WebDiplomacy and Data

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
TomareUtsuZo

WebDiplomacy and Data

#1 Post by TomareUtsuZo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:15 am

I am taking some data science classes for my final uni year. I want to know if there is any database on here with a record of all the games. Moves, messaging stat's, sanitized player data (I kinda want to be able to look at moves and games of noobs and grey beards).

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

Re: WebDiplomacy and Data

#2 Post by Squigs44 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:02 am

Hello,

There is certainly a database full of data. Your best bet is to email the mods at [email protected]. Note that webdiplomacy strives to be responsible with their data, so they aren't going to just give you access to the database, but there are certain ways they can help. In your email, detail out your situation, the project you plan on doing, and as many details as you can.

I just finished my final year in an applied mathematics program that specialized in data science, and I did a project surrounding diplomacy, so feel free to reach out to me if you need help / want to bounce around ideas with someone. I have background in data science, I'm a dev for webdiplomacy, and I just finished school, so I would consider myself a fairly valuable resource in those respects.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

Re: WebDiplomacy and Data

#3 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri May 01, 2020 6:41 am

Welcome to webdiplomacy TomareUtzoZo. Good luck with your University studies, I'm always encouraged when I read posts from young whippersnappers like your post and the reply from Squigs44. I wonder what your​ expectations about choices made by different ranked groups of players. We have some most experienced political puppets who have played many games at webdiplomacy. Political puppets are not always newbies & there's more than the two divisions, political puppets and diplomats. There's also the Ghost rating system, about which you should enquire imho.
I'm interested in whether you find a greater than expected number of, I think they are called, "outlier" data, whatever it is that represents those wacky, daffy types who don't fit in good proper Christian ways onto the Bell curves & other criteria of analysis. One of the virtues of the webdiplomacy community is we encourage eccentricity.