LMS Mission Oktoberfest

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
woelpad

LMS Mission Oktoberfest

#1 Post by woelpad » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:20 pm

A new year, a new Zine, a new puzzle. Not a riddle this time. If anything is unclear about the setup, just ask. The link to the problem is given below. Only the first puzzle interests us here.

http://www.diplomatic-pouch.org/Zine/F2 ... unich.html

This is a so-called Last Man Standing puzzle. The premise is that you start with the usual Spring 1901 starting position and through cooperative play reduce the board to just a single unit in just 4 years time. All Standard game rules apply and nothing else.

You're given the final map after Winter 1904 with the sole surviving unit located in its final destination, which in this case is the Turkish army that started the game in Smyrna and ended up in Munich. The map shows the ownership of each supply center. As you can see, no neutral supply centers were ever captured in the course of the game, although units might have moved through on a Spring turn.

Map: http://www.diplomatic-pouch.org/Zine/F2 ... my-mun.gif
Title: Army Smyrna to Munich, After Winter 1904
Unit and Supply Center Chart:

Code: Select all

Austria (0/2)         Bud Vie                    
England (0/5)         Bre Edi Lon Lvp Par        
Italy   (0/5)         Mar Nap Rom Tri Ven        
Russia  (1/3)         Ber Mos War                
Turkey  (1/7) A Mun / Ank Con Kie Mun Sev Smy Stp
Sometimes the problem statement imposes some further conditions on how the game proceeds. One invariable condition is that at the halftime point, after Winter 1902 (at the start of 1903), all powers should still have at least one unit on the board. Furthermore in this game we're told that the supply center in Munich will change hands every single year and never to the same power as in any previous year, so that in the end only two powers will never have owned the center.

Normally you would be requested to reconstruct the entire game, but in order to make it a little more manageable, I will only ask you to answer the following two questions.
  1. List in order the power owning Munich at the end of each year.
    • W1900: Germany
    • W1901:
    • W1902:
    • W1903:
    • W1904: Turkey
  2. List all units (power, type, location) still on the board after Winter 1903, which is to say at the start of 1904. It can be proven that the maximum number of units in order to achieve the goal of a single remaining unit a year later, is 4. I'll gift you one of them.
    • Turkey: A Kie
Feel free to cooperate in order to find the solution. Accolades go to the first person in this thread who answers both questions correctly.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

Re: LMS Mission Oktoberfest

#2 Post by jmo1121109 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:06 am

I continue to be disappointed that the zine is ignoring criticism of their support for sexist commentary. And until they address it any post they make on this site will get the following posted under to it raise awareness of their continued support of sexist behaviors in the hobby. Please see the initial start of this problem here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1184
I wanted to take a moment to express my disappointment as an admin on 2 diplomacy sites with this issue of the Zine. Over the past few years all of the online diplomacy sites have made an effort to ensure our community is welcoming and non bigoted towards all groups of people. We do not allow sexism, racism, or any other type of bigotry based harassment or targeting of people. I have personally banned people for this because it is important to the community that any new members who are viewing our site for the first time see a welcoming atmosphere focused on the game. While there is obviously still work to do, the number of women on the various diplomacy sites has increased significantly over the past few years.

I am disappointed that the editors at the zine decided to hinder those efforts with a blatantly non welcoming image to all female players prevalent on this issue's main page.

"Feminism and the patriarchy duked it out in a match that crossed over into other publications. Or why you can't just skip the Princess stage on your way to becoming an Overlord."

This is highly misleading. What you've done is give someone a platform to defend themselves for being sexist in their questions and framing of how a female member of the community was able to place highly in a tournament. Taking away from that person's skill, and instead attributing the victory to their gender. It's very simple, the answer to Mario's question here: "Do I owe feminism or the female race an apology?" is yes, he does owe women an apology. As does Conrad for his admittance of targeting women in face to face diplomacy. If he had a user account on this site and said he deliberately targeted female players then he would be banned for metagaming. If the Face to Face community is wondering why there are so few women participating in their games compared to the number of women playing online they need only look at quotes like that.

So I would ask the editors at the Zine to think long and hard about the type of image they want to offer back to the community at large, and if they are really happy with how that "match" represents the community to any first time viewers who happen to be female. Giving people a platform to defend sexist views and sexist diplomacy targeting in games isn't what I expect from this community. Please do better.

Thanks,
WebDip Dev and VDip Admin

leon1122

#3 Post by leon1122 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:33 am

jmo1121109 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:06 am
I am disappointed that the editors at the zine decided to hinder those efforts with a blatantly non welcoming image to all female players prevalent on this issue's main page.
Lol at jmo abusing his power to spam SJW shit, but I’d love to see this supposedly sexist image. The only image I see on the Zine’s Main page is a kangaroo.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#4 Post by jmo1121109 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:06 am

leon1122 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:33 am
jmo1121109 wrote:
Lol at jmo abusing his power to spam SJW shit, but I’d love to see this supposedly sexist image. The only image I see on the Zine’s Main page is a kangaroo.
I don't care what you call not allowing sexism, just be sure to refrain from any of your own per the site rules.

peterwiggin
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by peterwiggin » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:36 am

leon1122 wrote:
jmo1121109 wrote:
That's a strange way to spell "Using his power to try and make our hobby a little bit more inclusive."

woelpad

#6 Post by woelpad » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:22 pm

jmo1121109 wrote:
I continue to be disappointed that the zine is ignoring criticism of their support for sexist commentary. And until they address it any post they make on this site will get the following posted under to it raise awareness of their continued support of sexist behaviors in the hobby. Please see the initial start of this problem here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1184
Thanks for pointing this out. Let me answer this in said thread, as it has nothing to do with Strategy or this puzzle.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by bo_sox48 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:02 pm

leon1122 wrote:
jmo1121109 wrote:
The supposedly sexist nature of the Zine is well documented in their own articles, and their own authors have yet to do anything about it. Perhaps you should read the post where jmo clearly outlined it and respond based on its merits as opposed to latching onto the word "image" and somehow acting like you won the day because an idiomatic use of a word went over your head.

leon1122

#8 Post by leon1122 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:29 am

bo_sox48 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:02 pm
Perhaps you should read the post where jmo clearly outlined it and respond based on its merits as opposed to latching onto the word "image" and somehow acting like you won the day because an idiomatic use of a word went over your head.
I genuinely believed that jmo was talking about a literal image, and no I will not respond to anything based on its merits because jmo has made it quite clear that he would ban me for doing so. There is no winning here.