Travel Destinations

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
diplomat61

Re: Travel Destinations

#101 Post by diplomat61 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:02 pm

VillageIdiot wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:20 pm
I’ve attempted to do research of people who have travelled and most I’ve heard is that if you stay away from troubled spots and borders it has a relatively safe feel to it. Did Amman not come across as safe in your experience?
Amman, and Damascus for that matter, both felt safe at the time, but it was the early 90s.

Feeling safe and being safe are not the same thing.

Durga

#102 Post by Durga » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:13 pm

Restitution wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:50 pm
How do you have the time and money to do all this travel? Incredibly jealous :O
you're probably envisioning a very different type of travelling than what i actually do lol which is very budget (ie hostels and street food and wine that comes in cartons. i probably spent less than 5k canadian for 3.5 months in southeast asia)

the israel/jordan trip was with family anyway because we had a wedding to attend in israel. so i didn't pay or plan any of it :))) costa rica was with fam too. i'm pretty lucky bc i have a family that has the means and desire to travel a lot.

Durga

#103 Post by Durga » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:19 pm

also when flights are the most expensive individual thing you will spend your money on (if you're staying in hostels that cost you 10 CAD a night and things like that) then it's not really economic to do trips for 2 weeks. i've done two long trips so far and will be starting my third in about a month after I'm done working for the summer. so while it seems like i travel often (which may be true if you factor in family trips) it's mostly that i see a lot of things when i leave the country. I'm a grad student so I have a lot more time than most people AND I'm going on exchange which is a great way to travel while still studying.

Durga

#104 Post by Durga » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:21 pm

oh also pick cheap fucking destinations and make friends so you can stay with them for free (ie you're not gonna catch me dead in Norway)

Restitution

#105 Post by Restitution » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:27 pm

Durga wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:13 pm
you're probably envisioning a very different type of travelling than what i actually do lol which is very budget (ie hostels and street food and wine that comes in cartons. i probably spent less than 5k canadian for 3.5 months in southeast asia)

the israel/jordan trip was with family anyway because we had a wedding to attend in israel. so i didn't pay or plan any of it :))) costa rica was with fam too. i'm pretty lucky bc i have a family that has the means and desire to travel a lot.
Oh, I also do hostel traveling - I backpacked in Europe and Central America for 7 months after I graduated and spent maybe $15k Canadian. It's more the lack of income than the actual cost of traveling. Unfortunately I now have a full-time career and don't really see any opportunities to take that much time off for a loooong ass time.

What's your occupation that you have so much time - do you work while you travel (or are you a student?)

Durga

#106 Post by Durga » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:33 pm

omg so you've seen more than me!!! jeez!!!

i did a work/study in my undergrad and made a bunch of money then and have been v lucky to not have to pay much of my own expenses while i study. i traveled the summer after i graduated and the summer after i finished my first year of law school. used most of it up now, am working this summer, going on exchange in the fall. after i graduate law school i will be in the same boat so i'm trying to enjoy myself as much as i can now.

Durga

#107 Post by Durga » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:38 pm

you know the aussies always do it right. whenever i meet any of them travelling they always tell me that they just quit their job and they're travelling for 2 years or something ridiculous. that's goals.

Fluminator

#108 Post by Fluminator » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:27 pm

diplomat61 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:59 pm
Fluminator wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:19 pm
This thread will be useful for me soon because I'm finally debt free and making money lol. Never been able to leave North America before.
You are in for a treat, but how do you choose where to go first?

On my first trip to India I was in a minibus with a bunch of Americans who had never left NA before, I spent as much time watching and listening to them as I did looking out of the windows.
It would be between Peru, Tanzania, or China.
Peru because I find the Incan civilization fascinating and want to get a closer look. (Amazon rainforest would be cool too.)
Tanzania because I really want to climb Kilimanjaro. (I love hiking and live near the Rockies)
And China because I have family there, and I’ve never actually visited yet.

The last one would have been the most likely but political tensions between Canada and China are really ramping up so who knows how long that stays an option.

diplomat61

#109 Post by diplomat61 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:56 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:27 pm
If you do Tanzania make sure you see the Serengeti too.

Unless you misbehave I cannot see the Canada-China tension being an issue.

Deeply_Dippy

#110 Post by Deeply_Dippy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:26 pm

Sri Lanka is beuatiful

Octavious

#111 Post by Octavious » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:48 am

Pretty much every country has beautiful parts, for at least part of the year. Remarkably few are comfortable to live in. I think it must have a lot to do with your childhood. The climate you grow up with is the climate you're happiest with.

I'd be happy to pay a fair amount of money to visit somewhere like Sri Lanka. That is dwarfed by the vast sums I would spend to avoid having to live there.

damo666

#112 Post by damo666 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:53 am

Going to Budapest on Wednesday for a few days. Anyone any tips?

Foxcastle

#113 Post by Foxcastle » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:27 pm

damo666 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:53 am
Going to Budapest on Wednesday for a few days. Anyone any tips?
Highly, highly recommend doing the baths. Gellert is the one I've been to, but I think Széchenyi is the other big popular one. Especially as a way to relax after getting off the plane or after a day of walking around.

Great views from the Citadel hill (lots of paths).

Go to a ruin bar.

(This in addition to the usual sights to see like Matthias Church and Fishermans' Bastion and other cathedrals/castles/etc.)

diplomat61

#114 Post by diplomat61 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:12 pm

I like to wander around a city rather than visit specific places.

Gellert Hill on the Buda side has lots to see.

Pest side is from a completely different area and thus must be seen too.

Durga

#115 Post by Durga » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:26 pm

oh you should stay in Pest not in Buda, go to Szimpla at night, go on a river cruise at night because seeing Parliament lit up is the best thing you can do in Budapest

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#116 Post by flash2015 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:13 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:27 pm
diplomat61 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:59 pm
Fluminator wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:19 pm
This thread will be useful for me soon because I'm finally debt free and making money lol. Never been able to leave North America before.
You are in for a treat, but how do you choose where to go first?

On my first trip to India I was in a minibus with a bunch of Americans who had never left NA before, I spent as much time watching and listening to them as I did looking out of the windows.
Peru because I find the Incan civilization fascinating and want to get a closer look. (Amazon rainforest would be cool too.)
Tanzania because I really want to climb Kilimanjaro. (I love hiking and live near the Rockies)
And China because I have family there, and I’ve never actually visited yet.

The last one would have been the most likely but political tensions between Canada and China are really ramping up so who knows how long that stays an option.
How do you plan to travel? Completely on your own and hopefully/potentially meet up with other travellers on the way? Or start with something more organized...then later perhaps venture out on your own?

damo666

#117 Post by damo666 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:22 am

Thanks Fox, diplomat61 and Durga!