pie, you can't use that unit in a useful way and are down a centre.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

Re: Italian Pie

#3 Post by Squigs44 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:25 pm

Isn't Italian Pie just called Pizza?