Are the Bots improving?

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
rup

Are the Bots improving?

#1 Post by rup » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:48 pm

My first forays into playing the Bots resulted in quite a few solos.
More recently though I seem to be getting unceremoniously annihilated early on in the games.

Are they improving?

My more existential concern is that they may have outgrown their programming and are now actively picking on humans....

Claesar

Re: Are the Bots improving?

#2 Post by Claesar » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:55 pm

The only change we've brought about is that there are now two distinct bot playstyles; the old faithful ally, and a more aggressive type that's willing to stab allies.

They are not improving.

They cannot distinguish humans and can therefore do not actuvely pick on humans.

rup

#3 Post by rup » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:52 pm

Well I'm relieved the're not colluding.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#4 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:35 am

My experiences in my initial foray against the BlighterDalekBots is that in one v one encounters they are​ barely above political puppet level and can be defeated reasonably easily, and I was able to get into a very strong position quickly then slow up and torment the hapless BlighterDalekBot.
After the novelty of defeating the BlighterDalekBots in one v one I ventured into Classic and fighting six BlighterDalekBots at the same time.

That is far more interesting, but it's really a form of grubby Gunboat style games, so..meh
I got solo wins with England and Russia.against them. Observed a lot of stupid strategies, they are useless allies and do some incredibly dumb things. But they're like a pack of stupid hyenas in terms of opportunistic aggressive moves against a chap, so I've gone back to playing with humans, they're much better at conversation & diplomacy.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#5 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:40 am

Oh Claesar, are the two types identifiable by name? Or can a ZultarB. No I can't write it. Not Omnipotent Zultar's revered name in connection with a fiendishly untrustworthy BlighterDalekBot, I won't do it.

rup

#6 Post by rup » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:02 pm

Claesar thanks for the explanation.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but...I have played another couple more games against the bots and they have allowed me to win. They may have realised that their cover was nearly blown.

Humans clearly make better sport. But the Bots do have two small attractions that humans don't.

Firstly: The technology is fascinating. They can beat us at Chess and Go. Gunboat diplomacy has more dimensions but I do wonder how long it will be before they could handle it better humans.

Secondly: They are prepared to play in a way that humans would not tolerate. They will move immediately when I want their attention and will then sit patiently waiting at their keyboards for a couple days whilst I completely ignore them and still come in, wagging their tails, and ready to play the moment I return.