Travel Destinations

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Durga

Travel Destinations

#1 Post by Durga » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:16 am

So we've got quite a global community here and I imagine some of you have traveled a lot, or at least live in beautiful places! I want to know what your favourite/strangest travel experiences have been. Where you would recommend someone to check out, or stay away from (I think I'm going to spend 4 months travelling this summer - likely in Asia but who knows). Your favourite travel blogs, books, vlogs, etc.

ND

Re: Travel Destinations

#2 Post by ND » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:32 am

Hey! Welcome to the forum! Anyway, I've been to Morocco. It's a wonderful place, you should visit!

Durga

#3 Post by Durga » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:50 am

Thanks for the welcome :) Do you have specific destinations you would recommend?

ND

#4 Post by ND » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:52 am

Casablanca was great as was Marrakesh.

grumbledook
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#5 Post by grumbledook » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:57 am

Morocco is on my bucket list. A friend of mine went last year and made me jealous.

I was in Iceland last year. Reynisfjara (the black beach) was one of the most otherworldly things I’ve ever seen. Basalt pillars, black volcanic sand, crashing surf. It was a magical place. Definitely the highlight of an already amazing trip.

Strangest? Every time I’ve been to New Orleans. That city is magical in a different way.

What part of Asia? I’ve been to China but that was way back in 1993. I’m sure it has changed a lot since then.

CAPT Brad

#6 Post by CAPT Brad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:13 am

Pshaw! My destination is the SouthPole. I had an opportunity to go as a high school student but had to give it up to attend a prep school to go to the college I wanted to attend.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by bo_sox48 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:21 am

Asia is huge. Anything specific?

As far as where I have been, Japan was pretty cool, as was China, but neither really struck me as a place I just had to experience. The Middle East has some really cool destinations as well but obviously you need to do some research on what is and isn't safe before you go. Jordan is gorgeous and the people are super friendly, but it's stupidly hot in the summer. Dubai is horrifying in every way, please don't go there. Israel has some awesome spots too and the blended history of so many different religions is amazing, but it's also stupidly hot in the summer. Nepal is on my bucket list and I might get to go there this summer if I get the invite I'm hoping for.

CAPT Brad

#8 Post by CAPT Brad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:38 am

Places I have been.
Hawaii twelve times, (every big island but the big island)
Korea, eleven times.
Japan five times,
Kenya once,
Austrailia, three times,
Thailand once,
Singapore once,
Poland once,
Czech twice,
Rumania and Slovakia once,
Vienna once,
Germany twice,
England twice,
Canada four times, Halifax, thunder bay and Vancouver (2times),
Mexico four times,
All but one states of the US (Kansas),
Guam once
The Philppines seven times,
Saipan once.
Hong Kong once,
Pakistan once,
Sri Lanka once,
Bahrain twice,
Italy once,
France twice.

CAPT Brad

#9 Post by CAPT Brad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:39 am

Oh and Diego Garcia and massirah island, Oman

Octavious

#10 Post by Octavious » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:57 am

Morocco is ok. I wouldn't rate it as bucket list material though. And I'm extremely curious about what was great about Casablanca :P.

The Atlas mountains are pretty great, as it's nice to go somewhere green and wet with a bit of snow after being in Marrakech for a few days. Marrakech itself is an experience. The locals can't drive for toffee, but they try very hard, and seem to be competing at a version of buckaroo on motorbikes. Five people and luggage on the one bike was holding the record as we left. The markets were shite. There's basically two types. The tourist crap in which every stall looks the same and is full of tat made it in China, and the food stalls for locals that have swarms of flies and cats. The big square is basically a circus dedicated to animal cruelty. The gardens, though, are quite pleasant, and the palaces have a charm about them. A good Riad to escape the hustle is a must.

Oh, when we were there women had started wearing onesies as an approximation of Islamic dress. Yeah, I guess it covers the body and head well, but seeing a clearly devout old girl walking through town in what is unmistakably a Tigger costume takes a bit of getting used to.

Rabat is a nice place. Reminded me a lot of Plymouth. Fez is well worth a visit. The Roman ruins are always good, and it's nice to see writing on buildings you can actually read. Avoid the Jewish quarters unless you want to get very depressed and develop a new appreciation for the necessity of Israel. Tagine is lovely unless you have to eat it for two weeks.

Oh yeah, and the calls to prayer really suck. Especially the dawn one.

JamesYanik

#11 Post by JamesYanik » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:33 am

Switzerland if you want the snow

California coast if you want the beach

Oklahoma if you want to have snow on Monday, 100 degree weather Tuesday, and die on Wednesday from 18 tornadoes killing your trailer park ass.

Lord_Toffington

#12 Post by Lord_Toffington » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:53 am

Georgia (The country) : The mountains are incredible, the food is amazing and the wine is the best I have ever drank. I really cannot recommend Georgia enough. Hiking can be a little tricky sometimes due to poorly marked trails though

Poland/Slovakia: The Tatra mountains are absolutely breathtaking and the trails are well marked which makes hiking easier. Polish food is also pretty nice, if a little heavy.

Swiss/French alps: If you like skiing you'll struggle to find anywhere better, can be slightly expensive though.

Belgium: Belgium is probably one of the most underrated destinations in Europe, beautiful cities, incredible beer and amazing food (especially if you've drank a few of those strong beers)

Naples: This will seem like an odd choice, Naples is rundown and fairly crime ridden. That being said the city is still deeply impressive, especially once you move away from the center. It also has a number of my favorite restaurants including the best pizzeria I have ever been to Pizzeria Trianon.

Unfortunately my experience in Asia is limited to Singapore however I can confirm that it is worth going there just for the day/night zoos.

damo666

#13 Post by damo666 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:02 pm

Inner Mongolia for something different

yavuzovic

#14 Post by yavuzovic » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:28 pm

North Korea for something more different.

Octavious

#15 Post by Octavious » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:34 pm

Best place in the world for the sheer awe factor has to be Egypt, specifically the temples in the Luxor region. The pyramids are soso, and the tombs are a bit shit (a hole in the ground is a hole in the ground), but the temples are stunning.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with Stonehenge at a 3, Knossos at 1.5, and the Colosseum at 5, the temples score a solid 9

Hellenic Riot
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#16 Post by Hellenic Riot » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:55 pm

Egypt was amazing. The whole Luxor - Aswan region is fantastic. But, given the current circumstances there, I'm not convinced I'd go again just now.

My only experience of Asia is from Turkey, and security there isn't what it used to be either.

Iran's definitely worth doing though.

Octavious

#17 Post by Octavious » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:48 pm

Hellenic Riot wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:55 pm
Egypt was amazing. The whole Luxor - Aswan region is fantastic. But, given the current circumstances there, I'm not convinced I'd go again just now.
It'd be quiet, though :)

Durga

#18 Post by Durga » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:20 pm

Actually Lord Toff, I'm gonna message you about Georgia because I've been doing a bit of research on it and I've heard nothing but amazing things so far.

EstonianLongDong

#19 Post by EstonianLongDong » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:33 pm

I have visited Norway, a lovely bunch, the Fjords are unlike anything else ive seen...highly recommended

Jamiet99uk

#20 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:56 pm

The Shetland Islands (in the North Sea, part of the UK but further north than the rest of it) are lovely in summer if you like the outdoors. Very friendly people, ruggedly beautiful scenery.

Norway is great too - but be prepared for everyday things to be shockingly expensive.

I really enjoyed Cape Town even if it was a bit too warm for me.